A little worried about hubby

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
For some time now my hubby has seemed to forget the last item in a sequence of events or actions. He's always had a poor memory, losing keys etc, but lately he will go to the toilet and forget to flush it, has left the tap running, leaves drawers open, will forget to lock the back door at night and recently he has gone out and left the front door wide open. Fortunately I was here and realised when I felt the draught but I'm afraid of what might happen if I'm not here and he does it.

Does anyone else recognise this 'last thing in the series' behaviour? Am I being too concerned?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have you talked to your husband about your concerns? If he's willing to go to the GP you could go with him. If there is something wrong then an early diagnosis could mean getting medication as soon as possible. If there's nothing wrong then no harm done. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That is worrying Maggie.
I`d start making notes so you know the frequency of these lapses. :(

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Good advice from both of you, Izzy and Sylvia.

Have started a diary. I have talked to him about it and he's not concerned. Like most men he probably wouldn't go without being nagged so for the time being I'll just keep a diary.

Thanks, both.

xLaurenCee

Apr 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Good advice from both of you, Izzy and Sylvia.

Have started a diary. I have talked to him about it and he's not concerned. Like most men he probably wouldn't go without being nagged so for the time being I'll just keep a diary.

Thanks, both.

Hiya, it seems to me that your Husband is starting to get the early stages of Dementia, it makes me think this because I work in a Care Home myself, and see thing's happen like this day to day, and yes, it is concerning, upsetting, stressful.. My advice to you, is take him to the Doctor, because early stages of Dementia can be cured. Don't give up. Best wishes..

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Lauren, I think it is great that you have come on to TP and so obviously want to help people who are going through the agony of caring for loved ones with dementia but I am wondering if you have yet received any training about Dementia. I ask this because both here and on another thread about Safeguarding (Thomask), from what you have writtten you do seem to have a rather mistaken view about it.

It is true that mental confusion can be caused by other things apart from dementia, e'g. underactive thyroid, lack of vitamin B12 and depression, which can be treated successfully but dementia itself cannot be cured though it can be helped and it's progress delayed by certain drugs in some cases. Also, your description of Alzheimers disease as just a later stage of dementia is not at all accurate. It is a disease in itself which causes dementia.

As you so obviously have a special interest in this area - and well done to you for taking on the task of caring, and at such a young age - perhaps you might liike to read some of the literature on the Alzheimer's website http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheets
I send you every best wish for your work as a carer. I am sure that many others here will applaud you desire to help others, both sufferers and their relatives, as you have done here.

Last edited:

lilypad

Aug 19, 2012
NEWPORT gWENT
My husband does all of these things too

I know it is not much consolation but my husband does all of the things you mention plus leaves the lights on, freezer door open and sees men working in the garden who do not exist. He even prepared two cups with tea bags, ready for them before going out to ask them if they took milk or sugar. Then he came in and said they had got into their van. He still sees them every day and now says he is going to ask the neighbours if they have hired them. I am trying to steer him away from this as I think that puts us in a vulnerable position. I went to see the g.p. on Friday with a printed list of all the strange thigs he does. She said she was going to send it (via the internet) to the memory clinic doctor. We wait to see what results. He is taking Parkinson disease medication plus Rivastigmine. I believe he has Parkinsons with LEWY BODY dementia.In company he is lucid and sensible but on his own he lapses into a paralell world it seems. Good luck

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Does anyone else recognise this 'last thing in the series' behaviour? Am I being too concerned?
Oh yes yes yes. with my Dad (it was mum who had dementia)
Some time back I noticed dad doing all those things and more
to cut a long story short
I eventually got Dad to gp
gp asked dad one question n dad got it wrong.

I asked gp to do a bloodtest for things that could cause memory problems
a week or two later we found out that Dad was very low in Folic Acid
dad was put on a a course of Folic Acid, in a few weeks I noticed an improvement in Dad :) , he is now on a maintenance dose.

So please when you are successful on getting your hubby to the gp( it took me months and months) , please ask for a bloodtest to check for things that can cause memory probs

I really hope its something like that
It also could be stress or depression

Just a thought, would your husband go to gp for say , a well man check ?

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Know how you feel

For some time now my hubby has seemed to forget the last item in a sequence of events or actions. He's always had a poor memory, losing keys etc, but lately he will go to the toilet and forget to flush it, has left the tap running, leaves drawers open, will forget to lock the back door at night and recently he has gone out and left the front door wide open. Fortunately I was here and realised when I felt the draught but I'm afraid of what might happen if I'm not here and he does it.

Having similar issues with my OH but because he is aware of the way dementia affects everyone he is burying his head in the sand.
I am taking one day at a time and looking for 'opportune moments' to discuss things. Just wish he would visit his GP as his fears could be groundless.
I have checked his medication and some of the side effects are similar to those attributed to symptoms of dementia.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Wow, thank you. He might just go if there are other things which could cause memory problems. Folic acid is in greens etc and he does love his greens, we have an allotment, but this time of year we could all be low in that. Last year's harvest was poor, too.

I'll get some more veggies and see if that helps while I'm keeping the diary.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Thanks so much for all the input. It helps put it into perspective, while keeping a wary eye. ;)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Wow, thank you. He might just go if there are other things which could cause memory problems

Just to say that this is how I got my husband to the GP. My daughter suggested the lack of B12 because she was very aware of it as she has Crohn's disease which prevents any B12 being absorbed by the intestines - she has to have injections. My husband agreed to see the GP on this pretext and of course, a blood test revealed his level as fine but at least it got him there.

Last edited:

Merylrose

Apr 30, 2013
snap!

My husband has started to do all those things. At the weekend he came into the house after me and left the front door open all night.
I think the diary idea is a good one- I shall start noting things down.
He has been forgetful for a while but this has accelerated since he had a heart attack in January. I don't know if this is due to his illness and he will recover mentally once he is physically better, or if this is going to be long term. He is very aware of these problems but the doctor told him not to worry. I was hoping for a better response.
We are having a couple of short holidays in the next couple of months. If he continues to struggle with remembering I shall go with him to the doctor armed with notes and see what can be done.
This is my first day on the forum and I already feel less alone with my fears.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Welcome, Merylrose,

Yes, I'm still keeping the diary. The latest was when mine turned the grill on instead of the oven and then came to meet me from the train. Fortunately, nothing held us up but I dread to think what could have happened had we not got home within 15 mins or so. :eek:

I'm also planning to get him some rest soon. We are both stressed looking after elderly and sick relatives and friends so maybe some space to sort out our priorities will help.

You're never alone on here. Do keep coming back. The advice is wonderful.

All the best,

Maggie

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Maybe try giving him Berocca? It makes a huge difference to my gran.

Thanks for that. I've had a look on the internet at this and it does look interesting. Hubby does eat a really healthy diet, though so I'd be surprised if a supplement helped him. Now me, I'm not such a healthy eater so it should be me with the memory problems really! :)

The last couple of months he's been quite a bit better. I think he's more relaxed now that he's on his allotment more and getting out in the garden in the fresh air and sunshine.

But I'm still keeping that diary...................;)

Anyone 7

Nov 9, 2012
I'm glad I found this thread, my OH who has always been scatty, untidy and forgetful has caused me to have niggling worries over the last year or so and I had already started to write a few things down that concerned me.

Don't know if I am being hyper-vigilant because when my mother was diagnosed with Lewy-Bodie syndrome it became clear that we had all had our heads in the sand and were in some kind of denial for some time and I wouldn't let that happen again.

I wish I had known about this forum when caring for her.