Alzheimers and divorce

Amber123

Apr 30, 2019
my husband has Alzheimer's and has turned against me. He has moved in with a woman who also has dementia. He wants a divorce and to split our money. I don't know what to do as I don't know whether he is capable of makes good these decisions. He has stripped our house of many of my possessions which I am trying to get back. My daughters have LPAs for him. Does anyone have experience of this situation?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Amber123, what a dreadful situation for you.

I can't say that I have seen this situation discussed before so may I suggest that If you want to talk it through with anyone the experts on the help line can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Amber123

Apr 30, 2019
my husband has Alzheimer's and has turned against me. He has moved in with a woman who also has dementia. He wants a divorce and to split our money. I don't know what to do as I don't know whether he is capable of makes good these decisions. He has stripped our house of many of my possessions which I am trying to get back. My daughters have LPAs for him. Does anyone have experience of this situation?
Sorry for the spell check errors. I meant to say that I don't know whether he is capable of making decisions.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
How awful!
What do the daughters think?
I suppose its one thing to move in with someone, quite another to consent to marriage.

is the lady mor eor less capable then him, or dont you know ( or perhaps dont want to know) I think what I mean is, do you think she s taking advantage?

Amber123

Apr 30, 2019
Hello, @Jessbow. My daughters feel as helpless as me. My husband has a temper, and is unpredictable. I don't know what to think about the 'other' woman. She is enjoying his attention, and it doesn't seem like exploitation. However I am thinking about raising a safeguarding issue, but I'm frightened that it will make things worse

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Amber123 and welcome from me too

it's not at all unusual for someone with a diagnosis to turn against the one closest to them (I suspect it's a way of placing the 'blame' for the feeling that something is not right but not being able to rationalise what it is that is wrong, because it can't be them, they are fine)

a divorce would very much alter your situation and future, I am wondering how you feel about all that it would entail

if a solicitor is doubtful that your husband has the capacity to understand this decision, I don't think they would proceed

I do think you need legal advice and some solicitors will offer a free initial chat .. maybe one who deals with 'elder' issues may have some experience of situations such as yours
this site might help
https://societyoflaterlifeadvisers.co.uk

PS having just read your reply above .. it may be good for both your husband and the woman concerned if you did raise your concerns with the Local Authority Adult Services

and it may be wise to look to your own finances, to have your own accounts