A little idea for TP

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
A few times when I've read people's posts or comments on threads I've often wished there was a "like" button or something similar. Like they have on Facebook for comments you agree with or want to show support for without having to make a comment. Just to show support or share your likemindedness!

I'm not trying to turn the forum into Facebook. I just look sometimes how many people have read a post but didn't have any advice, etc to add. They might just want to click a button to show their support.

Just a thought. People might hate the idea though!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Interesting thought but I wonder if, in some of the more distressing posts, people might interpret it wrongly? I know that sometimes people post on FB that they need a Dislike button! Maybe a support or read button..

I find myself often wondering what gender people are... always seems a tad odd not to have that as it is on most forums.

But not complaining - this is a fantastic resource as we all know.

Celia
x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Yes me too Saffie. Sometimes if it's an anecdote or I don't have experience of the situation I don't like to read and run. Maybe that's just my soppiness though!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Yes Celia, like a "support" button or a "hug" button even. I just used the Facebook thing as an example. This forum is nothing like Facebook in the respect that most people have serious issues. It wouldn't make it lighthearted. Just kind of saying "I agree" or "I've nothing to add but I'm here for you". Do you know what I mean?

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
We may have serious issues, Anongirl, but we do appreciate some lightheartedness to help us cope with these - as can be seen on threads in the Tea room! However, a button is not as much lighthearted as impersonal and I'd hate for TP to become less personal. For some, it can be the only human contact all day at times! For others it can be a place of relief and release.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
No I don't mean to remove the personal touch at all. I wouldn't want that.

For example under where it says how many people have replied to your post you could have something that shows 100 people read the post and 50 people clicked to say they wanted to show support or give a hug. They may not want to necessarily reply but show their support a different way. Rather than just show that 150 people simply viewed it.

During the thread discussion you might just want to click underneath someone's comment to show you agree with them or like what they have said (if it more of a lighthearted comment).

It certainly wouldn't replace the personal touch, just simply enhance it.

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
I would definitely use such a button! There are loads of times I would have liked to express support but without having anything much to add or say.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I "like" your suggestion Anongirl. Some posts definitely call for an personal response and I don't think that would ever disappear. But other posts are looking for more practical advise and if someone has already posted what I am thinking I'm not likely to post a "me too" type response, but I would click a like button to show my agreement with the suggestion.

Saffi, I guess it is all in one's perspective. I find a like button makes a site more personal; you get more interaction and you begin to include those who, for whatever reasons, are reluctant or unable to post written responses.

Last edited:

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Exactly KingB and Rjm. It wouldn't always be appropriate but there are times it would come in handy.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I have seen on facebook "I have to go to the dentist with awful toothache " and then about 10 people like it ????????:confused::confused:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I like this idea - and it would be handy not to have had to type it out.
But isn't that the point of the forum - to lend support? If one can't be bothered to write 10 words, then it doesn't sound very supportive to me! If one agrees surely it's better to say why and certainly, if you disagree, then just to say so with no reason is a bit pointless. Still, everyone is different I guess!

daddykins

Jul 14, 2012
Portland, Dorset
I must admit that I like this idea. I have read many threads and in the majority of cases agree with what has already been said, so have not bothered to add my
'two pennyworth' as already in total agreement.
An 'I agree with this' button, with perhaps your name, I think would be very useful.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I simply see it as offering choice. I can think of occasions when it would have been useful. After all, those who didn't like it wouldn't be obliged to use it.

Anyway, anongirl, whether or not it's implemented in the future, it's always great to see some fresh ideas being put forward.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I think this is a good idea, many days I can read but because of symptoms am unable to post, to formulate response or type, but I do still understand and it is a 'dementia' site where means of communication are affected by the condition this would help people still feel they can take part.

Anne&C

Jan 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
I also think such a button would add something positive to the site. The other forum I regularly use where there is something similar is the moneysavingexpert forum where it is a "thanks" button. I think a "hugs" button would be good here.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Jeany123, Don't get me started about Facebook statuses! I guess it's a similar thing though, people clicking like to show support. I think the like button there though is inappropriate because it sounds like you like the fact they have toothache! :D on here it would have to be an agree button or a support button.

A perfect example is Daddykins comment above. I agree with him but don't need to add anything but I want him to know I agree so a click of a button would suffice!

Chemmy, I don't know whether it would be added in the future because the software wouldn't support it just yet. I like hearing people's opinions though, thats one of the things which is so great about this forum, everyone has a different perspective. It makes things interesting! ;) x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
SueJ that is a very interesting point actually. Perhaps there is something in this idea after all. Who knew I had it in me! :) x

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
This very thread is an example of where I would not normally reply but

I WOULD HIT THE LIKE BUTTON to support your idea

So if this thread actually had a like button, I would have hit the like button and not replied.

So if I may ADD to your suggestion, when posting, would it be possible for the poster to choose whether to include a like button or not in a similar way that we add photos ?

Great idea