Advice please - home improvements to cater for alzheimer at home

wheresthepony

Sep 13, 2015
My husband was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers last summer age 52. He hasnt worked for over 18 months in his profession but picks up some gardening with a friends business for 1 day a week and has taken early retirement. WE have two young infant/junior school age children and have recently downsized to a smaller house to lower mortgage so we can make ends meet.

WE have a small pot of money to do some home improvements as we had planned before diagnosis. I have already decided to give the kids the loft extension space so they can have a bedroom each and a top floor sanctuary if needed further down the line.

Downstairs needs some work also but I am looking for recommendations as to what would be the best thing to do bearing in mind my husbands possible future needs. Ie - can I include some ideas that will enable him to remain competently at home for as long as possible. Any ideas, people? Am I being naive or is it worth considering things? (by the way, I totally realise I am in a lucky position to be able to do any work - I just want to keep things normal for the girls and husband as long as possible)

We have a downstairs loo but should I create a shower room? Open shelving in kitchen so he can see things without opening and leaving open all the cupboard doors? Getting rid of gas hob etc that type of thing. What do you think?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have the builders in at this moment altering my husbands shower room so as to do away with the cabinet. Ten days ago he got trapped in it and a real shock it was having to get paramedics out etc. So try to look at your home in a way that will make things simpler and safer. I have almost nothing in the shower room with him as he gets confused with choice. One towel, one toothbrush and paste etc. Keep all cleaning materials elsewhere.

If you already have a suitable shower for him don't go creating another unless you need it. He wouldn't be sleeping downstairs, would he? So you want the shower close to where he gets out of bed.

I'll be interested too to see what suggestions are made. Remember that if the alterations are necessary for your husband and your GP agrees the work will be zero rated for VAT.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It's a difficult one, no one can see in the future. In dementias case, how long your OH will be at a certain stage.
From my experience:
We had some open shelves for crockery etc, but there came a time when he couldn't 'see' them. Open shelves also mean there is a choice. Which biscuits, which coffee? I can tell you instant made with coffee for a perc is not pleasant! Plenty of people have come across coffee made in the kettle as well! Open shelves mean more cleaning. More missiles, if he goes through that stage!

Open shelves may be OK at the beginning, but later?

Shower room, close to bedroom as suggested above. Easier at night, closer to clean clothes. Removable head, some don't like water on their head. Controls near the front, where you can get at them without getting wet. OH forgot how the controls worked eventually! Make it a decent sized room, you will need space when it gets to the stage of you having to help!

Many get to the stage where they cant use stairs, so keep the downstairs loo, at the very least.

There isn't a right answer, unfortunately. I'm sure others will be along shortly with other ideas. You will have your work cut out with OH and two children, and things will be continuously changing on both fronts!

Good luck?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Why don't you ask for a referral to the OT department? Someone could come round and give you useful tips about grab rails, wet rooms, high backed armchairs, or whatever else might be helpful. They can only really advise on issues present at this time, but say grab rails were advised then they could potentially provide them to you for free. We've so far received a grab rail, a shower board, a wipable mattress, a bed lever and a booster cushion. We've also been offered an armchair but had to decline due to space reasons.

I would say, if you want to make home improvements, make them as soon as you can while he can still get used to them.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Maybe something on this website might be helpful? I know there are other links on TP to the things you are asking but can't find them, maybe someone else can. I think its great you are thinking this way as it can take a lot of stress of the brain when the living environment is easy - I have made changes to my home and still am which make things much easier.

http://dementia.stir.ac.uk/housing-dsdc/design-housing

Lighting has made a big difference with plug in sensor lights for night time and touch lamps by the bed, no fumbling for switches. I have also done away with patterned bedding and got just plain, but textured it is less confusing to the eye. Also a label on each plug helps me a lot.

My symptoms started before I was 50 and I recognized what is happening so need to make changes now, I may not be able to recognize that further down the line, but I only cope with changes a bit at a time.

It is a fine line between accommodating need and taking away independence as I'm sure you are aware. Whatever changes you make I would go for things that are of the simplest design possible. I didn't want open shelves in my kitchen but have changed all my storage jars to see through ones which I label which helps.

Depending on your space you may want to have a downstairs bedroom and shower as stairs could become more difficult and I would say make changes earlier rather than later as you are obviously already thinking.

Hope something helps
Best wishes
Sue:)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
wheresthepony
maybe think carefully about flooring and the transition from room to room - something to clean/maintain easily - in fact in general, keep it all easy to wipe down
dad would turn off sockets (not so bad if just a light but not good if the freezer) so consider things like that
some of things we'd do for children may be worth keeping/putting in place eg lockable cupboards
make sure anything such as main water tap are easily accessible for you
taps that are easy to use eg a push lever rather than twist - maybe sink plugs that just press down and release (dad wasn't good at placing normal plug in the sink hole)
definitely think carefully about placement of shower controls and shower head as has been mentioned - and maybe think where a shower chair might fit best even if you don't want to install now
have somewhere secure you can hide important documents and items just in case
open gas flame fire not a good idea
all white bathroom suite looks great but all blends in - maybe some colour for toilet seat?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Also on the flooring - as dementia progresses, people can lose their depth perception, so patterns on flooring become very confusing - the person doesn't know if the floor is level, or if the pattern means the floor is uneven - that can lead to falls. Carpet can also lead to falls if a person is any way unsteady on their feet - slippers or shoes can sometimes "stick" to carpet, so plainer flooring (like laminate or wood) might be better - easier for cleaning up accidents too. What about outside the house? I have a huge deck behind our house, and one of the things I had to do was get gates put on the three entrances/exits to stop my late husband going on it when it was any way damp - decks can get very slippery when wet even with condensation on a cold morning! (Besides, there is a flight of steps going down from one end of it.). I had to get a catch put on the front gate that he couldn't open, as he wandered off a couple of times.

I also put motion sensor lights throughout the house in hallways and in our bedroom and the living room. William would only sleep for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a stretch, and would get up and wander around the house, and sit in the living room for a couple of hours. I had motion sensor lights fixed to the wall beside the bed so the minute he stood up from the bed, a light came on. As he moved toward the bedroom door, other lights came on, and as he walked down the hallway, lights came on at about his knee level, lighting his way to the living room. They stayed on for about 30 seconds. It saved having to leave lights on all night.

wheresthepony

Sep 13, 2015
thanks everyone - some really good points that I hadn't considered or thought about.

I have been advised by his psychologist that if we are going to do any major work (knocking down walls) etc to get going quickly to minimise confusion. (actually she asked if it was really necessary as it may already increase his stress levels - but not doing it will def increase mine as we are all on top of each other and I need the girls to have more space)

But some avenues for consideration - esp flooring - hadnt thought about that being a problem, and the outside shower controls. My husband really enjoys baths - and wants us to reinstate the bath (only have a shower in bathroom at the mo) - Im guessing you would all advise against this?

thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Nothing wrong with a bathtub if it gives him pleasure, just make sure he can get out again. Personally, I prefer a bathtub to a wet room because I as the carer don't get so wet when showering someone. But that's individual choice.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
You can get half screens for a wet room that theoretically allows one to help the person in the shower without getting wet yourself, though haven't used them myself.
Don't use laminate anywhere where it might get wet and you don't notice for a while! Been there, had that problem!
It might be that after the building work is done you can introduce the rest of the changes gradually, do he doesn't suddenly fell ' I don't need this' which could lead to difficulties.
Your psychologist was right, he will have problems with builders there. Maybe holiday time if he's not ready for respite?

Beate, shower is for washing in, bath to relax, read, sip a glass of something nice! Unfortunately, though I enjoyed a bath the last time I had one I slipped and banged head, shoulder, hip, knee and ankle! Don't bother now, plus I'm much worse, don't think i could even get in! ( arthritis for those who don't know).

PS warn the builders to consult you for any and every decision! I told ours, but then they did something wrong. When I asked they said, your husband said that was what you wanted! Follow my lips - Ask me!- but there can't be anything wrong, he looks so well!!
They were lucky to escape with just ringing ears and no physical injury!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I never got our bathroom adapted. I love a bath myself and there isn't room for a separate shower. I bought a bath lift for William. For quite a while, he enjoyed baths too, so it was handy, and when he deteriorated enough, I just left the bathlift raised and used it as a seat for showering him. When the care assistant could get him in the shower!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I would never get rid of my bath it gives me much needed relief from all over aches and pains and if your husband wants one I would consider it, you can get walk in ones or bath lifts as Lady A says. A lot of passive exercise can be done in the bath when mobility and movement declines which helps to prevent further weakness and improves circulation. If you do get a bath fitted I would consider one with a shower hose/head but you'd probably do that anyway if you need to swap from your shower and haven't space for them separately.

I have made some changes and I have coped with them because they help so much. So whilst change are/can be difficult if it is for the better hopefully your OH will be able to get used to it OK.

All the best
Sue:)

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am contemplating the problems as my OH is already losing mobility and may eventually have to sleep downstairs. Could you extend the downstairs loo so that it could become a wet-room in case he ends up in a wheelchair? It could also be useful meanwhile for other members of the family if he takes a long time in the bathroom, or leaves it in a mess.

J3nny

Aug 4, 2016
open shelves

My husband was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers last summer age 52. He hasnt worked for over 18 months in his profession but picks up some gardening with a friends business for 1 day a week and has taken early retirement. WE have two young infant/junior school age children and have recently downsized to a smaller house to lower mortgage so we can make ends meet.

WE have a small pot of money to do some home improvements as we had planned before diagnosis. I have already decided to give the kids the loft extension space so they can have a bedroom each and a top floor sanctuary if needed further down the line.

Downstairs needs some work also but I am looking for recommendations as to what would be the best thing to do bearing in mind my husbands possible future needs. Ie - can I include some ideas that will enable him to remain competently at home for as long as possible. Any ideas, people? Am I being naive or is it worth considering things? (by the way, I totally realise I am in a lucky position to be able to do any work - I just want to keep things normal for the girls and husband as long as possible)

We have a downstairs loo but should I create a shower room? Open shelving in kitchen so he can see things without opening and leaving open all the cupboard doors? Getting rid of gas hob etc that type of thing. What do you think?

We have open shelving in our bathroom which I'm getting rid of as my hubby takes all the towels or puts things on them that really don't belong there! If you're altering the kitchen, the cupboards doors without handles are the best solution for doors being left open all the time. I am also having a wet room put upstairs and sensor lighting as hubby gets very disorientated if he wakes in the night. hope the work goes ok x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels