Alzheimers and depression

skylt8

May 22, 2024
Hi its my first thread. My mum has early onset Alzheimers (started in her 50's, now 65). She's been in a care home for about 6 months. First few months she constantly asked to go home, everytime I visited. Since then her speech, which has always been affected by the Alzheimers, has become so bad I can't understand her at all. However I fear she is just making the same request but in an indecipherable way. She cries A LOT! I often find shes been crying when i go to visit, cries when i take her back. She has some good days mind you but few and far between. Some of the care home residents say she's waking them up at 5am crying. She's very recently started with sudden bursts of crying/sobbing and then just as quickly snaps out of it when I ask if she's OK. I'm not a deputy on her LPA but will try the doctors tomorrow. Just wondered though if there was any advice, or recommended medications? She's currently taking sertraline but seems desperately unhappy.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @skylt8 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Dementia is a cruel disease and your mum was diagnosed at such a young age, it must be so difficult for you to see her so distressed. Forum members are not able to give advice on medication, but her GP might be able to suggest something to help with her distress.

Depression is very common in people who have dementia and I have attached a link to some information on dementia and depression which may help you.

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Hi its my first thread. My mum has early onset Alzheimers (started in her 50's, now 65). She's been in a care home for about 6 months. First few months she constantly asked to go home, everytime I visited. Since then her speech, which has always been affected by the Alzheimers, has become so bad I can't understand her at all. However I fear she is just making the same request but in an indecipherable way. She cries A LOT! I often find shes been crying when i go to visit, cries when i take her back. She has some good days mind you but few and far between. Some of the care home residents say she's waking them up at 5am crying. She's very recently started with sudden bursts of crying/sobbing and then just as quickly snaps out of it when I ask if she's OK. I'm not a deputy on her LPA but will try the doctors tomorrow. Just wondered though if there was any advice, or recommended medications? She's currently taking sertraline but seems desperately unhappy.
My mum is on sertraline,but she also seems very very sad when I visit,although the staff tell me that she's in good spirits.. . I would hate for mum to be too 'medicated' and asleep more than awake...
Mum is on 50mg which seems high,I'm not sure..
Hope you can speak to someone and get some help
Best of luck

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I'm sorry to read about your mum crying so much. Very upsetting for both of you. I hope you managed to speak to the doctor and he took you seriously. There are many different anti-depressants and dosages but often they take a while to have effect and sometimes no effect.
. I would hate for mum to be too 'medicated' and asleep more than awake...
I do understand this sentiment but maybe in cases like this it's better to be asleep a lot than being so upset you're crying all the time, if those are the only 2 alternatives.

Newbie 3

Jan 2, 2024
My Mum is on Sertraline 150mg (3 x 50mg for ease of swallowing), I think the maximum is 200mg. It does seem to help and I don't think she seems over medicated. Mum still cries but its mainly in the morning and usually ends at lunch or sometimes sooner

skylt8

May 22, 2024
My mum is on sertraline,but she also seems very very sad when I visit,although the staff tell me that she's in good spirits.. . I would hate for mum to be too 'medicated' and asleep more than awake...
Mum is on 50mg which seems high,I'm not sure..
Hope you can speak to someone and get some help
Best of luck
Thanks, care home staff have never voluntarily told me anything they don't think I'll want to hear but, when I present them with an eye witness account of what I think is actually going on, then they do occassionally soften and you can have a reasonable conversation with them.

Today I was told she's not doing well. She's very unhappy. Spent hours calling around trying to find her doctor. Eventually spoke to her surgery and they passed my concerns to the doctor. Received a text message from the doctor to say she will be assessed at the next ward round. Seems that's the best you can hope for these days.

skylt8

May 22, 2024
My Mum is on Sertraline 150mg (3 x 50mg for ease of swallowing), I think the maximum is 200mg. It does seem to help and I don't think she seems over medicated. Mum still cries but its mainly in the morning and usually ends at lunch or sometimes sooner
OK, my Mums on 100mg so perhaps room to increase. Sad really though that the answer is too often more medication. Just wish there was a way to keep her safe, keep her well looked after and, allow her some independence at the same time.

skylt8

May 22, 2024
I'm sorry to read about your mum crying so much. Very upsetting for both of you. I hope you managed to speak to the doctor and he took you seriously. There are many different anti-depressants and dosages but often they take a while to have effect and sometimes no effect.

I do understand this sentiment but maybe in cases like this it's better to be asleep a lot than being so upset you're crying all the time, if those are the only 2 alternatives.
Thanks for your reply. The doctor has said they will assess her on their next ward round (whenever that might be - just received a text message so not able to ask). The care home said they were gathering evidence to refer on to [sounded like 'chess'??] a mental health service but could be a fortnight before they get round to assessing her. All very distressing.

skylt8

May 22, 2024
Hello @skylt8 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Dementia is a cruel disease and your mum was diagnosed at such a young age, it must be so difficult for you to see her so distressed. Forum members are not able to give advice on medication, but her GP might be able to suggest something to help with her distress.

Depression is very common in people who have dementia and I have attached a link to some information on dementia and depression which