A bit of my story

vwms

Jan 26, 2024
So pleased to find this forum and know the daily rollercoaster of emotions are the norm. A bit of my story, my spouse of 42 years was officially diagnosed over 2 years ago with moderate vascular dementia. He is 8 years my senior, and we both retired 3 years ago. Thankful to have relocated closer to our son, but left behind friends, family, church, and activities, a big adjustment in itself, then the weight of the diagnoses and the grief that follows. The todos of our life have always been very heavily weighted on my shoulders with our relationship, and I've jokingly said he's prepared me for this our whole lives, but nothing can prepare you for this! I read on one of the threads that it feels like living apart together. One silver lining this past year has been the birth and daily care of our only grandchild. She provides so much joy and hope for me and I believe keeps him more present. So many circumstances limit the time to network with new people now. Thankful to have found you.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @vwms and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your spouse's diagnosis and can understand just what you mean by a roller coaster of emotions. It is good that you have moved closer to your son and that you have the joy of a new grandchild. But yes, caring can be lonely but you will always find support and empathy here on the forum.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too @vwms.

I’m sorry to read about your situation. It’s so hard but what a joy to have your new grandchild.

You’ve found the right place to come to for understanding and support.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, vwms it is what it is...about finding solutions, sorry I've no idea as what I can say that can help, just well done you just for being there for them.
K

vwms

Jan 26, 2024
Thank you for the welcome and show of support. I deeply appreciated your ears and empathy.