Alzheimer's & a possible will contest

blast

Sep 4, 2011
Hi all

New here so a big hello from me ;)

I will try to keep this brief and only factor on the dimentia aspect.

My Father has recently died in his will he leaves a larger portion of his estate to myself than he does to my other siblings. They are not happy they believe he was not mentaly capable of making a will as they believe he had alzhemers when the will was written. He was not diagnosed as having alzheimers until 2-4 months after. Roughly one year later he was also diagnosed with Vascular dimentia so he possibly had dual forms of dimentia. I believe when the will was written he may have had stage 1 or stage 2 Alzhheimers. The main impedament my father had he was first diagnosed with alzheimers was he forgot words in a sentance and had to replace them with made up words like the thingamejig. We noted that thingamejigs seemed to be on the increase. When he was diagnosed with vascualr dimentia we were told by a doctor he would have had this for a while (period unknown) and it was this that was affecting his speech rather than the alzheimers as the alzheimers was in early stages. So at the time of will writting he possibly had early stage alzheimers and early stage Vasular dimentia. Thats the medical stuff.

I am an executor on this will and also the larger benneficary so I hold some power in this matter. My siblings wish for me to agree to an even split of the estate due to the possible dual dimentia otherwise they may challenge the will. I sat with my Father and my Mother (now passed) and spoke with both of them about the reasons the will was written more in my favour. My Father in my own opinion expressed valid opinions and was fully understanding of what he was saying.

So I am now looking at what to do? I can protest the will is safe and go to a possible will contest. The will is valid and signed by witness's and in the presence of the company who went ot the house to make the will. My mothers will which was a mirror will passed probate with no questions (She did not have dimentia). Or I can go for a split which I believe goes against what my father wanted as his last wishs.

Medically how much of a case for a will contest do you think my siblings have? and whould they be likely to win? I dont want to cause people to spend money unduely on legal fees if the case is obvious one way or the other. Anyone who has experience in this field or has had a previous problem your advice would be much welcomed.

There are other possible additions to the potential will contest such as undue influence by my mother due to his dimentia and other matters too though for this discussion would just like to stick to the dimentia aspect.

Any views much appreciated.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Hi Blast

I really do not have any knowledge about the legal aspects and validity of your father's will and unfortunately cannot offer you any useful help.

Personally my greater concern would be your relationship with your siblings, especially as both your parent have now sadly died. There are obvious situations where parents may leave more money to one particular sibling, such as they would benefit most from the money or that they had dedicated part of their lives to looking after their parents. Beyond that I could imagine a feeling that a parent favoured one child (be it a grown up child) over another, and that is a very hard thing to deal with.

I suspect that once you start going down the legal route of contesting wills there will inevitably financial winners and losers, but at what price where relationships are concerned. At the risk of going against your father's last wishes it may be better to think about the future and not the past.

Sue

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Blast, you need to see a solicitor for legal advice.

You won't be able to get much help on this forum because we're not aware of all the facts. And it's those facts that you would need to put before someone who is trained to deal with Wills and potential challenges to the Will. Not all challenges may have anything to do with dementia, or Alzheimer's, or even the date of diagnosis. So you may hold no power at all, even tho' you have been named as Executor.

It may also depend on the witnesses, let alone the company that created the will for your Dad. I can think of many other reasons for a potential challenge, but I'm not trained to handle legal matters. Few of us on this forum are.

Sorry, but I think that you could be seriously compromised and confused by any suggestions that may come your way via this particular place.

Seek legal advice, please.

blast

Sep 4, 2011
Hi both

Many thanks for the replys

Sussexsue: Sadly I feel the point at which family relations have been damaged permanently has already been passed :( Giving in on the will now will not restore the status quo sadly, thats become fairly evident.

JPG1: For the purposes of this case the will contest will for certain be on the issues of, Mental capability and undue influence due to lack of mental capability. There is no doubt that those will be the stated reasons. I actually cant seek legal advice yet its a bit of a loophole :confused: They can go to a solicitor and ask about will contests. I cant do that until they actually contest it. At the moment we are dealing with probate lawyers. Probate lawyers are non court lawyers they are not experts in will contests. To defend a will contest you need a litigant lawyer and they are not interested until the will is contested. As the defendant theres nothing you can do until the will is contested as until then you have nothing to defend :rolleyes:

What I maybe hoped to find here was someone who had been through similar. Mental incapacity is a common cause for will contests.

Thanks anyway :D

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Sussexsue: Sadly I feel the point at which family relations have been damaged permanently has already been passed :( Giving in on the will now will not restore the status quo sadly, thats become fairly evident.

Sorry about that. It must make things very difficult for you :(

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Blast,

I hear what you say, but I think you could still seek advice from a solicitor as to whether or not s/he considers the likelihood of success of any challenge based on mental capacity issues, or indeed any other issues, i.e. whether the kind of challenge that you are anticipating would be likely to stand up in court.

The solicitor will have access to Senior Partners in the firm, and a whole gamut of case law, so they will be in a position to advise.

I say that because my family also faced the need to consider a possible challenge to a will. (Not dementia-related at all, but dementia's not the only reason for challenging a will. Undue influence, with or without dementia, may come into the thinking, as may a whole number of reasons.)

We sought advice from the solicitor who was handling Probate on our behalf. She sought advice from Senior Partners in the firm, and advice from outside of the firm. The advice came back to say that s/he/they doesn't/don't stand a chance of challenging the will. They were right.

Advice about the 'likelihood' of a potential challenge holding water, in advance of any challenge being made, can be sought. You're not defending anything - you are merely seeking advice and 'considered opinion' based on the facts you present to the solicitor and on the law and on case law.

It will cost a few ££s, but the peace of mind that comes is worth the cost.

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I agree that you need legal advice. Others on here might have some experience of this, but as every case and every person with dementia is different, their experiences might not help.

In general terms, the testator (person making the will) must understand the extent of his estate, who his family is, and appreciate his obligations to them at the time he makes the will. It is quite a high standard, compared to mental capacity to carry out other legal transactions, and this is often further complicated by the fact that a person with dementia's mental capacity may well vary from day to day, even from hour to hour. A diagnosis of dementia is not a bar in itself to executing a valid will.

Usually the onus, if the will seems valid on its face, will be with those seeking to challenge it. Where there is evidence of dementia however the onus is likely to be on the person seeking to uphold it.

The crucial evidence may well be from the witnesses. Did they know your dad and see him regularly?

I think however until you know the details of what your siblings are alleging any legal advice can only be in general terms.

blast

Sep 4, 2011
Again thanks for the replys

JPG1: The firm attempting to get probate only deals with wills and probate so they dont have anyone much higher in the company. However for what its worth they seem to think the chances of a successful contest are not that great. I have also had advice from a family friend who is an expert in probate and wills and he also seems to think the chances of a successful contest are small. However with these things I guess you never know.

Sue: I agree its a quagmire. The witness's did know my father for many years and saw him regularly sadly only one is still around to give evidence. I would imagine that if a witness to a will had doubts about the ability of a person to make a will then they wouldent witness it? The point of witnessing a will is to make it a safe document if you have issues they you should say so at the time? Or at least thats what I would have thought.

Again, thanks for the replys.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Get legal advice....

Take legal advice on this - even with a more expensive law firm they would probably speak with you for perhaps an hour for a bill of a few hundred pounds - and outline the situation to you as to where you stand and how strong a case the contestants may have. At least then you would have an idea of what to expect.

From my understanding, solicitors would also counsel that mediation is sought before embarking on any legal proceedings - on both sides. Is the financial, emotional, relationship etc cost worth pursuing? It can cost a great deal of money, time, energies to pursue - or defend - such a case.

A witness to a will just confirms that the will was signed by the person making it whilst they were watching - I did it for someone once who I vaguely knew; I didn't see the contents of the will, and wasn't required to judge their mental capacity as to what the will stipulated or whether they knew what they were doing - just that they had signed it in front of me (so that it was their signature on the document and not someone else's).

As an executor you are required to distribute the estate to the beneficiaries according to your father's wishes. Whether you keep your bequest or how you might then divide out your own share to others to keep the peace or if you felt it was unfair is up to you - but will still involve tax implications - more professional advice needed.

I'll add here that I have no legal expertise - but am an executor to my mum's will; I wish I'd known before just what that entailed - the time, and the necessity to have large pots of oil to pour on troubled waters involved have not been easy at a time of grief. To anyone drawing up a will, make sure it is done so with professional advice - it could save a lot of heartache for those left behind afterwards. Where there's a will, there's a relative!

There's a link here to a recent article in the Telegraph - though I don't think it gives any real advice, it's a warning as to how this can be a minefield:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/2818267/This-is-the-way-to-challenge-a-will.html

A can of worms...... :eek: