Alzheimers and Diabetes

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I thought you might be interested to see this from the Alzheimers Daily News today:-

Dementia Looks Different in Diabetic Brain

(Source: Archives of Neurology) - People with diabetes who develop dementia have different types of brain changes than others with dementia, said U.S. researchers.

Dr. Suzanne Craft, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound in Washington, and colleagues found that non-diabetics with dementia had an excess of sticky clumps in the brain known as beta-amyloid plaques. Diabetics, especially those who took insulin, had injuries to small blood vessels in the brain and more swelling in nerve tissue.

"It suggests that there may be two pathways contributing to the dementia," said Dr. Craft. "These two pathways may require different forms of treatment."

Go to full story: reuters.com

Best wishes

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
And yet...

Eric does not have diabetes....

MRI scan shows he has the amyloid plaques related to AD..

He also has small vessel vascular disease...in the inner brain...which I think this is what they're discussing...:confused:

It's almost 3 years since his MRI...

And recently I have witnessed what I believe to be TIAs..

But he is not diabetic..recent blood tests have shown that.

I don't dispute the research...the more the better...

It's the only way forward..

Love gigi xx

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
Remembering to take insulin

I know this is slightly off the subject, but any ideas for dealing with problem of Mum not taking insulin? When the diabetic nurse asks she always says she takes it, but lat time she had a test her level was 30 (should be between 4 and 7)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear AuntiP

I have no experience of diabetes personally but I remembered people have mentioned it before. If you go onto search in the green line above, type in insulin. You will then see a list of threads and one of them is "Dementia and Insulin Dependant Diabetes" by Baillie. You might find it helpful.

Love and best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear AuntieP
I would write to the diabetic nurse and tell her your mother is unable to be relied on to take the correct medication. Also she cannot be relied on to give the right answers to questions.

Dear Helen,
Dhiren`s GP told me his dementia might be caused by poor circulation to the brain, which would result in small vessel vascular disease. He does not yet use insulin, his diabetes is controlled by diet and medication.
He has also been told he has Alzheimers, so he has mixed dementia.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Helen,

Thanks for posting this.

One important point from this slightly more technical report of this research (http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Diabetes/12415 )

Dr. Craft and colleagues said it was unlikely that treatment itself was responsible for the apparently increased microvascular damage. Rather, the treated patients probably had more severe diabetes.

Wouldn't want anyone to think that their treatment was responsible for vascular damage when it is really the raised blood sugars.

Take care,

Sandy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I know this is slightly off the subject, but any ideas for dealing with problem of Mum not taking insulin?

Yes my mother sister .

30 is not good at all. it can be life threating if your mother does not take her insulin . So if your mother not taking it, Call doctor right away inform him what happening even if its out of hours. Call get advise or phone NHS direct if your worried not sure to call doctor , am sure they tell you to call doctor .

Does your mother not have a district nurse coming out checking on her ?

Thanks for that Link Helen , as my mother was told she had AZ from a Scan in another country , then told its VD in England with out brain Scan, sure there right . I must print that out .

Last edited: