After dark visiting!

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
With the second Christmas without my mum looming I was feeling very sad. The grieving goes on.

I bought a holly wreath to take to mum and dad’s grave, and intended to go this afternoon, then son called in and said he wanted to come too, but could we go later, which was OK with me. Hummm my big mistake was not asking how much later. He and DIL eventually arrive at 8:30pm!!

I must first of all set the scene. Mum and dad are buried in the grounds of the church in the village where we used to live, needless to say like most villages the street lighting isn’t the best, and in the church grounds no lighting at all.

So armed with a torch and a prickly holly wreath off we go. As we are stumbling up the church path in the dark it came to me that anybody walking by must have wondered what the torch light in the church grounds was all about, it must have looked mighty suspicious.

Anyway we arrive at the grave and we have our usual little chat with mum and dad, it was freezing cold, my teeth were chattering and of course the enormity of their absence I start to cry. The three of us fell silent wrapped in our thoughts.

All of a sudden I could feel something wrapping itself around my legs. It was such a shock I screamed, dropped the torch, whilst patting the ground looking for it slapped my hand onto said prickly holly wreath, jumped back and heard a ‘squeal’. Son grabbed the torch and found the culprit …… a cat! I must have startled it as much as it had startled me.

I have to say the three of us were then helpless with laughter, if I didn’t know better I would say that the cat was ‘sent’ by mum and dad to lighten the mood, and to remind us if we are going to visit, do it during daylight hours, and not go stumbling around the graves after dark.
Happy Christmas Mum & Dad xxxxxxxx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dear Cate ... as the great gaping ‘second’ approaches, first of all hugs to you ..... and how I love the idea they only send us laughter ...... a reminder how they would want it for us?

I fear with the atrocious weather we have in these parts at the mo (usually reserved for yours!) I am not going to make my planned visit to lay my wreath at the cemetery this year on Christmas Eve ... if we get a thaw next week I may go then .... and I know already mum will be saying ‘Bl***y typical! You’re late!’ :rolleyes:

So am working on ‘Plan B’ so she can’t nag me! :cool::D

Well done you! And your son and DIL .... laughter amongst the tears, huh? Will it ever be different? Just want the laughter to overlap the tears and then some .... we know it’s what they would want for us .....

Love always, Kaz, x