Accommodation costs for family?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
My mum’s relative is thinking of visiting her from N America. When we have gone there they have always put us up in hotel rooms And paid etc. Can I do the same reciprocally with mum’s money via POA? It feels very mean not to - she can afford it - I certainly couldn’t afford to pay the bill myself And have so much of her stuff in my place it’s not suitable for guests yet 🙈🙈

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My understanding is that if it is for a social visit this isn't allowed. However if it is to provide care it is.

However I'd also say that if your mum has normally paid and is unlikely to run out of funds I'd be inclined to go ahead and do it as no one will be asking questions if funds won't run out.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If it is what she would do if she had capacity and she can afford it as far as POA is concerned answer is yes, consider it as a reciprocal gift

LA and deprivation is another matter which does not arrive until upper limit is reached.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would check first just to cover yourself.

I was allowed to give my mother`s granddaughter [my niece] a cash wedding present which I know my mother would have wanted. Social Services OKed it.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Keep it reasonable- couple of nights in a travel lodge near her, further than that.... Don't book a forninght in the Rizt! - cant imagine anyone will ask questions.
I wouldn't think it reasoable for her to pick up the tab for the whole of their stay

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks all - yes I was thinking 2/3 nights in a hotel or Airbnb close to mum. unless she has a super extended late phase of dementia I don’t think she will reach the LA threshold so we’re safe in that department.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I was pretty certain mum would never need LA funding, she was many years away when she died aged 93, so I always spent how she would have done.

Others might disagree, but as there would be no LA involvement I took the view that if I spent in accordance with her past wishes/behaviour and kept my brother informed (Other POA and beneficiary of her estate) then there would be no issues.

Whilst I'm of the opinion it was her money whilst she was alive, I did need to bear in mind that she wasn't likely to spend it all and therefore keep (uninvolved) sibling informed.