A daily activity

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I have been meaning to share this with you all for a while now but I kept forgetting. One of Alan's daily activities is to cut up bread for the birds. It is something he is able to do, something he feels good about doing and some routine. I think it fits into the understanding that there are many things that Alan can't now do but some things are replaced by other things that he can still do. I've just captured a couple of pictures for you:)
Bread for birds 6.12.09.jpg

cutting bread for birds 09.jpg

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Great photos Helen and it's also great for Alan that he can still do things like this. Izzy x

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Helen that is absolutely wonderful. It looks like he is really concentrating, and look at the pieces they look to be very exact. How lovely that you encourage all the positive sides, that is what it is all about. I am so thrilled you shared this with everybody. My mother used to fold my washing off the line, she loved the smell and felt very useful. She could also fold the plastic bags I keep for my husbands pads sometimes she would take an hour to do one,as she insisted there could not be ANy creases, but it kept her occupied. If there are other small things that Alan still does please do share, it is inspiration like that we are all looking for, I now so wish I had thought about bread for the birds with my Mum, she would have loved that as she always used to do it prior to becoming really ill.I now give them just the seeds as my husband cannot eat bread and I only eat sliced ryebread. Best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen I too am thrilled with the photos. The strips of bread [soldiers] are so perfect. It`s wonderful to see Alan can still be so precise and take such care. xx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Wonderful pics

Hiya Helen, so nice toi see Alan doing something he likes doing, i think its so important, as is a roitine, thanks for sharing, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxx

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
I also love looking at these photos of Alan and that he is so proud to be doing something usefull and nurturing how i wish i had taken photos of Trev earlier on, i did take and have just been searching for one was when he held a gate open for another walker and they thanked him, he said how good that felt, expect Alan gets similar sensce of achievment bless you for encouraging him and letting us share these with you love pam, also love being able to nosey at your kitchen, looks like some serious cooking takes place in there,

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
our poor birds get huge chunks of bread and pizza crust chucked out for them, I'm sure Alan would be horrified at the size. It's lovely to see a picture of him.

My mum likes to do the horses on a Saturday, she chooses what horses she wants and I put 50p each way on them (much easier on the internet). They often come in second or third - she gets joy from winning a £1 or two.

janlyn

Oct 19, 2009
gloucester
hi helen,
i have just poped on to tp while i had chance and i had to tell you how much i loved seeing alans photo,
love jan :)

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Helen
thanks so much for sharing the lovely photos of Alan - he really is doing a great job, I'm sure the birds appreciate all the small pieces.

It's a good idea and I will try Mum on that chore tomorrow!

Pauline
x