Advise sought please on financial situation

brid

Mar 10, 2012
My dad came to live with us 4 1/2 years ago after my mum died and he nearly burnt the house down by boiling sprouts dry at breakfast time. There was no thoughts of dementia at all just that he was a gentleman of 86 who was not coping living on his own and managing the house too. When the house was sold he gave both myself and my brother £30,000 to do with as we wished to make life easier for us and our children. He lived with me until the dementia took hold 3 years later and is now in a wonderful care home back in his home town where he lived all his life and where the familiarity and routine makes him the happiest. We have been paying for his fees from dads savings from what was leftover from the sale of the house and now he has £30,000 left. I contacted the local council to start the ball rolling with regard to the fact that in about 6 months he will be below the £23,500 threshold. So I am waiting for a social worker to contact me I guess to assess where we are. So please could anyway who has been through this advise me what will happen now and your thoughts on how they will view the gift of the £30,000 from dad to each of us in the grand theme of things ( PS The money is long gone and neither my brother or I would be able to find the money easily if at all )
Thank you

Last edited:

Busterpen

Oct 27, 2013
My advice for you would be to consult a solicitor before speaking to social services. Usually deprivation of assets refers to a house and I am not sure about money. Do not say anything to them at the moment

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Usually deprivation of assets refers to a house and I am not sure about money.
Deprivation of assets is just that whether it be house or money.
The LA would have to prove that the gift was to avoid the possibility of having to pay for care.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I'd say nothing to to the SS about his gifts.....I'm sure you can produce statements for the last year or so to show his income and outgoings. My Mum was not aske.d about what she had done with various amounts she'd inherited from my sister and froma family friend.and neither was I

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My Mum was not aske.d about what she had done with various amounts she'd inherited from my sister and froma family friend.and neither was I
I think that is a bit different from giving away the proceeds of a house sale as they are probably likely to ask about a house and how and when Brid's father came to live with her. However, as I said, they have to prove the intention was to deprive assets and if they can't do this, then all is well.
I do wonder how many people have been made to pay back money gifted to them.