Advice on getting mother to GP

EmmelineLT

Nov 19, 2023
Hi, I’m Emmeline. My family and I believe my 80 year old mother has Alzheimer's - to be clear that includes my mother. My grandmother and her two sisters had the condition so we are pretty familiar with the symptoms. I’m looking for advice on how to convince her to go to the GP for a formal diagnosis. I’ve been through some information with her on how things like kidney infections or anxiety could cause similar symptoms but she’s steadfast that it can only be Alzheimer's and she doesn’t believe any treatment can help. She is already very anxious so I’m worried about making that worse if I keep pushing her. Any advice gratefully received.
Emmeline

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Write to the doctor explaining your concerns and ask them to invite her for a well woman check up. You can agree that you read all 80 year olds were being asked to attend.

EmmelineLT

Nov 19, 2023
Write to the doctor explaining your concerns and ask them to invite her for a well woman check up. You can agree that you read all 80 year olds were being asked to attend.
Thanks, that’s a good idea. I thought the GP would not talk to me without power of attorney but a one way request to invite her in could work

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Thanks, that’s a good idea. I thought the GP would not talk to me without power of attorney but a one way request to invite her in could work
On that point, if you have dementia in the family it would be a good idea to get LPA done asap while she can agree to it. It's invaluable when/if you get to the stage of having to do things for her, otherwise, no - people won't talk to you, which would make things so much harder and long winded.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As my LO and I arn’t married and at the beginning I didn’t have POA I wrote to GP and they were great and called her on a pretext and just included a memory test and from there a referral to memory clinic.

EmmelineLT

Nov 19, 2023
On that point, if you have dementia in the family it would be a good idea to get LPA done asap while she can agree to it. It's invaluable when/if you get to the stage of having to do things for her, otherwise, no - people won't talk to you, which would make things so much harder and long winded.
Thanks, I will raise it with her when she’s having a good day. Fingers crossed!