75 Year old Mom with Dementia - This is so hurtful seeing her deteriorate

lashanamarie

Feb 27, 2024
Hi Everyone..

My mom has been diagnosed and I am seeing the decline. She is currently in a skilled nursing facility. Has anyone experienced severe weight loss in their respective person? If so how much and how rapid? I have also noticed that she from time to time will harm herself, including punching herself in the stomach and head causing bruising. Is this normal? What can I do to help prevent?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my goodness @lashanamarie that sounds so upsetting. Weight loss is common in the later stages of dementia, but not usually self harming. Im wondering whether she has extreme anxiety as anxiety is common in dementia as they lose understanding.
I would speak to her doctor to see whether anti-anxiety medication may help.

lashanamarie

Feb 27, 2024
I wonder whether the self-harm is a way of indicating that she has a tummy ache or a headache?
I was wondering that as well. She will not allow the doctors to draw her blood.. and they don’t want to forcibly take it. I will have to talk to the doctors to see how we can get her checked out. If something is wrong, maybe there are options.

lashanamarie

Feb 27, 2024
Oh my goodness @lashanamarie that sounds so upsetting. Weight loss is common in the later stages of dementia, but not usually self harming. Im wondering whether she has extreme anxiety as anxiety is common in dementia as they lose understanding.
I would speak to her doctor to see whether anti-anxiety medication may help.
What causes the weight loss? Because honestly, she eats. But they said she does eat when she want.

Paul N

Jan 3, 2023
Hi Everyone..

My mom has been diagnosed and I am seeing the decline. She is currently in a skilled nursing facility. Has anyone experienced severe weight loss in their respective person? If so how much and how rapid? I have also noticed that she from time to time will harm herself, including punching herself in the stomach and head causing bruising. Is this normal? What can I do to help prevent?
Hi mum has recently moved to a care home after our care company said they couldn't garuntee her safety at home she is entering late stage now ( first diagnosed 6+ years) she has lost 5kg in three weeks & has lost interest in eating this has been slowly declining over the past year ( she is 89) what a painful & deeply upsetting end of life for all family. Loss of appetite is a symptom of late stage. After three falls & hospital (partial hip replacement then bone chip followed by internal bleed, transfusions, infection I think she has gone through enough & I am thinking if I can refuse treatments Isy consider because I don't think she has any quality of life. Sorry I digress! I feel for you it's the most dreadful illness look after yourself.Paul.

Last edited: