Advice please - re getting lost

becca_979

Sep 27, 2006
Harlow, Essex
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, my MiL has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and has been on Aricept for about 3 weeks now. It seems that her progression is particularly rapid and we are becoming more and more concerned about her.

Anyway, yesterday MiL decided to walk to the local shops, about 10 - 15 minutes away to buy a few bits, unfortunately she forgot her money, and then some how when trying to walk home, got lost and walked 5 miles, to the outskirts of our town. She got to a garden centre and used the phone to call me, she told me that she was lost, where she was and hung up - she didn't sound like it was a problem.

Once we had picked her up and knew she was ok we obviously expressed our concern, but she really does not believe that it is a problem, infact told me that she knew where she was... (why not turn back?) and that if she had had money with her then she would have phoned a taxi.

As you can imagine I am really concerned, i am not normally at home when she called so have no idea what would have happened if i'd not been in, but I am really worried this may happen again.

I really don't know how to handle the situation as she does not believe there is a problem, so i guess i am asking for any suggestions or advice that may be helpful.

Sorry this is such a long post and thanks if you go this far.

Becky

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Becca,
Welcome to TP. Having not experienced 'getting lost' with my mum, until she was much further down the line, I don't have any advice, but I am sure that others soon will. Just wanted to say 'Hi'.
Love Helen