Advice needed on activities.

Rohe 19

Mar 30, 2019
Hello
Not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place I’m not used to doing this!
Thank you for adding me to the group
My parents both have dimentia I am fortunate that I now have them currently living together in 24 hour assisted living this has only happened recently after a series of falls and serious illness at their home which ended up in one or the other of them being in hospital all of which neither of them can remember and I felt we were living in A & E I have had many years but 2 very hard years of caring for them both, mum is incontinent and dad is very frail and deteriating quite quickly now he is 90. I have done all the caring prior to them coming in the home But I became ill myself and had to be admitted to hospital. I have not asked advice before because I’ve always sort of managed but I am struggling now even though I don’t have to do all the care. Is this because it’s worse?
And I am so appreciative of the care and the staff where they are it has given me such great relief.
But I am still on hand to them every day and I’d like to ask some advice.
Every day my mother packs to go home and each day I have to explain that it is no longer safe for them to live in their
Old home. They are happy in the assisted living and have a lovely time and are well cared for. However my mum is becoming more and more agitated thinking she has to go to work and getting angry when we won’t agree to take her, she also wants to be with me and not my dad she believes my dad is her grandad at times then at others they are kissing and cuddling something they never did as I was growing up! she cries when I arrive and when I leave, she is in her late 80s my dad s dimentia means he can’t comprehend what is happening and goes along with what’s she’s saying. He rings me for help and I can only do my best but he himself forgets he rang me half an hour ago! This can all end up in some very upsetting situations for everyone which I know you ll probably all have been there! The following day it’s all forgotten by both of them and we have to go through it all again.
My main reason for joining this group is to try to understand more and ask advice on dealing with these situations I use jigsaws as a distraction but am short of ideas of things to do although the home does cater for them entertainment wise but they forget! There is also a hobby lounge they can use but they don’t have the ability to think to go to it and wouldn’t know what to do once there, they are not mobile and can’t really go out anywhere. Quiz books are too difficult and They don’t seem to like TV or films as they do put films on in the home for them but they don’t enjoy them. My mum used to knit but won’t anymore. What does everyone else do to diffuse situations and any help on things they could do in the flat would be most helpful bearing in mind they are very limited and believe in later stages.
I’m sure everyone else s life is on hold as mine is currently.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hi @Rohe 19 ......welcome to the forum, it must be very hard for you having both parents affected by this terrible disease! I'm not a hands-on carer so don't have a lot of practical experience, but do you think your mum would respond to sorting things....ie pairing up socks, folding tea towels, even sorting balls of wool (mixed bags from charity shops?) into colours etc. Or something simple like dominoes/children's card games, matching numbers or pictures. I'm sure there'll be some more experienced members of the forum come along soon to give advice too

Rohe 19

Mar 30, 2019
Hi @Rohe 19 ......welcome to the forum, it must be very hard for you having both parents affected by this terrible disease! I'm not a hands-on carer so don't have a lot of practical experience, but do you think your mum would respond to sorting things....ie pairing up socks, folding tea towels, even sorting balls of wool (mixed bags from charity shops?) into colours etc. Or something simple like dominoes/children's card games, matching numbers or pictures. I'm sure there'll be some more experienced members of the forum come along soon to give advice too
Thank you will try the wool balls although she hides things so if we do it one day it will be gone the next ! And she doesn’t like you looking through her things. But we can try it thanks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5