Advice needed !

Angry

Aug 7, 2014
My poor mum (88yrs has vascular dementia) fell recently and broke her femur and ended up in hospital having an operation under anaesthetic. It has had a really bad effect on her, not my mum anymore, and she is unable to get out of bed, eat, drink, and she now tends to sleep most of the day and is unable to have a conversation. She has still not been mobilised 2 weeks on as she is too weak. I honestly believe she has given up as there seems to be no fight left in her and her chest is now getting wheezey when she breathes. Was not progressing in hospital so care home took her back early to try and help her recover which was really good of them. My worry is that if she doesn't improve, she will need to move from her care home into a nursing home. Therefore, my question is will she be liable for continued care NHS funding if her future is lying in bed 24/7 - she is fully funding at moment. She has a list of ailments over the years including heart bypass / stroke. So stressed at the moment :(

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi Angry,

So sorry to hear that your Mum has deteriated since having her operation. Anaesthetics are known to have adverse affect on some people living with dementia.

The problems you say your Mum is dealing with at the moment should be able to be looked after by carers, a nursing home is for when medical problems require nurses to be available. The NHS will pay the nursing part of care if needed.

CHC, full NHS funding, comes into play when the care needed is primary health care. You can always ask for an assessment to be done just to satisfy yourself that she is not missing out on any extra care she needs.

Jay

Last edited: