Alzheimers Logo

Student10

May 19, 2009
What kind of icon would you like to see represent the Alzheimer's Society as part of their logo?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Student10

perhaps it would be helpful to everyone if you explained why you have registered here on Talking Point, and why you ask the question?

Do you have any experience of dementia in any way?

If everyone agreed that *something* was what they thought best, where would that lead?

I'm confused, frankly... :confused:

Student10

May 19, 2009
Sorry I'm new to using forums. I am a Design Student currently working on the Promax Award Brief in conjunction with the Alzheimer's Society.

This is our brief
http://www.promax-uk.org/r-nav/1046.jsp

I just wanted to get some primary research of what people with Alzheimer's would like to see represent their society.

Thankyou

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'll put my pennysworth in: the primary problem that I see is that while the Alzheimer's Society is called the Alzheimer's Society, they actually deal with all forms of dementia. So any logo that emphasized that would be a good thing in my book. When I was looking for help after my mother's stroke, this wasn't the first place I looked by any means, because she didn't have Alzheimer's.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Question:

Why is the 'the' gone?

Is it now "Alzheimer's Society"?

Without it still being "The Alzheimer's Society".

Mighty strange use of language, but there may be a reason.

Just looks strange whenever you read an article, and it goes along the lines of "blah blah blah blah, and XYZ of Alzheimer's Society said ...." with the The missing.

Has anyone else noticed that The Alzheimer's Society is now Alzheimer's Society? Or has it always been thus and I never noticed?

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Student10,

Just trying to understand some basic facts here.

This is a competition it seems:

http://www.promax-uk.org/r-nav/1006.jsp

Is that right?

No, specific problem with that. At least you've shown some initiative in finding this discussion board.

And as this is a public forum (this thread should probably under the Researchers, Students, etc. heading) all the other students who come looking (or Google the right terms) will be able to see the replies.

If you search around the site a bit (have to do the basic research, like any good project), you might find a thread about the Skin TV commercial.

Also, a number of people from the Alzheimer's Society look at Talking Point regularly, so they will have a fair idea of the responses you have got.

Good luck with your project - it will be interesting to see what fresh young minds bring to a difficult set of issues.

Take care,

Sandy

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
I have to say I agree with Jennifer. I stumbled across this because my mum was diagnosed with "Alzheimer's" but after reading the info on the Society's website, I realised she's actually more akin to the Vascular profile.

Whatever her diagnosis, she has Dementia, plain and simple. Whatever we want to call it, her condition remains the same and is untreatable, and the best support I have is from this forum.

I'd therefore stress the dementia angle, rather than just Alzheimer's.

Thanks

Vonny xx

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Question:
Why is the 'the' gone? Is it now "Alzheimer's Society"?
Without it still being "The Alzheimer's Society". Mighty strange use of language, but there may be a reason. Just looks strange whenever you read an article, and it goes along the lines of "blah blah blah blah, and XYZ of Alzheimer's Society said ...." with the The missing. Has anyone else noticed that The Alzheimer's Society is now Alzheimer's Society? Or has it always been thus and I never noticed?.
I checked back on BBC news & could not find AS being reported as The AS - only I don't know if the ADS was the precursor of AS (= A Disease Society) - as here in 1998 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/latest_news/129409.stm

but that was not The ADS either

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I would say dementia is like a path which starts very narrow in one corner of a page in colours of yellow and green and has small twists in it, geting ever wider, twisting this way and that, slowly turning crimson, always knotting itself on the way until at the top, there is only purple path and no page left.

TinaT

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
1979 to 2000

The organisation we now know as Alzheimer's Society was formed back in 1979, when two people with extensive experience of caring for loved ones with dementia discussed the pressing need to raise awareness of dementia and to improve the quality of care, support and information for people with dementia and their carers.

This led to the creation of the 'Alzheimer's Disease Society'. A steering committee was formed, consisting of carers and medical professionals, and the first annual general meeting was held on 13 September 1980. This first AGM was attended by 98 members and supporters. The first Newsletter was published in January 1981. A development officer was employed at around this time, and the first branches were established in Oxford and Bromley in 1980 and 1981 respectively.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200126&documentID=81

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Student10

thanks for your information.

Although your research is not overtly about experiences, it is still research, so I would recommend you contact Katherine Watt [member name KatherineW], the Talking Point Co-ordinator at Alzheimer's Society [no, they do not use 'the', at least these days].

Talking Point Conditions of Use said:
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=about_talking_point#faq_info_for_research_students_professionals

Researchers, students and professionals - please read

We are trying to develop a consistent approach to those wishing to post on Talking Point about research.

The reason for this is that we are responsible for ensuring that members' personal data is going to be used in an appropriate way.

We can only ensure this if we either

• have information from an academic institution that tells us that any research project has been subject to a formal ethics approval process, or
  • know that a project has been funded and/or is being supervised by the Alzheimer's Society (in which case we would hope that it would be subject to similarly rigorous guidelines)
It would be helpful if anyone interested in posting a message about research - whether connected to Alzheimer's Society or not - could contact Katherine Watt, Talking Point Co-ordinator (Katherine) before they post. This would hopefully help to avoid any confusion, whilst assuring members that the invitations to be involved in research that are posted here, have been checked out by the Alzheimer's Society.

Out of courtesy to Talking Point members, we request that researchers, professionals and students DO NOT contact people by private message about their work.

Please post publicly in the 'Researchers, students and professionals' section. This allows people who wish to help you to do so.

We cannot allow the forum to be used to recruit participants for any studies.

We cannot allow researchers, students or professionals to ask Talking Point members for their personal contact details and strongly advise people not to give out any contact or personal information over the internet.

Journalists and writers who are researching material for books, articles or media stories should contact the Society's press office on press@alzheimers.org.uk.

Students, professionals and researchers are also reminded that they can contact the Alzheimer's Society library.

[members will note that 'the' appears here, though I suspect, not for long... ;)]

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
On a personal note I agree with Jennifer - though goodness knows how the many dementias might be represented in a logo - that Dementia, not just Alzheimer's is the key thing.

Good luck in your project!

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Is a forget-me-not flower used by any other charity? Or a rosemary flower? ("Rosemary is for remembrance" ) . You can tell I like gardening! Flowers make easy, attractive badges and the message is clear with a forget-me-not: don't leave people with dementia forgotten.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
does it look like this?

Attachments

• 110309335080_7.jpg
    110309335080_7.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 785

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Forget me nots

I planted Forget me nots in my garden and although they spread each year they multiply just like the number of people who are diagnoised with this herrendous illness.

Christine

Student10

May 19, 2009
Thankyou everyone for the feedback so far. I have been reading up alot on the website about different types of Alzheimer's to get a beter understanding of the client I am designing for.

As part of the project we have to also create a poster and viral that will compliment the Skin Commercial so that has been taken into consideration.

I like the idea of using the logo to convey a journey as suggested starting small and becoming big. But I also wanted to feature maybe an illustration of two people together as when reading through projects such as Alzheimer's 100 carers play a key part too. This would also signify that the Society is there to support you.

I think as a brand it is unusual to call themselves the Alzheimers society when this is only one form of Dimentia and may not be the first thought when typing into a search engine as mentioned previous.

Thankyou again for everyones replies so far!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carol Diane