Abuse

ktnic

Oct 23, 2013
Lancashire
Hi I’m enquiring for a neighbour whose son in law who has dementia. He is abusing his wife both physically & verbally. She has been told there is no help. Any suggestions?
Can I just say that I used to find Talking Point so helpful when both my parents had vascular dementia. I have volunteered for Alzheimer’s society for over 9 years now in the reading panel.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @ktnic and welcome back to the forum. You haven't said who has told your neighbour that there is no help available with regards to the verbal and physical abuse that her daughter is getting from her husband, was it her daughter? It's important that she speaks to her husband's GP, or her own GP, to let them know what is happening as a medication review might help, and the GP can also refer to the older adults mental health team. She should also make sure that she keeps a charged mobile phone on her at all times and has somewhere safe she can go to when her husband becomes abusive, such as a room with a lock, so that she is safe. If either she or her husband are at immediate risk of harm then the best thing to do is to ring 999. It may be that your neighbour's daughter doesn't feel able to involve the Police/mental health teams but there is help out there. It's good that you are trying to help, perhaps you could let your neighbour know about the Dementia Support Helpline and Admiral nurses, both of which will be able to offer advice and support and a way forward for the family:

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
She can also contact adult social care services if there is abuse. There is help available, it is a statutory duty. And if that is difficult to get, definitely the support of a helpline as above.