20% of Americans provide care for an adult

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you.
Was I so different? My experience was not full of love and smiles. I went through hell of anger, destruction, virtual imprisonment. Incontinence, danage to house.
Am I the only one?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you.
Was I so different? My experience was not full of love and smiles. I went through hell of anger, destruction, virtual imprisonment. Incontinence, danage to house.
Am I the only one?
No you are not the only one @kindred You only have to read some of the posts on here to realise that. And the experience must leave its mark on the carer.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you so much sea swallow, these kind of soft focus articles make me wonder how the hell did it all go so wrong for us? Could I have been kinder etc.l
Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
these kind of soft focus articles make me wonder how the hell did it all go so wrong for us? Could I have been kinder etc.
No It was not your fault.
There are some people whose dementia remains easy to care for and they can remain at home until the end, but it is not not the majority of peoples experience. IMO dementia is one of the most challenging diseases to care for and, honestly, I dont think articles like this help - it just makes those of us who are struggling/have struggled feel guilty and inadequate

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
There are some people whose dementia remains easy to care for and they can remain at home until the end, but it is not not the majority of peoples experience. IMO dementia is one of the most challenging diseases to care for and, honestly, I dont think articles like this help - it just makes those of us who are struggling/have struggled feel guilty and inadequate
Well said @canary

AlzWife

Nov 19, 2023
I totally agree, Canary & others. Taking into account how destructive this disease is on the family and how many people are carers, it seems like there should be much more robust programs of support…regardless of income. It’s almost a conspiracy to keep us shut up when they list such articles in the media! I’m sure people with profoundly disabled children (and the like) feel similarly when they see that hero mom story in the news!

I was surprised at how flippantly this article treats the situation. I can see the benefit of digging in and thinking positively but I can only imagine having the same attitude as this wife has under privileged circumstances, such as having the means for constant help & respite and a quick progression of the disease.