A year since Spain.........

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
This time last year we went on a family holiday to Spain, 4 adults 3 kids flew into Madrid and then a 5 hour drive to Murcia. What a holiday sun and relaxation. Hubby was able to swim in the pool play with the kids take part in all the daily activities. Nice bacardi and coke to relax with later in the evening. Yes sure we had a few hiccups he was abit disorientated in the night, using public toilets was a nightmare, couldn't take our eyes of him as he would wander off the other direction, but did we care about such trivial things no, and what I would give to have that time again. This year we won't be travelling anywhere will be sending my little man with my sister away for a break, will miss him like crazy but I don't want him to miss out. Never in my wildest dreams did I comprehend things would change so much hubby no longer dresses bathes or goes to the toilet by himself. You can read as much as you like about this dreaded disease you can come on TP and follow real life situations but until each stage grips you, you would not have believed it was going to happen to us. But it is happening to quick for my liking I just want it to stop. On Sunday my little boy was so excited it was fathers day I have never seen anyone so happy and loving towards someone as he was with his dad, kisses and hugs all day, cards, posters with dad written on them more kisses and hugs right until he went to bed. What is next year going to bring, I dread to think........sorry for carrying o. I just wanted to write all this down as last year was last year and I don't want to forget.........

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Well you are 'carrying on' Keegan2 but not in the way you mean! You don't need to apologize for it but need a big pat on the back for it. It's been a tough year for you all. Lovely to read about your little boy showering his Dad with love especially on Father's Day. None of us know do we what tomorrow will bring, taking one day at a time is all we can do.

Best wishes
Sue:)

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
It was on holiday in Spain that the penny dropped with me that my oh had dementia - Alzheimer's as it turned out. He could not remember if he had any clothes with him even though we had just unpacked. I remember our lovely holidays and am so glad we went when we did and as often as we did. Wish he could remember them

Your little boy sounds delightful it brought tears to my eyes. Its a mean and spiteful disease.

Best wishes xx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
It sounds like your little boy knows deep down his dad is slipping away too, by his behaviour. He has had another father's day which his dad enjoyed to remember and that is very precious.

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
holidays

This time last year we went on a family holiday to Spain, 4 adults 3 kids flew into Madrid and then a 5 hour drive to Murcia. What a holiday sun and relaxation. Hubby was able to swim in the pool play with the kids take part in all the daily activities. Nice bacardi and coke to relax with later in the evening. Yes sure we had a few hiccups he was abit disorientated in the night, using public toilets was a nightmare, couldn't take our eyes of him as he would wander off the other direction, but did we care about such trivial things no, and what I would give to have that time again. This year we won't be travelling anywhere will be sending my little man with my sister away for a break, will miss him like crazy but I don't want him to miss out. Never in my wildest dreams did I comprehend things would change so much hubby no longer dresses bathes or goes to the toilet by himself. You can read as much as you like about this dreaded disease you can come on TP and follow real life situations but until each stage grips you, you would not have believed it was going to happen to us. But it is happening to quick for my liking I just want it to stop. On Sunday my little boy was so excited it was fathers day I have never seen anyone so happy and loving towards someone as he was with his dad, kisses and hugs all day, cards, posters with dad written on them more kisses and hugs right until he went to bed. What is next year going to bring, I dread to think........sorry for carrying o. I just wanted to write all this down as last year was last year and I don't want to forget.........

How well I remember our holidays.when I lovely wife June first had dementia we both decided to see the world we went to India Africa Mexico to mention just a few.as her dementia got worse we got nearer to home the last one was only20miles from home she is no in a nursing home I am so glad for the holidays we had I am the only one with the memories but I show June the picture my point is be happy with the memories and take each day as it comes take care and look after yourself

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I think every photo album we have are the most precious possessions we have Well i suppose I should say I have. Lovely holidays in Cornwall and Wales and then as far away as Mexico. Kenya. Egypt and loads more. So we have been very fortunate and I can remember so much of then all. Some were with friends and we have the old fashioned videos of the things we did. Me parascending, all on a safari, us going out early morning to see the wild animals. Such a shame. David won't sit and look at anything for 2 seconds. So we can't look back together.xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

I had tears in my eyes too, reading this. What a wonderful little lad your son is, bless him. And you're absolutely right, in what you say about reading about AD, but not realising the implications until it's your family that's affected.

And Sweetie, you're not "carrying on", and you have no reason whatsoever to apologise. You're sharing your life with us, and though we can't make it better, I found that it helps enormously to recount the facts to people who truly understand what you must be going through. xxx

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Thanks for your kind words. It's true on here you can express yourself openly and not be judged.....I too once walked with my eyes closed unaware of what surrounds us my eyes are now open as I too am experiencing things which many are suffering behind closed doors I am not ashamed nor should anyone else we should live our lives and allow our loved ones the opportunity to enjoy what they can when they want without people staring our young son makes me proud by holding his dad's hand and takes every opportunity to let everyone know he's his dad.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thanks for your kind words. It's true on here you can express yourself openly and not be judged.....I too once walked with my eyes closed unaware of what surrounds us my eyes are now open as I too am experiencing things which many are suffering behind closed doors I am not ashamed nor should anyone else we should live our lives and allow our loved ones the opportunity to enjoy what they can when they want without people staring our young son makes me proud by holding his dad's hand and takes every opportunity to let everyone know he's his dad.

What a wonderful blessing your little lad must be. In spite of his tender youth, he has the most incredible insight, and perception. How proud you must be of him. :) xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp