Admiral Nurses

SafriMac

Jan 1, 2024
Just had a long chat with a lovely Admiral Nurse. Why didn't I know about Admiral Nurses?? My Mum has changed recently, she is neglecting her personal care. Lisa (the Admiral Nurse) did put it into perspective for me. Mum is probably reacting to me as she would have done when I was 11, so asking her to wash wouldn't have gone down well. I am going to speak to her surgery next week, it's been a long time since she was diagnosed and should be re-evaluated every year. I also have a contact for the local Admiralty Nurses and I've made an application to the local council for her needs to be assessed. I also have contact now for the local Age UK who have a commercial arm that can supply things like cleaners and gardeners, need that, the poor garden has been a bit neglected this year and it needs some TLC. I'm sat at my PC under the stairs and Charlie (The One-Eyed Bogg 🐶) is curled up next to me, happy to have company, as Mum is still in bed. Lisa suggested that having someone else come to speak to Mum will probably be taken very differently, so am hoping that we can get a carer at least once a week who can look after washing. Since having a minor brush with cancer in 2023 I have reduced my hours at work to 20, and it has made things much easier, but I am sliding, slowly, into debt. Nothing of great concern, but I need more money and I'm hoping that I get an Attendance Allowance for carers doing over 35 hours a week providing home care. If I went back to doing 30 hours a week at work it would be a struggle both physically and mentally. Meanwhile it is a lovely sunny morning which makes things seem better and I needed to vent! Happy New Year to you all ❤

Somerset girl

Dec 20, 2023
I have the support of the Admiral Nurses, they are wonderful. However, I understand that they are only available for the families of military personnel.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I have the support of the Admiral Nurses, they are wonderful. However, I understand that they are only available for the families of military personnel.

There may not be an Admiral Nurse in every area of the uk but they are not restricted to army personnel. If there is not one available in a person’s locality then they have a Helpline. I once contacted them by email and got a helpful response.

. https://www.dementiauk.org/informat...agnosis-and-support/what-is-an-admiral-nurse/

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @SafriMac and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so pleased that you found the Admiral Nurses helpful, many of our members have had the same experience. It sounds as if you are starting to get a good caring plan in place which will help you both physically and mentally.
Just one more thing that I would suggest and that if you have not already done so to make sure that you have an LPA for both finance and health in place if your mum still has the capacity to agree, this will make things much easier further down the line.
Keep posting here if you need any advice or even just to chat, you will always find a listening ear.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Just had a long chat with a lovely Admiral Nurse. Why didn't I know about Admiral Nurses?? My Mum has changed recently, she is neglecting her personal care. Lisa (the Admiral Nurse) did put it into perspective for me. Mum is probably reacting to me as she would have done when I was 11, so asking her to wash wouldn't have gone down well. I am going to speak to her surgery next week, it's been a long time since she was diagnosed and should be re-evaluated every year. I also have a contact for the local Admiralty Nurses and I've made an application to the local council for her needs to be assessed. I also have contact now for the local Age UK who have a commercial arm that can supply things like cleaners and gardeners, need that, the poor garden has been a bit neglected this year and it needs some TLC. I'm sat at my PC under the stairs and Charlie (The One-Eyed Bogg 🐶) is curled up next to me, happy to have company, as Mum is still in bed. Lisa suggested that having someone else come to speak to Mum will probably be taken very differently, so am hoping that we can get a carer at least once a week who can look after washing. Since having a minor brush with cancer in 2023 I have reduced my hours at work to 20, and it has made things much easier, but I am sliding, slowly, into debt. Nothing of great concern, but I need more money and I'm hoping that I get an Attendance Allowance for carers doing over 35 hours a week providing home care. If I went back to doing 30 hours a week at work it would be a struggle both physically and mentally. Meanwhile it is a lovely sunny morning which makes things seem better and I needed to vent! Happy New Year to you all ❤
have you checked which benefits you are entitled to? i think the attendance allowance is for your mum and claimed in her name. may need to look into carers allowance but thats got certain criteria of how much you earn and how many hours your are caring for mum. may need to look into it a bit more. age uk can help there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireBryceSmith