• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Advice on getting the right doctor.


Registered User
Jun 3, 2015
My Father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers by a Geriatric Doctor after he had a brain scan and various tests. He takes one Aricept per day. He's been seeing this doctor for about a year or so and I go to the appointments with my both my parents. I am not keen on the Doctor, his communication skills are not great and it wasn't until I actually asked the doctor directly, when my dad wasn't in the room, whether he has Alzheimers, that's when I got a formal diagnosis. Before then this had not been mentioned to anyone including my Mother. I found that to be strange and unsettling. Is there a specialist in Alzheimers? We're based in London and can pay for a private consultation if necessary, but I'm not sure who to take my dad to. Perhaps the doctor we have is fine, I just want some reassurance and would like seek further advice from a doctor who specialises in Alzheimers.


Registered User
Aug 24, 2013
Hi Pippa. Welcome to TP
There are several private consultants if you google Alzheimer's consultants London.
People are reluctant to complain about doctors and I do know what you mean some can be quite difficult to deal with, uncommunicative and some times down right impatient. I do wonder though what a private consultation can give that the NHS can't.
As there is very little that can be done other than Aricept then I feel you'd just be paying quite a lot of money for very little other than someone taking the time to reassure you, but of what I'm not sure.
Others may have used private medicine and have a different view but I think the best place to find out what you need to know is here, from the troops in the front line who are dealing with this every day.