Access to cash problem for father in care home

InTheSticks

Apr 6, 2023
Our dad is 95 and living in a care home. He has lucid moments but they are becoming fewer and far between. Our problem is that he thinks he is constantly moving from one location to another and that he needs to pay in cash every time this happens. He also wants to tip people. He has lived his whole life carrying cash and because he no longer has any has assumed my sister and me are stealing his pension. The care home do not like residents holding cash, understandably, and dad expects to hold about £200 in his room, which seems impractical. We have tried explaining that everything is paid for in advance but to no avail. This is causing him stress and making him unhappy, which in turn makes our visits quite difficult because he gets frustrated with us. Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do?

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018
hi I've seen another tread like this and it was suggested, children's play shop money. I thought this was a great idea. maybe have a look at Ebay or Amazon for realistic fake money.Tell the care home you would like to try this to see if he would be any happier?

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
It is illegal to photocopy cash I think. I don’t know how aware your dad is. Bit some mocked up currency might help? Just a thought. Or a ‘cheque book’ ?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
In my mums home they used pretend money for the residents to have with them , it help them to feel less vulnerable and more in control with out any actual cash going missing.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Another possibility is old notes that are no longer legal tender. They can be bought quite cheaply on ebay.

I bought some paper napkins with what appeared to be bank notes printed on them, cut them up and put them in mums purse. They were only printed on one side and the texture wasnt the same as real notes, but mum was quite happy. It might not work for your dad, though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jude04