A small success

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I know a lot of you are following my current trials regarding the Social Services and Care Home where my husband is currently living. During a meeting with the management and social workers and DIST team recently I was asked 'what are the positives of him being in the Care Home' and 'what are the negatives of him being in the Care Home'.

As one of the negatives I mentioned the quality and variety of the food, in my opinion, wasn't adequate. Breakfast every day is an option of cereals, porridge, toast, tea, coffee, fruit juice, milk shake (the processed type). There is a breakfast trolly each morning that has either sausage sandwiches, bacon sandwiches or fried egg sandwiches one day and a full English breakfast on the alternate days. The 11.00am tea trolly offered tea, coffee, biscuits and sometimes cakes. Lunch consists of two options. One is invariably things like sausage and mash, sausage egg and chips, chicken nuggets and chips and the other option could be pasta, beef stew or a roast dinner. Dessert is invariably an option of cake and cream or cake and custard with rice pudding appearing on a regular basis. I am not there for supper but am told it is something like beans on toast, sandwiches and cakes. If a resident is hungry during the day they are offered chocolate or crisps.

I asked where are the fresh fruit and fresh vegetables (they are usually tinned vegetables). The Senior Carer said fruit is available for breakfast and supper but I have never seen it nor has my husband been offered any. I had previously asked for any fruit to be specifically offered to him if it was available. If he refused, then so be it but if offered I was sure he would eat it.

My points were noted. The meeting ended at 5.30pm on Monday.

On Tuesday morning, I arrived at 9.10am as usual and spoke to the manager about points in the meeting. As I left her office, the breakfast trolly was being taken around. On top of the trolley there was a massive fresh fruit platter containing water melon, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc. with yoghurts, bananas, crumpets and cheese scones (made by the residents the previous day). A full English breakfast was available but the fruit stood out and the full English was inside the trolly. My husband had a banana, fruit and yoghurt and asked for more.

Lunch was a choice of salmon or ham salad (it was very welcome as it was a hot day). Dessert was fruit salad with yoghurt or bananas and custard.

I didn't see the supper trolly.

Even the carers were amazed and said they had been asking for this for months. The manager has been in the job one week and I say well done to her.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@Rishile Well done, the previous offerings don’t sound at all healthy or nutritious. Hopefully they keep this up.
I have been following your other thread and have just felt so sad and angry for what you have had to endure.