After advice on risks - family and medication

jaykay58

Jul 4, 2015
Hello - I have recently read that Amitryptiline is in a group of drugs that increase your risk of dementia [if I read the medical paper correctly by 23%]. I take this drug for Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and may well be on it for years to come [been on it for 2 years now]. Without it I have far too many trips to hospital and the CVS plays havoc with me and my family trying to have a normal life so this drug has been a 'miracle' for me.
Having now read of the increased risk due to this drug, and the fact that I have an aunt with dementia [the only family member I'm aware of who has had dementia], I am now wondering how concerned I should be for my own health.
I am 57, work full time, am the nearest relative/carer for my mother whose physical health is deteriorating in her mid-80s and organise the care and help needed at home for my maternal aunt [in her late 70s] with dementia.
I am finding in the past couple of months that I am forgetting names of objects and people and also what I was about to say to someone - scenario of must tell hubby this then when I see him 20 minutes later I've remembered I was going to tell him something but can't remember what.
Am happy to be told I'm paranoid but how can I tell the difference between me probably being rather stressed these days with too much to do so my memory is giving up OR me being on this drug and family member with dementia putting me at risk of this being early signs that I'm developing dementia.
Keep telling myself not to be so paranoid but I can't help wondering and need somebody to give me advice. My GP just said that if I'm worried wean myself off the tablets and see what happens...........did that and ended up in hospital with a CVS attack so have gone back on the tablets to regain a more normal life. His answer to that was that I obviously respond well to the medication so stay on it and try weaning off again in another 2 years. No reassurance on the dementia concern front, got the feeling he thought I was just being a hypochondriac.
Anyone got any thoughts/ideas/comments/suggestions???

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I have been on this drug for 8 or 9 years for nerve pain in my back/shoulders/arms and hands. I keep the dosage to a minimum because I find that the full dosage tends to make me lose most of the day!!:eek:, so I take half the dose at night so that I can function and make up the difference with painkillers....( thus I damage a different part of the body instead).:(:rolleyes::D I weaned myself down to this dosage over quite a long time.
I hadn't given any thought to the long term effects, but my brain numbness can cause me to wonder about the likelihood of Dementia...I spend a lot of time asking about " DooDahs" or " Whatsits" or "Mrs Whosit"..it may be pre-dementia or just colander brain where I don't pay enough attention.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: eitherway, the choice is pain or brain....and that, for me , is a no-brainer;):D

ps sorry, forgot to say hello and welcome to TP. :)

Last edited:

jaykay58

Jul 4, 2015
Thank you - sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, forgot my password and kept forgetting to log in to reset it. I'm on 75mg of the drug each evening and have no trouble with concentrating or sleepiness so in that way the only side effects I get are weight gain [2 stone!!] and slight depression, but I can cope with that.
I think the bottom line is I probably am just paranoid but I think having someone in the family with dementia would make anyone paranoid that it could happen to them.
It is so horrible watching an otherwise healthy, organised, efficient person you care about turn into someone who eats uncooked food out of tins, can't make a drink and forgets to wash or dress. It really is a silent, horrible illness.
By the way I have referred to whosit, whatsit and thingymajig for as long as I can remember so I wouldn't worry too much on that front.:)