Advice and information needed re DAT Scan

buddhamammy

Aug 25, 2013
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, in fact to the world of dementia. I am already caring for my daughter who has complex disabilities so I am lucky in that I have good friends and support.
My mum in law, who lives in sheltered housing, has become quite confused very fast and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital as she refused to go into hospital. She is a challenging woman and vocal and I think that has been held against her now.
The doctors suspect she has Lewe Body Dementia and will not try any medication until this is confirmed, but to do that she needs a DAT Scan. Mae is terrified of scans, is claustrophobic and confused. I asked to attend with her, the hospital refused, we said she would need sedation, they did not give it. Needless to say she would not cooperate, I am angry..with the hospital.
They say they don't know if they can sedate her as they don't know is she has to respond to requests/commands.

Does anyone on here know what is involved in a DAT scan? Does she need to move at all or be fully alert? I find it hard to believe they expect a terrified 83 year old who is confused to be fully cooperative but maybe that's me.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks