Advice about my mum.

patricia48

Apr 4, 2013
Fairly new to this site - what is CRAG? I came on this forum tonight, as I am worried that my Mum, who is now in a care home, has been taken off Aricept (Donezapel) - she has been on it since 2007! Yes she is in advanced stages of Alzheimer's, but is happy and content most of the time, and some days shows many signs of being "with it". How can a visit from the memory management nurse, (unannounced so I was not there!) prompt cancellation of this drug. Mum had a chest infection, was on antibiotics and in bed when she visited - in other words not at her best! Even though Mum is in a care home, I feel that I am her main carer, and am of the opinion that she should stay on this - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Have made appointment to see GP, but any advice on what else I can do?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This might help explain CRAG

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/charging-for-residential-accommodation-guide-crag-2011

I know many people on the forum have the experience of this which I don't have. I'm sure someone will be along to help. If the link I have given is not the most up to date or helpful then I'm sure someone wil provide something more relevant.

I think it would be a good idea to have a discussion with the GP. My husband was taken off medications for Alzheimers when his score reached a certain level on the MMSE test (Mini Mental State Exam). The memory clinic doctor takes to me about this though and explained that she felt that they were no longer making any difference to his mental decline. I did argue with her about it but eventually I agreed that he should come off them.

patricia48

Apr 4, 2013
Thank you for the info on CRAG - not an acronym I have come across before!! I have been to Mum's GP and am pleased to report that the Donezapel has been reinstated. Although I agree that it is probably not doing any good, it is not doing any harm, and nobody could say what the results of coming off it may be. I am so grateful for the GPs pragmatic approach. Perhaps I will sleep better tonight - you try not to get stressed, but all we ever want to do is the best we can for our loved ones.
Thanks again

I know many people on the forum have the experience of this which I don't have. I'm sure someone will be along to help. If the link I have given is not the most up to date or helpful then I'm sure someone wil provide something more relevant.

I think it would be a good idea to have a discussion with the GP. My husband was taken off medications for Alzheimers when his score reached a certain level on the MMSE test (Mini Mental State Exam). The memory clinic doctor takes to me about this though and explained that she felt that they were no longer making any difference to his mental decline. I did argue with her about it but eventually I agreed that he should come off them.[/QUOTE]