Advice please

stanley28

Apr 14, 2024
My late mother was diagnosed with dementia after a few admissions to hospital. KCC tried a few times to send her home with support from carers due to her condition this failed after the last admission to hospital she was transferred to a care home where she passed away 2021. First question was she entitled to CHC. 2nd question care home fees were partially funded by the council as she received a work pension and had to top up. As my mother left when I was 5yrs old with no contact until 2016 we did not have a mother daughter relationship. Being the only person about I ensured she was looked after but no POA etc in place or contract signed for being responsible for fees etc.. Since she passed away the council are hounding me for outstanding fees. Am I liable?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me.
No one is liable for someone else's debt unless they have agreed to be and you haven't.
Her estate may be liable so before anyone inherited anything outstanding liabilities should have been met from her assets, that's the only reason I can see why they may be asking you to pay.
CHC is for health care and of itself, somehow, dementia isn't necessarily seen as an automatic qualifier, same with Funded Nursing Care (FNC).
Given the long break in your relationship I think what you did was extremely kind and they should be thanking you not harassing you for Money. Thank you from me for what it's worth.
K

stanley28

Apr 14, 2024
Hello and welcome from me.
No one is liable for someone else's debt unless they have agreed to be and you haven't.
Her estate may be liable so before anyone inherited anything outstanding liabilities should have been met from her assets, that's the only reason I can see why they may be asking you to pay.
CHC is for health care and of itself, somehow, dementia isn't necessarily seen as an automatic qualifier, same with Funded Nursing Care (FNC).
Given the long break in your relationship I think what you did was extremely kind and they should be thanking you not harassing you for Money. Thank you from me for what it's worth.
K
Hi Thank you she did not have any estate and no will. Nothing to inherit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolinejohnson16@btinter