Advice needed: how to get MIL to accept Meals on Wheels?

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
Hi, I'm new here and would be really grateful for some advice.

My 96 yo MIL lives on her own still, although my husband and I are working desperately hard to get our house ready to sell, to buy a place big enough for her to move in with us. In the mean time, Mum has been gradually losing ability to cope on various fronts, and we have been introducing new levels of care (e.g., bathing service) as needed.

Until recently, we have been buying in Sainsbury's Taste the Difference ready meals, which she has been heating in the over for herself. She has burned a few meals, so badly that the 'ovenproof' plastic has slightly melted, and also put things in the oven that aren't meant to be heated. She is very wobbly on her feet, and I worry that it's only a matter of time before she will bend down to get something out of the oven, only to drop it and burn her feet/legs.

We tried Meals on Wheels before, but none of the providers in our area provide the meals at a time that she is used to eating (and I've asked them all whether they could adjust their route - they can't). She has an infallible body clock, and lunch has always been at 5 to noon, on the dot. We were so desperate that we put the clocks back, but this didn't work. She genuinely does not comprehend that she could possibly eat lunch any later! So we went back to her heating her own food until the latest episode of burnt dinner.

We are going to her house to wait for Meals on Wheels to arrive, but she is agitated for the whole hour she is waiting for them to arrive (30 mins to an hour later than she is used to). She has circumvented this by finding food in the house - old packet soups (which I didn't even know were in the cupboard), and puddings (which she usually eats in the evening). Then when the meal arrives, she says she has already eaten. One day I gave her a very small starter to ward off hunger and keep her distracted while waiting for Meals on Wheels to arrive, then when they got there she swore blind that she had already eaten a big meal and refused to take even a single taste. Lunch is the only real meal of the day, and she simply refuses to eat more than 1/2 biscuit in the evening, so once the chance to eat has gone, it is gone. She cheerfully acknowledges that the food from Meals on Wheels tastes good, and when we throw it away, she says its a shame to waste it and why don't we put it in the fridge - but if we did, she would only burn it in the oven (including the parts of the meal like salad not meant to be heated).

I'm thinking we should get a carer to come at the time she normally starts to prepare her meal, and support her, making sure she is choosing appropriate food and that the meal doesn't get burned - but the danger is that she will simply move earlier and earlier in the day to circumvent this - the danger being that the closer to breakfast she is the less she will eat - and once she's eaten, however little, she will refuse to eat later in the day. In any case, I can't organise a carer instantly, so we still have to get through the next few days without starvation. She is only about 6 stone, if that - OK, she is only about 4'11" but she is absolutely skin and bone. She's been referred to the dietician, but again, we can't wait.

She still has enough awareness left to try to discuss things but she got very angry today when I tried to discuss it with her, and I'm dreading going round tomorrow since I will have a long wait during which she will be impossible to distract. She simply refuses to believe that she has ever burnt her food, or is losing weight, or that she has any problem looking after herself.

I know this is a relatively small problem compared to what so many on this forum are facing but I feel absolutely defeated after she told me today, 'I wish you would find someone else to look after, then you would leave me alone and stop bothering me.' I've done some non-violent communication training, and wish I had the presence of mind simply to acknowledge her feeling of frustration, and missing her enjoyment of being able to do everything for herself. Instead, I said, 'I'm feeling upset, and I'm just going to leave the room for a few minutes to have a cry.' Which I then did.

I am tempted to simply bring her a ready meal myself every day as we live close enough, but this would slow me down in the endless tasks I have to do to get this house sold - I feel like I am moving through treacle every day.

Sorry for the long rant, it's just all come to a head today. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Gladys

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Hi:) I also care for my MIL.

She also has hang ups and funny ideas re food!!! She can not use anything to re heat food and really only makes tea or coffee. Yes she tells everyone she cooks, cleans, etc etc all of which is untrue;)

I have given up work to care for my MIL who lives a half hour drive each way from us. I keep things to a very similar routine as possible to keep her as calm as possible. So I go mon,wed & fri. We make a shopping list and go the tesco, on returning we make lunch. She sometimes makes us a salad, but that is even becoming less now. We have a selection of things she likes which I prepare for her. She NEVER eats anything for breakfast and we usual eat around 1-2pm, I also get her to take her meds then (in front of me so I know she's had them!) She will eat egg and chips (everyday given a choice:rolleyes) Pizza and salad, quiche and salad or lasagne. She also loves pre-packed sandwiches which we buy and leave in the fridge for tea time and the days I'm not there. I also get her other things to try and tempt her to eat when I'm not there. She comes to our house for sat afternoon & eve with dinner. She has flatly refused to even consider meals on wheels:mad: Or anyone else coming to help her in anyway.

I find less is definitely more with this illness. My MIL and I sometimes have little fall outs and this week has actually been a really difficult one. Everyone has different issues and struggles. I've been caring for MIL for over 18 months now and I worked as well for the 1st 8 months:eek: My husband is her only child and she is a widow. I do my best and she is able to live at home with our support, so far........but the sand is shifting again so who knows how long this set up will continue?????

Doing your best is the most we can give:) There's always help,advice and support here:)

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Sorry meant to add I don't really have an answer:( but maybe try to get her into a routine of sorts. I also find in my experience MIL eats well if I sit and eat with her. She's very slow so I read the paper still sat in my chair whilst she finshes and if I find a suitable story I read it to her. If I get up before she is finished, she stops eating:(

Well done and keep going!!! Let us know if you find a solution.;)

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
I am tempted to simply bring her a ready meal myself every day as we live close enough, but this would slow me down in the endless tasks I have to do to get this house sold - I feel like I am moving through treacle every day.

Gladys

Hello Gladys

I had a similar problem with my MIL, who threw a hissy fit when I tried to organise meals-on-wheels. We also had issues with the burnt dinners, half-eaten plates of food left festering in the microwave, frozen food left out on the counter....you name it! In the end, I did exactly what you are suggesting (in the small excerpt above). What's more, I cooked for myself as well, and sat with her and FIL and we all ate together. I think they genuinely liked having company as well, which helped no end with the mealtime routine!

You say that doing this would slow you down, but if you think about it, you will probably only be spending a short time sitting with your MIL and eating - particularly given her small appetite. You would also have the journey time to and from her house, clearly. Even so, it may be worth the investment in time in doing this, compared to the considerably greater hassle of organising a carer, whom she will probably reject anyway (judging from how you describe her). If you try eating with her, do make sure you have an exit plan so that you can get away promptly at the end of mealtimes. You might tell her that you are expecting an important phone call at 2pm, for example. You will probably be able to repeat your excuses, as the chances are she won't remember what you said the day before!

Good luck!

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
I also have problems with my mum and food. If MIL can use a microwave, have you tried Witshire farm foods? They can be heated in a microwave, which is less dangerous than an oven. The film on top stays on whilst cooking, so no mess. Mind you, my mum managed to burn a sticky toffee pudding last week.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Hi Gladys,

I hear how much you are trying to organise things for your MIL. However, she is burning food, trying to eat burnt food that might be contaminated with plastic. This really is no longer safe.

We went through this with mother. Coming to her house and finding mouldy remnants of salmon, curled up bits of ham, fungus covered vegetables in the fridge and geriatirc frozen meals in her freezer. It was clearly no longer safe.

I am going to suggest that, even with whatever solution you try, be it meals on wheels, Wiltshire etc your MIL is no longer safe. The better outcome is to look for a care home. This is going to come across as very blunt. How are you going to feel should she end up really poorly due to her inability to distinguish between food fit to eat or food that will make her poorly?

What I described regarding mother was the turning point for the decision to move her to extra assisted living. 4 years ago, despite poor memory and appalling eating she definitely had capacity. 3 1/2 years on her capacity is virtually non-existent and she is happy in la la land but now ready for a care home.

Before you go any further with selling your home to buy a bigger one may I suggest you get advice from the following organisations? You have such a warm heart and good intentions. However, having gone through this I think the advice from the organisations below will give good guidance.

Alzheimers Society
www.alzheimers.org.uk

Age UK
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Admiral Nurses
www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

The priority is MIL's safety and that is clearly in question currently.

Best of luck.

DaisyK4

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hi Glady's Hattie!
I have a similar problem. Mum can't cook anymore. She thinks she can. I have organised meals on wheels. Mum makes a sandwich about an hour before her meal arrives. She will eat the meat & the pudding but won't touch the veg. I have tried notes but they don't work! She is gaining weight at an alarming rate!
No help but I hope it makes you feel better xxx
Just reread the previous posts. My worries are so insignificant in comparison. Still tough when you are the only one x

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sorry you are having this problem. My mum lives with me and she has a very healthy appetite will eat almost every meal I serve her. The only answer I can see and you have already suggested it, take a ready made meal to her home, reheat and just stay around until she tucks in, even if she does not finish it while you are there be satisfied that you have seen her eat enough, then you can leave, hopefully she will continue to eat the meal. Leave a bowl of dessert for her too. Because of the complicated timing Wheels on meals is not going to work. Really do think this is a task you will have to take on now.

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
Sorry meant to add I don't really have an answer:( but maybe try to get her into a routine of sorts. I also find in my experience MIL eats well if I sit and eat with her. She's very slow so I read the paper still sat in my chair whilst she finshes and if I find a suitable story I read it to her. If I get up before she is finished, she stops eating:(

Well done and keep going!!! Let us know if you find a solution.;)

Thank you, Mimi 5! My immediate worry is just getting through the next few weeks - we are going to persist with Meals on Wheels for another 2 weeks to give it a chance to work. Other changes such as the bathing and the walking frame caused a lot of conflict and stand-off, and just about when we were at breaking point, she started to grudgingly accept them. Now she does accept them and even occasionally mentions that the bathing ladies are nice, or that the walking frame is useful. If we just can't get it to work, then a private carer who can commit to her preferred time, or we could drop off heated meals at her preferred time, with back-up from Meals on Wheels if we have to be away.

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
Before you go any further with selling your home to buy a bigger one may I suggest you get advice from the following organisations? You have such a warm heart and good intentions. However, having gone through this I think the advice from the organisations below will give good guidance.

The priority is MIL's safety and that is clearly in question currently.

Best of luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for sharing your experience - part of the problem was I was feeling guilty about how bad the situation has got to with Mum, but your kind post has reminded me this is a familiar pattern with dementia. The house situation for all of us is a bit more complicated: My husband and I are desperate to move to the other side of the country (lots of reasons, including my own health and being close to other family; Mum has lost all interest in social contacts here) but we don't want to move Mum twice, since moving can be so traumatic for older people. We ideally want her to move in with us because her care needs at them moment are things we could handle, with the reassurance of being under the same roof to keep an eye on her safety, carers coming in to help, and with suitable ground floor accommodation for her. We can afford this once we sell our own house - the issue is timing, not money. If by the time of the move she is ready for a care home, then we would want to move her to a care home very close to our new house - but can't move her to the new area until we know for definite precisely where we will be moving to, and when. If the situation deteriorates we will get her into a CH here, until the move, then move her to a CH closer to us - but we are trying to get the move achieved before we get to that point, if we possibly can.

Thank you for bringing this up though, because it is really helpful to be reminded not to feel guilty when it does get to the point where we need to change to a CH - and this may be sooner than I have been thinking!

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
Hi Glady's Hattie!
I have a similar problem. Mum can't cook anymore. She thinks she can. I have organised meals on wheels. Mum makes a sandwich about an hour before her meal arrives. She will eat the meat & the pudding but won't touch the veg. I have tried notes but they don't work! She is gaining weight at an alarming rate!
No help but I hope it makes you feel better xxx
Just reread the previous posts. My worries are so insignificant in comparison. Still tough when you are the only one x

Ah, it's so funny when you have one problem, you actually envy other people's problems - how about we swap weight gain for weigh loss, then they will both be fine :D

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
Sorry you are having this problem. My mum lives with me and she has a very healthy appetite will eat almost every meal I serve her. The only answer I can see and you have already suggested it, take a ready made meal to her home, reheat and just stay around until she tucks in, even if she does not finish it while you are there be satisfied that you have seen her eat enough, then you can leave, hopefully she will continue to eat the meal. Leave a bowl of dessert for her too. Because of the complicated timing Wheels on meals is not going to work. Really do think this is a task you will have to take on now.

Thanks Tin, I think we will try to persist with Meals on Wheels for 2 weeks, just to give it a real chance, then if it doesn't work, go onto bringing meals to her every day, with Meals on Wheels as a back-up if we have to be away. Luckily, once Mum has started eating, she will carry on, is quite content with the newspaper and radio, and likes the routine of washing up and making an after-lunch coffee (which she can still just about manage).

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
I also have problems with my mum and food. If MIL can use a microwave, have you tried Witshire farm foods? They can be heated in a microwave, which is less dangerous than an oven. The film on top stays on whilst cooking, so no mess. Mind you, my mum managed to burn a sticky toffee pudding last week.

Sorry you are having this problem too. Our Mum just won't be able to learn a new way of heating food, other than what she is already used to, I'm afraid. She might put a plate with gilding, or a piece of cutlery in the microwave, or over heat the food and burn herself, so we want to keep the microwave out of the equation!

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi, I'm new here and would be really grateful for some advice.

Hi
My MIL is like this unfortunately it seems to be a common problem. She refused hot meal service so we found that the only way she would eat was to employ a carer to come in and heat up a microwave meal. It seemed that if the carer sat with her and chatted she would always eat the food. We tried to make the carer call at the same time but there are limitations in the agency roster so it doesn't always work out and then we get tantrums about cancelling the service but we always stand our ground. It seems to be normal for PWD to say they can cope when clearly they can't. No magic answer I'm afraid.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum once put a potnoodle in the microwave! She used to go to a lunchclub 3 times a week but stopped going last year after a long hospital stay so I also got a carer to come in at lunchtime to heat up Wiltshire farm foods mini meals. The meals always look nice and most are under £3 including delivery. They also do frozen porridge which the morning carer heats up.

Gladys Hattie

Jun 21, 2017
Thanks to all for your supportive comments. We got to the point where she was saving up all of the Meals on Wheels food, and when we tried to get her to eat, she was adamant that she had already eaten (when there was no way she could have, based on the leftover food we were keeping track of), and got very cross that we were 'accusing her of lying'. She seemed to be creating a false memory of having eaten a full lunch. We had just taken the decision to start bringing her meals ourselves, but my husband had a talk with her. When he told her we would bring her meals, she said, 'But do you want to do that - it's a lot of trouble for you.' He said we would be happy to do it if she needs us to, but asked 'would you be willing to wait just a little bit longer to have your lunch at about 1pm, when they can bring you your meals?' She said yes, she would try! Yesterday she called us at 11am and again at 12 to say she had no food in the house, but we reminded her she had a meal coming. Husband went up later to check she had eaten it, and she had eaten all of it, no food in the bin! She also said she enjoyed it. She forgot and called again today, but when I reminded her that a meal will be delivered, she accepted this.

It's early days, but I think she has gotten over the refusal to eat, and saving food for later. If she forgets, we can reassure her that she has a meal coming, as long as she doesn't get distressed. Maybe once she gets into the habit of Meals on Wheels, she will forget less often and come to expect her meals to be delivered.