Access to bank account via online?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The lost passport may not be sinister. Many PWDs put things that worry them into a "safe place".
When I cleared out mums bungalow after she went into her care home I found hundreds of pounds in cash in her knicker drawer, several unpaid bills "posted" between the towels in the airing cupboard, her birth certificate and marriage certificate sandwiched between books in the bookshelf, her will in with her table linen, deeds of her home stuffed behind the chest of drawers and a heavy gold chain in the bottom of the tea caddy with tea bags placed on the top. Fortunately I had found her passport earlier on - wedged at the back of her wardrobe - when I went to get some shoes for her.

I

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Rambling Sid said "The account holder may be none the wiser, and the post goes un re-directed"

If someone at the original address (your mother, her visitors) bins the letter, it doesn't matter, they don't have to do anything to activate/authorise the service, it is effectively just 'for information'. But your mother/whoever sees the letter will of course know the redirection is in place, and potentially could take action to stop it. Before you can do a 'redirection in special circumstances' you need an LPA in place.

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Hm, my link only says
"In Northern Ireland, practices vary between banks so you should speak to your bank, which will be able to tell you what its practices are."
Which isn't particularly helpful, but it does suggest to ask what your particular bank is doing instead of trusting "a bank official who lives nearby". And yes, I wasn't aware you're in NI.

Hello have been away for a time as my 9 year old computer has been playing up ( again Vista 64 bit ).
I have unearthed some things which seem to be unique to me anyway.
I spoke to our bank, we are both known to the staff as my wife used to make frequent visits to reset her debit card which had locked up due to wrong pin numbers.
They said that they followed the british bankers code of practice but would consider the circumstances before putting any restrictions on a joint account if one partner had Alzheimers.They would have to see evidence of wrong doing before acting.
I then contacted a local solicitor to enquire about LPA. They said that they would not do it unless I had a letter from her psychiatrist stating that she was capable of understanding a legal document.
During a recent visit to the doc I asked if he would supply such a letter. No chance, he said, but gave me a list of private practitioners who would do it for a considerable fee.
Strange, considering he was the one who did the initial diagnosis.
I found out later that his reluctance was due to the fact that he did not have insurance against patient litigation.
So, there it is. I will investigate the possibility of doing it online.
Seems when you are on the ropes you will get a knockout punch from somewhere.

Member65566

Apr 21, 2017
Hello have been away for a time as my 9 year old computer has been playing up ( again Vista 64 bit ).
I have unearthed some things which seem to be unique to me anyway.
I spoke to our bank, we are both known to the staff as my wife used to make frequent visits to reset her debit card which had locked up due to wrong pin numbers.
They said that they followed the british bankers code of practice but would consider the circumstances before putting any restrictions on a joint account if one partner had Alzheimers.They would have to see evidence of wrong doing before acting.
I then contacted a local solicitor to enquire about LPA. They said that they would not do it unless I had a letter from her psychiatrist stating that she was capable of understanding a legal document.
During a recent visit to the doc I asked if he would supply such a letter. No chance, he said, but gave me a list of private practitioners who would do it for a considerable fee.
Strange, considering he was the one who did the initial diagnosis.
I found out later that his reluctance was due to the fact that he did not have insurance against patient litigation.
So, there it is. I will investigate the possibility of doing it online.
Seems when you are on the ropes you will get a knockout punch from somewhere.
John, I’ve recently set up EPA for my gran using a reputable firm in Belfast. Cost around £400 to include psychiatric assessment. Let me know if you want any details as they were very good. Recommended by Alzheimer’s Association.

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Thanks for that info Rubi, Glad you have sorted things.. I feel it is somewhat unfair that you have to pay for a separate psychiatric assessment when your gran has already been diagnosed by an NHS medic. A tax on the ill, methinks.

Herewego

Mar 9, 2017
The individual that suggested you go to the police is correct. If to your knowledge your mother should definitely have funds in her account and there isn't any, then it is highly likely something 'fishy' has happened. It may be that you can not access the information needed but your police can and should.

You should also take over managing your mom's affairs so getting the Lasting Power forms for finance and health and welfare should be a priority even if they are not in time for this issue, you are clearly going to need them in the near future. They do make everything so much easier and you can do them yourself. Download them from the web, fill them in get your mom to sign and send them off.

I manage my husband's online bank accounts as he can no longer do them himself. They were set up in his name etc something he had done himself before his memory got so bad that he couldn't do it anymore. I have his access details and have changed the contact details to my mobile number and my email.

I do not think there is a problem with you setting up an online account on behalf of your mom. I would try to explain to her what I was doing and why (to make her life easier etc) and get her to sign a paper (prior to geting the Lasting Power of A.) that says she gives me permission to set up an online account on her behalf.

I don't know, but the bank may have forms your mom could sign to speed things up??

Create a joint account? My husband and I have just done that with one of his accounts as although I have LPOA it made more sense to just put me on as a joint account holder as I do everything for him on this account anyway. One proviso tho' if your mom is too confused to provide consent in a way which the bank believe she knows what she is doing, then they may (and quite rightly) decide they will only do it if you have a LPOA. Frustrating for you but a necessary safeguard I think.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Herewego Rambling Sid subsequently said that funds were in the account and his cheque has cleared. So he now has no reason to think fraud has taken place. Hopefully he is now down the road of taking out an LPA (assuming his mother still has capacity) so will be able to access the account in the near future.

Herewego

Mar 9, 2017
@Herewego Rambling Sid subsequently said that funds were in the account and his cheque has cleared. So he now has no reason to think fraud has taken place. Hopefully he is now down the road of taking out an LPA (assuming his mother still has capacity) so will be able to access the account in the near future.

Thanks for the update Sirena.

Rambling Sid

Mar 7, 2018
Update: I have a letter from the Office of the Public Guardian stating that the LPA should be with me by the end of May. So that is one less headache.