2018 and this still happens

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Imagine this.....

You visit a local cafe/ farm, you have been there many times before and you know the disabled toilets are on the same level of the cafe but the usual ones are down a flight of stairs. A sign says "Ask the staff for a key"
You do, and they say the toilets are downstairs, you explain very quickly that its the disabled Toilet key you need and then it happens ......

What Happens?? THIS....................

That moment's hesitation by a staff member (who by the looks of her jacket Was in charge) when they look at you as if deciding themselves IF YOU LOOK disabled OR not !!

The moment passes and they THANKFULLY give you the key, but it doesn't matter, its happened, and it spoils the time you are there whilst you're having a coffee. You then find out its not you being paranoid as when you mention it to your wife she felt the same and said " I was just WAITING FOR IT!! GOOD JOB she changed her mind in that split second or I would have let her know exactly WHAT I THOUGHT !!
sound familiar ???

SADLY IT SHOULD`NT IN 2018

Norrms xxxxxxxxxxxx

happened today 2.34pm 26th June 2018

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Yes, it is very familiar.
Both for my Mum, who when she was up and about didn't "look disabled" whatever that means, and for me when I am parking as I also have a disability and a blue badge and the looks I get because I am not in a wheelchair. Not all disabilities are visible. We shouldn't have to justify ourselves. When these small things happen regularly it really is depressing. Sometimes getting your own RADAR key can solve this for some toilets. Sadly they have to lock them as people frequently trash these kind of facilities - happened several times at my local swimming pool. A different kind of angst there....

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Imagine this.....

You visit a local cafe/ farm, you have been there many times before and you know the disabled toilets are on the same level of the cafe but the usual ones are down a flight of stairs. A sign says "Ask the staff for a key"
You do, and they say the toilets are downstairs, you explain very quickly that its the disabled Toilet key you need and then it happens ......

What Happens?? THIS....................

That moment's hesitation by a staff member (who by the looks of her jacket Was in charge) when they look at you as if deciding themselves IF YOU LOOK disabled OR not !!

The moment passes and they THANKFULLY give you the key, but it doesn't matter, its happened, and it spoils the time you are there whilst you're having a coffee. You then find out its not you being paranoid as when you mention it to your wife she felt the same and said " I was just WAITING FOR IT!! GOOD JOB she changed her mind in that split second or I would have let her know exactly WHAT I THOUGHT !!
sound familiar ???

SADLY IT SHOULD`NT IN 2018

Norrms xxxxxxxxxxxx

happened today 2.34pm 26th June 2018

This reminds me of two occasions with my MIL when her disability was questioned. She has a blue badge because of her poor mobility. I remember one occasion she was a passenger in my car when we parked outside our local supermarket in a disabled bay. Blue badge displayed , she got out and limped into the store leaving me in the car. After about 10 minutes she hadn't reappeared so I got out of the car and decided to go in and see if she was ok. She had no dementia at this time so it was more a case of helping with the carrying. On my way in I was stopped by the store manager who had obviously seen me on my own about the validity of the badge. I explained the situation saw MIL was coming out and pointed her out to him. I suggested he put more energy into following up those parking without the badge.

The second one was more recent. On one of the rare occasions when MIL came out I took her to a local cafe where they provided hot food from 12 noon. She gets agitated in groups but appeared to be ok on this day. She also had her walking stick with her. We got to the head of the queue at 1158am . I ordered two jacket potatoes. The staff member looked at her watch and said I can't take an order before 12. I suggested she take the order and put it to one side until 1205 and we'll wait. It was then she said I would have to wait and perhaps join the end of the queue whilst she finished the cold food orders. MIL started to raise her voice and begin to get angry about the wait. I said I'm not doing what the staff wanted as my MIL has dementia and she may upset others. At which point the staff's mouth dropped open. For a moment she looked like she was going to say something along the lines of "well she looks ok..." but didn't. She studied MIL then me then MIL again and I was daring her to say we couldn't have the order. Strangely we got the potatoes.

mumsgone

Dec 23, 2015
It shouldn't matter if someone looks or doesn't look disabled everybody should be treated with courtesy and respect. The problem is everyone has to be categorized and labeled these days as if you don't fit in anywhere if you don't ! We are all human all came into the world the same way and will all go out the same way. You wouldn't ask to use disabled facilities if you didn't need to and what difference does 2 mins make when ordering food!!!! My uncle many years ago was accosted by a woman for parking in a disabled spot when he wasn't disabled. When he rolled up his trouser leg and showed her his artificial leg her face was a picture !! xx

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Yes, much more respect and courtesy needed here. People need to be educated so much more than they are Glad you were given the key! x