Advice on caring for my mum

Sariesoo72

Nov 12, 2023
My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's earlier this year and at the end of July began taking Memantine. The dosage was increased gradually and she has been taking 20mg since mid August. She also takes a low dose of Sertraline for low mood and anxiety which was prescribed before the diagnosis. Over the last 6 weeks she has been very upset and teary, particularly in the mornings. Has anyone else experienced this long periods of crying and teariness? Could it be a side effect of the Memantine medication or just normal progression of the dementia? We are reluctant to increase the dosage of Sertraline as this has caused unpleasant side effects in the past. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hi @Sariesoo72 and welcome to our supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia.

I am sorry to read about your Mum's diagnosis. I don't have any direct experience of the medications you mention but I am sure that others do and will be along shortly with their advice.

I hope you will find it helpful to find out what others are saying, join in conversations, and ask any particular questions you may like to. You will always find a listening ear and understanding from members who really want to help and support.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Sariesoo72 and welcome from me also. My husband is on Memantine and has not had the issues that you describe. I would suggest that you contact your mum's GP for advice.

T1000

Feb 3, 2022
@Sariesoo72 sorry to hear this, my mum does take it, and sometimes teary but not usually because of the meds, she has depression and is affected by moods of others too. Plus can become quite obsessive and overthink. Hope her GP can help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksacytotec