200 miles extra per week to take Mum to day care, one to one, social services costs

jimbosmith

May 10, 2013
Hi all,

My Mum's admin is almost as stressful as looking after her.

In my county there are 4 day care centres who have batted my Mum away as she is too energetic and needs one to one care. Shes been through them all in the last 6 months.

There is one place in my county that offers this service and it's a 40 mile round trip, twice a day. 5 days a week makes 200 miles a week. It will also take 2 hrs out of my day.

We have a shambles of a car. It's worth £800 if we found someone gullible :eek:

If I was to do this and purchased a car on lease, could we offset the cost that we pay to social services which currently comes in at around £250 pcm.

I wouldn't be buying a Ferrari but a basic Astra or Golf, maybe a fuel efficient one. This would be around £200 a month.

I did make a post about moving closer to the home and cost implications of that a few weeks ago. That remains an option but would be hard on my dad, who is really too old to be dealing with stress.

I have enquired about transport with SS providing and it was met on deaf ears.

If anyone can give me some advice or experience that would be great. Does anyone have a leased car and its cost is offset against the social cost.

If any fairies with magic wands, or maybe santa, could make this problem go away then please tell me how.

Thanks
Jimbo