Advice on care costs & bank accounts/pensions

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Trog, May 19, 2007.

  1. Trog

    Trog Registered User

    Apr 21, 2007
    I wonder if anyone can help me out with the following query. If my Dad was to go into a care home, how much of his pension would be taken to cover costs?

    I believe that any bank accounts in my father's name would be assessed according to the amount therein. I also know that any joint bank accounts held by my parents would be treated as 50:50 and money deducted from my Dad's share accordingly. Also I understand that (unless I have misunderstood) both of my parents' pensions would be assessed together and then treated 50:50, just like the bank accounts. (Our solicitor advised us of this). Does anyone know if this is correct?

    If this is the case, what happens when the person going into the care home is actually paid a smaller pension than the spouse remaining at home - in our case leaving my mother with a potentially reduced share, compared with at present?

    With best wishes to you all.
  2. Margarita

    Margarita Registered User

    Feb 17, 2006
    I am sorry I do not have any advice , but I am sure someone will pop in soon that know more about it the I .
  3. Hello Trog.

    Well I do not know all about pensions and things; but if say for instance; the person left outside on their own to live; the law says that you have to have a minimum amount to live on; which I believe is around £114 odd, a week.

    If say you only get £45 left; after the deductions for the person in care; the state should make up the difference to £114 odd a week; IE; £74 added as a supplementary type benefit.

    If the pensions; private as well as state pensions are added together; and they exceed £228 odd; then you will only get what is left of the 50% of the combined pension; with no additions added.

    In short; the state says that nobody should live on less than the minimum amount of £114 odd.

    I am no expert; but I know you are entitled to the minimum amount the State says you need to live on; and if you get any kind of supplementary benefit; this also allows you free rent and no council tax to pay; even if you only get one penny added in benefit; you are entitled to all the other discounts, without exception…Micky.
  4. noelphobic

    noelphobic Registered User

    Feb 24, 2006
    this link will take you to the AS factsheet about paying for care home costs.

    The figures are out of date but it will give you an idea. Anyone in a home is left with a personal allowance after all fees have been paid and think it is currently around £20 per week, although the figures in the factsheet are lower.

    I hope this is of some help.
  5. Natashalou

    Natashalou Registered User

    Mar 22, 2007

    micky, I dont know if you are referring to pensioners only here, but since being made redunant, my son recives £46 per week, full stop. He doesnt have to pay rent as he house sits for a friend who lives abroad, but he does have to pay gas, electric, tv licence, water rates and food bill, plus bus and tube fares to look for another job!
    Needless to say this is quite impossible, and I help him out, but if I wasnt able to do so he would be simply destitute.
  6. Brucie

    Brucie Registered User

    Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hi Trog

    I suggest phoning the Alzheimer's Society Help Line next week and ask them for some definite and correct information for your situation - or call the CAB.
  7. Hi Natashalou.

    I was referring to pensioners; as Trog was talking about his mother; and what she would be left with cash wise to live on; in her case she would still be entitled to the minimum living allowance of £114 etc, no-matter what the home wanted or took; she would still get the minimum needed to live; with added benefits.

    In the case of your son; I assume he is below 60 years of age; if he was 60 years old he could retire instead of claiming unemployment benefit; and get the same pension at 60; as he would at 65 years of age; this was because one man took the government to the European court with their sex discrimination over the difference between men and women; this is why the government raised the retirement age for women to 65; the same as men etc.

    Now assuming your son is below 60 years of age; then he is just getting dole money etc; and if he was living in his own place; even a furnished room; he would get his rent paid, and his council tax paid on top of his dole money.

    You also get a higher rate of dole money to help with things like utility bills; not much more; but more than just basic dole money.

    The fact he is house sitting means he doesn't pay rent at all; so he can't claim it; its that simple.

    He needs to look into the question of bus fares etc; as if he needs to travel to look for work; he can make a claim at his unemployement exchange and ask for a bus pass to be allowed for him to look for work.

    All this is true; trust me; and as Brucie has mentioned; the CAB will help him with answers; and the plus with the CAB is this; they have direct lines to all benefit agencies; and they know who to talk to, to smooth the way to getting what he can and should claim.

    I have experience of the dole; with some of my kids; and they do not tell you all the things you can claim; on-top of dole money.

    The money he recieves now is the same money he would get if he lived at home with you; and without any other bills to pay.

    If I was in his position; and I was his age; but with my own flat or house; I would get the same dole money as he gets; with the increaed allowance for utility bills; plus my full rent would also be paid; and my full council tax paid as well; plus all medical prescriptions etc.

    And to aid my job search; I would get a bus pass as well; which can be provided by his local employment exchange........Micky
  8. Norman

    Norman Registered User

    Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    #8 Norman, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
    Hi Trog
    I would urge you to follow the advice given by Bruce and Brenda,look at the AS fact sheets and ring the AS help line.
    This is a very complicated subject and you do need help from the experts.
  9. Trog

    Trog Registered User

    Apr 21, 2007
    Thanks to everyone for their advise. Will definitely be ringing CAB/Alzheimer's help line.

    Best wishes to you all.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.