Advice needed on Local Authority Financial Assessment

MomenttoDream

Aug 29, 2022
Hello, My mum is in a wonderful care home but is self funding, I have full LPA for her finances, I am currently renting her bungalow out and hope to defer payment when her capital runs out. My question is, her lump sum, can I in her interests, buy another rental property to rent out ? Would the LA still defer payment on her original bungalow or would they question me buying a rental property & using her lump sum. Any other options I haven't thought about ? Any advice gratefully received.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @MomenttoDream.
I'm sure others that know more on the topic will be along soon, but I would think that the local authority may well question your use of your mum's lump sum to buy another property and expect it to be used for her care.
Maybe phone the support line and talk to them about it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
would they question me buying a rental property & using her lump sum.
They would regard buying the property as deliberate deprivation of capital else everybody would stash their capital in a variety of investments making it unavailable for care fees.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
They would regard buying the property as deliberate deprivation of capital else everybody would stash their capital in a variety of investments making it unavailable for care fees.
My mum helped us buy a house back in October 2020 so am hoping they don’t see that as a deprivation

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My mum helped us buy a house back in October 2020 so am hoping they don’t see that as a deprivation
If in Oct 2020 there was a reason that she would need care in the near future then when her assets drop to the upper limit the LA could regard it as deprivation.
Somewhat depends on how long before her assets drop to limit and what questions LA ask.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
If in Oct 2020 there was a reason that she would need care in the near future then when her assets drop to the upper limit the LA could regard it as deprivation.
Somewhat depends on how long before her assets drop to limit and what questions LA ask.
No she definitely didn’t need care back then, it’s literally in the last month although she hasn’t been well since sept 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallieAnne