Advice please incontinence pads for someone who isn't incontinent

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I'm after a bit of advice from you lovely people. My husband is not incontinent BUT he does not wipe his bottom after going to the toilet. I can't get him to do that any more. He is still able to go off alone to the toilet when he needs to. Consequently he dirties his pants, his pyjamas and the duvet cover if he sits on the bed when dressing or undressing. I clean him when I can. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have him wear some sort of disposable pull ups and just throw them away night and morning. If so, can anyone recommend some. Any other ideas or suggestions welcome. His condition has deteriorated lately so I think we are moving into a different phase. He's had urine and blood tests and an ECG and everything's normal which suggests it's just progression along the Alzheimer's road.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Trisha, my husband does the same, although he is now doubly incontinent, l buy pullups for him they are in packs of ten, they work out at 65p per pant, look on ebay, because my husband needs to be changed 3 times a day the CH put disposible pads in them as they are free, makes the pullups last longer, they just remove the pads. Before he was incontinent he used to just mark his pants, and the duvet you can not watch them all the time.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Trisha
I've no idea if this is feasible - might you use the thin panty liners for women that stick on to underwear, and position strategically? - don't know what they cost or how effective they might be - and I guess if your husband wears boxers, this won't work

are you able to accompany him to the loo and help out? - dad started to forget what to do after pooing, so I got some of the wet wipes that can be flushed down the loo and would hand them to him with a prompt to wipe his bum; it worked for quite some time (maybe have latex gloves at the ready if you may have to handle the wetwipes)

best wishes

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Hi Trisha. My husband is the same so I try to follow him in and do it for him but don't always catch him. Wet wipes are good. Oddly he often gets toilet paper ready but still doesn't use it.

oldman1952

Apr 4, 2014
Hi there, this really sounds bad for the uninitiated. We all do things by numbers even though we don't think that we are. Its called routine. People suffering dementia miss some of the numbers out or all of the numbers out dependent on the severity of the dementia. Your husband knows when he wants to go to the loo and does a good job of doing everything correct up until he needs to wipe his bottom, that is the number that he has left out.

How good is his sight? Does he read a news paper or books? or has he gone past that stage?. Large bright signs with "John have you wiped your bottom" at a size he can see them on the back of the toilet or bathroom door or somewhere close to the toilet so he can read it. It might just make the chain of numbers click into place. If he becomes angry when you ask him to wipe his bottom, try to approach it in a different way.

Say, " John do you remember the chat we had yesterday when you said that you had a sore bottom? Well I asked the nurse about it and she said it might be because you need to wipe your bottom a little better". You say he has the toilet tissue in his hand but never uses it. Approach the subject when you think that he is in a stage that he is aware of his surroundings. Go through the way that people do things differently and approach the subject of personal hygiene. If you have a good laugh now and again try to bring this into the frame. Use it as a funny thing (even though it might not be funny for you and it gives you more work to do every day). The art of conversation when dealing with a loved one with a diagnosis of dementia should be thoroughly explored. Never give up. Find the time where your husband is at that time. He will probably go to different places in his life that mean something to him, many times a day because it makes him feel safe. I am a strong believer that if you try to bring the person back to the here and now (reality orientation) he/she will not be happy. However if you can find out what period of their life they are, you can have a really good conversation. They remember almost everything about that time and place they are at. Best regards Peter.

Last edited:

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
?

Your message was like I had written it! Was it me? It shows we are on the same planet!!
If hubby goes to the loo and Does not appear,it's nTime for me to appear.he puts some sheets down the loo but I have today say wipe your bottom!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My mum used pull up pants from supermarket, cheaper online tbh. Think it was age uk I ordered from . All different types. So much better when at day care.
How is he for showering /bathing? If happy to have them , perhaps more often to help with the cleaning ? Or perhaps if you then take him later. Luke you give him a clean up, all depends on co-operation of course which we know isn't always easy:confused::rolleyes: