Allowances

mary w

Jan 20, 2009
Warwicks
I'm new to all of this. My husband was dignosed with Alzheimers 18 months ago and, until recently I have coped alone 24/7 with no break.
I was told today that, because I have registered the Lasting Power of Attorney I am not eligible for any Direct Payments towards his Day Care.
If I have to totally fund this just to keep my sanity and get a few hours to myself- so be it, but I cannot understand why I am not eligible just because I have done what I was advised to do, so that I have control over my husbands financial affairs:confused:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Mary...

I was told today that, because I have registered the Lasting Power of Attorney I am not eligible for any Direct Payments towards his Day Care

First of all ...Welcome to TP....:)

Secondly....Who told you that?.......:eek:

Thirdly....You will have a lot of help and advice here...and it may be that in order to help you we need a bit more information.

Direct Payments/Day Care/Carer's Allowance are seperate entities...and according to where you live the first 2 are not guaranteed.

But whatever your financial circumstances..your husband should be able to claim Attendance Allowance.
And if you are caring 24/7 you should be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

Sorry Ella..to break into your thread...Maybe Mary needs her own..??

Mary..I'm hoping a moderator may intervene here..sounds like you may need your own thread.

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Mary

I`m surprised like gigi at this information. It seems incorrect to me too. In face I`d go so far as to say you have definitely been misinformed.

I have done what gigi suggested and moved your post to your own Thread where I hope you will get more responses.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is this day care you get as a benefit to you, a carer or day care that is a benefit for him as the person being cared for? If the former this info is definitely wrong. However, if the latter you may be coming up against the old "if you receive direct payments you need to be able to consent". If I remember Grommit went through all this. Let me see if I can find the thread.

This thread http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=8234&highlight=direct+payments
and this one
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=8878&highlight=direct+payments
and finally this one
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=12635&highlight=direct+payments

Last edited:

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Hiya
I have lpa for my mum but was offered day centre and home! You being lpa is nothing to do with the finances of the user,go back and question it,not sure if you have right info.
good luck.
Lisa.xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annieislaurie