Abusive mother has dementia

elbar23

Oct 30, 2023
I have no idea what to do. Sorry for the long background story.

My mother has always been verbally abusive, manipulative and neglectful. I have very few childhood memories of her due to extreme trauma. I am an only child so nobody to fill in the blanks and my father was a compulsive liar and king of gaslighting. However, he was my hero when I was a child and I always hated my mother. He died a few years ago and the extent of his lies became apparent. I've never shared these with my mum because he was also her hero.

I emigrated ten years ago to escape their controlling and toxic behaviour but have never confronted them about it. When my first child was born I just emotionally shutdown from them in the realisation of what parental love looks like and how abnormal their treatment was. Before I became a mum I just thought I was the problem and unlovable.

Since Dad died, Mum has lost her sounding board and so every time I ring she lets off steam at me and mostly I just let her. If she becomes verbally abusive I will stand up for myself but then I she immediately turns into the victim and I don't love her or do anything for her.

She is awaiting a diagnosis but I have spoken with her GP who is pretty sure she has dementia. She forgot to go to the appointment for the diagnosis, which she believes is to work out if anti-anxiety medication that caused memory loss can be reversed. She is obsessed that the doctors made a mistake leaving her on the medication too long and wants compensation so that she can pay for a live-in carer for life. She is 75 so even if the tablets caused this, I'm not sure what sort of settlement she is expecting.

She has been hospitalised three times in her life for her nerves... Basically been sectioned but it is always someone else's fault and she never admits anything is wrong.

I was in a huge car crash and having CBT for PTSD and both my therapists have advised I cut contact with my mother because of her treatment of me and how it is contributing to the PTSD. But I can't. She is completely alone. She has one childhood friend and one new friend from church.

Clearly my Dad protected me from the extremes of her behaviour and now there is nobody but me. As the dementia is becoming more obvious, her appalling verbal abuse is worse and worse. She has always been unpredictable and I have to talk myself down from panic attacks before I ring her in case she is horrible to me. She is generally ok because I don't engage and just let her rant and sympathise about all the people she wants to badmouth.

But what should I do now she is going downhill? I've offered to have her live with us but thank Goodness she hates my husband so refused, also because "you know you have no patience. You couldn't put up with me living there."

She drives extremely dangerously and has had three bumps in the last year but I am not strong enough to be honest with her that she needs to give up driving.

She repeatedly tells me she wishes she was dead. This is a weekly comment since my Dad died. Today she said this and then added "you'd be happy then because you'd have all the money!" This isn't true because her and Dad told me that they've changed their will so my children inherit everything, supposedly to protect me from my husband taking it all. We've been together nearly twenty years so he is clearly very invested on getting his hands on their two bed bungalow!!

I am emotionally exhausted and I don't know what to do to help her from a distance while protecting my mental health. She has given financial and health power of attorney to a solicitor because I live away and so she has nobody else. So realistically I'm not sure what I could do anyway.

Everyone tells me that she is lucky I bother at all given her behaviour. But I feel awful that she clearly has had mental health problems all her adult life and it isn't her fault. But that doesn't stop the hurt when she is nasty. I'm scared how much more abusive she may get with the dementia.

I don't love her like someone should love their mum. I just keep in touch out of duty. I know that makes me an awful person and she deserves genuine affection in her later years. Is there anyway I can help and protect myself?

Any advice or even cold hard judgement to give me a wake up call, gratefully received. Thank you!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@elbar23, a warm welcome to Dementia Support Forum. This is a very friendly and supportive place so I'm glad you've found us.
Please don't consider having your mum live with you. Pre dementia mum and I were good friends, dementia turned her into a very difficult woman and she very much wanted to live with me. I knew if she did it would have been a disaster as I haven't got the patience needed to care for someone with dementia. I think from what you've said it wouldn't work at all.
Assuming your mum is in the UK I think you need to inform the DVLA about her driving. She may have already been told to stop and is ignoring the advice.
You could also contact her local social services and tell them she is a vulnerable adult at risk. She certainly sounds like she needs more support than she is maybe getting.
Finally, you don't have to be in contact with her directly. Do you know her friend's email or phone number. You could keep in touch with what's she's up to via them. Your own well-being, and more importantly that of your children is the most important thing right now.
I'm sure others will be along shortly with their ideas.

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018
Hello Elbar23,
I completely understand your predicament.
Please don’t allow your Mum to move in with you, even if she changes her mind. It will affect your marriage and your relationship with your children!
My mother was just the same as yours and I felt as the only one left, I should be the better person and try to help her. She moved in with me for 18 months and it was pure torture.
You have survived your childhood, do you want to be her victim now?
Mine would rant that whilst I stood in front of her, my Father would live on. He is very much alive just left her many years ago. She had told many over the years that he used to beat her and was an alcoholic all not true!
When I finally got her to memory clinic and they started to assess her, her story became me as the abuser. No marks on her but she was believed . A safeguard issue was raised, without informing me?
I had LPA in place for both health and finance, along with my son. Her social worker believed my mum, the mental health team were possibly more bonkers than my mum. They persuaded her to remove them both, then said she didn’t have capacity so instructed someone else.
I spent thousands trying to sort this and gave up eventually due to it draining me financially and emotionally.
My Mum is now in a home, lonely and sees no one.
I know where she is but unable to see her because of what she has stated in the past.
I hear unofficially that she still sticks to her story. I’m supposed to be the bad person ! Most are shocked, as I’m in business locally now to where my mother lived. The care home owners are my clients.
I feel I’m here, for the duration. Without any closure.
If you grew up with someone with mental health problems as a child, it becomes much worse with dementia.
I hear you are empathetic but this will end up getting you sectioned!
If you keep in the back of your mind, how bad she was when you were little, she will try to manipulate you back there. This is not good for you.
As for the driving, email her Doctors and tell them what is happening, they might not be allowed to speak with you but you might save someone’s life!
If she shouts at you, it’s not you but her Doctor.
I understand how you feel, but this really is about you and your children, help where you can but don’t let the past become the future x

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I have no advice and you certainly do not deserve anyone’s negative or hard judgment. I would say hang your duty up and walk away, you have no legal requirements to care for your mum. I’m glad she did not chose to live with you, that would have been a bad move for all of your family.
The hard truth is that from now on in this dementia as yet to be diagnosed is going to get worse, her behaviour is going to get worse and eventually she will need professional care. Let social services and the GP do what they can for her. You concentrate on your family , your children and most importantly on yourself.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I have no advice and you certainly do not deserve anyone’s judgment. I would say hang your duty up and walk away, you have no legal requirements to care for your mum. I’m glad she did not chose to live with you, that would have been a bad move for all of your family.
The hard truth is that from now on in this dementia as yet to be diagnosed is going to get worse, her behaviour is going to get worse and eventually she will need professional care. Let social services and the GP do what they can for her. You concentrate on your family , your children and most importantly on yourself.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@elbar23 . I’ve never understood why it is that however we were treated by our mothers there is always this massive guilt trip. How I hate the phrase “ Oh but she is your mother“ as if the fact that she gave birth to you should make you eternally grateful however you are treated.
Don’t let her spoil the life you have now. Just remember why you emigrated.
I have to confess that in the final months of my mothers life ,she had dementia, I finally told her what I thought of her.
That might sound harsh I know but saying it finally brought me some peace at the age of 68.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I just wish to make one comment about this very sad story.

No, it wasn’t your mother’s fault that she has had mental health problems all her life but it wasn’t your fault either, nor do you have to accept responsibility for her and put your own health and that of your family at risk. You immigrated to give yourself a new life away from all the trauma of your childhood and that sounds as if you were showing great wisdom.

Please don’t let a misguided sense of responsibility wreck that for you now. She gave a solicitor LPAs for health and finance so obviously did not expect you to have that responsibility.

elbar23

Oct 30, 2023
Thank you for your replies everyone. Although I don't have power of attorney, Mum wants me to help. She endlessly guilts me for moving abroad. Even the power of attorney. She explained she was going to put me down for POV but at the last minute said she'd have to put the solicitor because I'm not there for her.

When I ring she rants at me that I don't do anything, I don't care etc. She clearly wants more from me than she's getting and I feel terrible that she's alone. But she has pushed everyone away with her nastiness. Even after Dad died I was ringing four times a day to let her cry and talk to her. Then the day of his funeral (during COVID and here there was total lockdown and I couldn't travel more than a kilometre from my home unless for specific reasons so I couldn't go back) I rang her and was just verbally abused for showing no care or interest or love for her since my Dad died. Then a week later she was shouting about how awful my Dad was because he knew the car lease was up on a few months and he couldn't even be bothered to hang on long enough to sort that for her. Just a few examples of why she's alone. But I still feel bad because she may have created this situation herself but I'm not helping.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thank you for your replies everyone. Although I don't have power of attorney, Mum wants me to help. She endlessly guilts me for moving abroad. Even the power of attorney. She explained she was going to put me down for POV but at the last minute said she'd have to put the solicitor because I'm not there for her.

When I ring she rants at me that I don't do anything, I don't care etc. She clearly wants more from me than she's getting and I feel terrible that she's alone. But she has pushed everyone away with her nastiness. Even after Dad died I was ringing four times a day to let her cry and talk to her. Then the day of his funeral (during COVID and here there was total lockdown and I couldn't travel more than a kilometre from my home unless for specific reasons so I couldn't go back) I rang her and was just verbally abused for showing no care or interest or love for her since my Dad died. Then a week later she was shouting about how awful my Dad was because he knew the car lease was up on a few months and he couldn't even be bothered to hang on long enough to sort that for her. Just a few examples of why she's alone. But I still feel bad because she may have created this situation herself but I'm not helping.
So you know she is loading you up with guilt, that she is manipulating you even though you aren’t near her. I understand that she is your mother but that doesn’t mean that she can suck the life out of you.

I will offer you the only piece of advice that I can think of and that is to reduce the number and length of your phone calls with her. You don’t have to listen to her ranting at you. When she starts that, why not say something like, “Gotta go, mum. There’s someone at the door.” and then politely hang up. You can call her to check on her and no one woukd blame you for that. But why do you listen to her when she is abusing you?

Nobody needs to listen to that and while you continue to let her do it, you are enabling her to be awful.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Although I don't have power of attorney, Mum wants me to help. She endlessly guilts me for moving abroad. Even the power of attorney. She explained she was going to put me down for POV but at the last minute said she'd have to put the solicitor because I'm not there for her.

When I ring she rants at me that I don't do anything, I don't care etc. She clearly wants more from me than she's getting and I feel terrible that she's alone
Im afraid that this is dementia.
Dementia always wants more than the carer can give and is only able to see their own wants needs and comforts.

Mum wanted to come and live with me and when I realised that I could not have both her and OH (who was also starting with symptoms) in the same house and look after both of them, she wanted me to give up my work, leave my OH and come and live with her. This is entirely opposite to what she would have once wanted and, quite honestly, was never going to happen.

The multiple phone calls are also classic dementia and all you can do is restrict them by not answering, or by placing your phone to VIP only at certain times.
xx

elbar23

Oct 30, 2023
Thank you. It's me that rings her because calls are expensive for her but we've bought a package for UK calls. I am enabling her. My husband has little sympathy because it's my choice and he doesn't see why I'm surprised by her behaviour when she has been consistently like this in the 23 years he's known her. It's just that the guilt is overwhelming especially now Dad has died and she has dementia.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @elbar23 ,
You have the right not to be abused, regardless the abusive person has or hasn't dementia, is or isn't your mother.
And...those who say they wish they were dead, most of the times go on living happily, so much so if they have managed to scare you and make you unhappy.
Here in Italy we say " Don 't get onto their merry-go-round "
Hugs

elbar23

Oct 30, 2023
I love the phrase don't get on their merry go round. I can't think of the equivalent in English but it's similar. I'm going to keep that in mind and try sorting support for her without making as much direct contact with her. Thank you everyone

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @elbar23, I think making sure your mum is safe without getting directly involved with her is an excellent thing to do. Make sure local social services are aware and if you know which solicitor she used make them aware too.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thank you. It's me that rings her because calls are expensive for her but we've bought a package for UK calls. I am enabling her. My husband has little sympathy because it's my choice and he doesn't see why I'm surprised by her behaviour when she has been consistently like this in the 23 years he's known her. It's just that the guilt is overwhelming especially now Dad has died and she has dementia.
Guilt for what?

I think you should take notice of your husband. He seems to understand the situation very well.

Merc57

Nov 5, 2023
I have no idea what to do. Sorry for the long background story.

My mother has always been verbally abusive, manipulative and neglectful. I have very few childhood memories of her due to extreme trauma. I am an only child so nobody to fill in the blanks and my father was a compulsive liar and king of gaslighting. However, he was my hero when I was a child and I always hated my mother. He died a few years ago and the extent of his lies became apparent. I've never shared these with my mum because he was also her hero.

I emigrated ten years ago to escape their controlling and toxic behaviour but have never confronted them about it. When my first child was born I just emotionally shutdown from them in the realisation of what parental love looks like and how abnormal their treatment was. Before I became a mum I just thought I was the problem and unlovable.

Since Dad died, Mum has lost her sounding board and so every time I ring she lets off steam at me and mostly I just let her. If she becomes verbally abusive I will stand up for myself but then I she immediately turns into the victim and I don't love her or do anything for her.

She is awaiting a diagnosis but I have spoken with her GP who is pretty sure she has dementia. She forgot to go to the appointment for the diagnosis, which she believes is to work out if anti-anxiety medication that caused memory loss can be reversed. She is obsessed that the doctors made a mistake leaving her on the medication too long and wants compensation so that she can pay for a live-in carer for life. She is 75 so even if the tablets caused this, I'm not sure what sort of settlement she is expecting.

She has been hospitalised three times in her life for her nerves... Basically been sectioned but it is always someone else's fault and she never admits anything is wrong.

I was in a huge car crash and having CBT for PTSD and both my therapists have advised I cut contact with my mother because of her treatment of me and how it is contributing to the PTSD. But I can't. She is completely alone. She has one childhood friend and one new friend from church.

Clearly my Dad protected me from the extremes of her behaviour and now there is nobody but me. As the dementia is becoming more obvious, her appalling verbal abuse is worse and worse. She has always been unpredictable and I have to talk myself down from panic attacks before I ring her in case she is horrible to me. She is generally ok because I don't engage and just let her rant and sympathise about all the people she wants to badmouth.

But what should I do now she is going downhill? I've offered to have her live with us but thank Goodness she hates my husband so refused, also because "you know you have no patience. You couldn't put up with me living there."

She drives extremely dangerously and has had three bumps in the last year but I am not strong enough to be honest with her that she needs to give up driving.

She repeatedly tells me she wishes she was dead. This is a weekly comment since my Dad died. Today she said this and then added "you'd be happy then because you'd have all the money!" This isn't true because her and Dad told me that they've changed their will so my children inherit everything, supposedly to protect me from my husband taking it all. We've been together nearly twenty years so he is clearly very invested on getting his hands on their two bed bungalow!!

I am emotionally exhausted and I don't know what to do to help her from a distance while protecting my mental health. She has given financial and health power of attorney to a solicitor because I live away and so she has nobody else. So realistically I'm not sure what I could do anyway.

Everyone tells me that she is lucky I bother at all given her behaviour. But I feel awful that she clearly has had mental health problems all her adult life and it isn't her fault. But that doesn't stop the hurt when she is nasty. I'm scared how much more abusive she may get with the dementia.

I don't love her like someone should love their mum. I just keep in touch out of duty. I know that makes me an awful person and she deserves genuine affection in her later years. Is there anyway I can help and protect myself?

Any advice or even cold hard judgement to give me a wake up call, gratefully received. Thank you!

Merc57

Nov 5, 2023
I can relate to much of what you write, though I was luckier than you in my upbringing. However, my mother has always been critical of me. I get the same problems as you - the abusive swearing phone calls, the blame culture - she can never be wrong. I too do much of what I do out of duty. I've just been to visit her for the weekend and suffered 2 days of anger and accusations. It is so hurtful. She is nasty about everyone. All the advice is to let them rant but when those rants are aimed at my children or husband I can't just let it go. I do feel very sorry for my Mum. Dementia is so awful. But we must also look after ourselves as we have our own families and lives. I realised yesterday after yet another very unpleasant phone conversation with my Mum ( I'd only rung her to say I'd got home OK after a 6 hour drive) that I needed to take stock over my own emotions and feelings. When I look back at how my Mum has been with me over the years, I see that many of her behaviours have always been there. The Alzheimers has just made them worse. Earlier today I sent a message to a local counsellor to get some help for me.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
I will echo what others have already said about not being guilt tripped into having your mother live with you. I also had a difficult childhood and left home the moment I was legally old enough. I’ve made sure my Mum has got the care she needs but have consistently given a clear message that I don’t want to be involved in her care. I’ve also made sure that this is documented in her notes. I would also limit the phone calls to your Mum and set a time limit.