A bit of luck, comparitively speaking

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
My father is fortunate that he has enough money to fund a purpose built annexe on the side of our house but it's still costing a huge amount and with his care bills soaring, it's going to run out sooner rather than later. We have been researching beds for him and I found one second hand on Facebook that wasn't too far away. It had a price of £0 so I presumed he'd be open to offers but turns out he wanted it gone so picked up a fully working bariatric bed this morning! The list price is £2,000 new

I fear that unless his mobility magically improves, he'll have to be carried down the stairs when the day comes for him to move in as to see him outside of his room is an increasingly rare event (and something the carers are reluctant to try when we're not here to help)

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Hi @spandit ,
Hope you can cope with your dad's increasing needs not only from the financial point of view.
I wish you strength and patience
It's been a real struggle. We're sort of used to it, now, and he generally just stays in his room but I do get frustrated as my workshop is 100m from the house and I have so many projects I want to work on but can't go up there unless there is someone in the house to listen out for him. It's also annoying having builders here 5 days a week, although they're doing a beautiful job on his annexe.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
It will be great when it’s done @spandit, and people are often carried downstairs by ambulance crews so someone must know how to do that. It is a worry not being able to leave the house, Mum had that worry with dad when he was alive and he didn’t even have dementia, but would overdo it then faint and fall. I’ve spent the last year separated by an ocean and CoVID, visualise mum lying at the bottom of the basement steps, alone. Neither of these things came true luckily.

Could you install a baby alarm and or camera so you could leave dad for a while? Might be handy to have anyway.

We are planning getting work done on our house for my mum. we are in the process of buying a house, partly rushed because of me having to bring mum to live with us, thankfully DH is agreeable (let’s see again when he’s been woken up by her loud radio at 5.45 every morning!) . He and our 2 girls (mostly out of or about to leave home I hope for uni) have been happily looking at lovely bathroom designs, while I point out all the utilitarian grab bars and shower seats that will be spoiling it! No way can she climb into a bath so it needs a walk in shower. It’s nice thorough to have something constructive to worry like what colour bathroom, about instead of the ultimate reality which is dreadful doom, followed by certain death, for all of us, being philosophical about it.

Cavegirl12

May 12, 2021
My father is fortunate that he has enough money to fund a purpose built annexe on the side of our house but it's still costing a huge amount and with his care bills soaring, it's going to run out sooner rather than later. We have been researching beds for him and I found one second hand on Facebook that wasn't too far away. It had a price of £0 so I presumed he'd be open to offers but turns out he wanted it gone so picked up a fully working bariatric bed this morning! The list price is £2,000 new

I fear that unless his mobility magically improves, he'll have to be carried down the stairs when the day comes for him to move in as to see him outside of his room is an increasingly rare event (and something the carers are reluctant to try when we're not here to help)
I’m new on here and look after my mom. She is in Stage 7. I have converted the garage into an office so I can work and be at home. This left me with the dilemma that I couldn’t see her in the house. She is unstable and falls a lot. I have bought a ring door bell that covers the outside front and down to the garage and alerts me if she goes wandering. I have also place a ring camera in the lounge which also covers the kitchen and hall way. It notifies me when she moves. I do feel better knowing that I can see her and it also allows me to talk to her.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Cavegirl12
a warm welcome to DTP
now you've joined this supportive community, I hope you'll keep posting as it helps to share with folk who understand

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Could you install a baby alarm and or camera so you could leave dad for a while? Might be handy to have anyway.

No way can she climb into a bath so it needs a walk in shower.
We have a camera in his bedroom so we can see if he's on the floor (we do have a bed alarm but after so many false alerts when he rolled off it, we've switched it off for now - might be better with his new bed as it's narrower.

Was showing my errant sister the annexe progress via Skype yesterday - showed her where the shower is going and she said "Oh? Are you not putting a bath in?". Sadly the connection failed before I could enlighten her to the fact that he can barely walk and there is no way of getting him in and out of a bath without a hoist. First time she's spoken with him in 6 weeks (and still managed to be typing/sending e-mails whilst ignoring him - can you tell I'm frustrated?)