150 sleeps since he sailed away

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I've been in a big old dark nasty pit but I want to shine again for both of us.
Booked a charity collection for mid-June.
Tomorrow I shall go buy some of those laundry / zip top / storage bags and start clearing the wardrobes etc. It won't be easy but I know I can do it. Wish me well, eh?

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I do wish you well. Even though you have all the bags and the prep, when it comes to it - it’s ok to change your mind If you realise you are not ready. Be kind to yourself.
Do you have a chum to help ?

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I do wish you well. Even though you have all the bags and the prep, when it comes to it - it’s ok to change your mind If you realise you are not ready. Be kind to yourself.
Do you have a chum to help ?
No, @SherwoodSue . No 'chums' or family. I do this alone. Only I can make these decisions.
Much of my own 'stuff' will be discarded. A new life is ahead. Of my own making, one way or another.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
good luck with the clearing. only you can choose which you would like to keep. i would take regular breaks as well just to give yourself time in between.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
It’s taken me almost 2 years to do Dads clothes 🙈🙈 each time i looked at them I felt able to ‘release’ a few more. I’ve kept a drawer for nostalgia and I’ve adopted his socks and wear them myself.
there‘s no rules - go at your pace.
what is awaiting for you in the future? Do u have some ideas?
all the best xx

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Tomorrow I shall go buy some of those laundry / zip top / storage bags and start clearing the wardrobes etc. It won't be easy but I know I can do it. Wish me well, eh?
Oh, @AbbyGee , I do wish you luck. I haven’t done this yet but will do so when I’m ready.

You sound so very positive. Take things easy x

Xhanlbxx

Aug 31, 2019
Thinking of you , remember we are on this journey together xx

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
161 sleeps since sailing away day.
I bought four of the big old zippy top laundry bags today and started to clear my man's wardrobes.
It was hard at first and it hurt. Badly. Deeply. But then the funny memories, thoughts and ideas filtered in and I emptied the bag so I could start again and smile.
I certainly didn't like *all* his garb but he was a bit of a clothes horse and I see now just how 'posh' he was. Maybe a deprived childhood (long story), maybe he just liked quality, maybe just who knows, (He'd spend more on one shirt for an occasion than I would on a frock, shoes, knickers and bag!)
There's lots more to do but I feel I can approach it with a lighter heart now.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That sounds like a bit of a breakthrough. Im glad you found memories to make you smile.
I found the clothes very hard
xxx

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The Banjoman too liked quality clothes but only ever bought them in charity shops. He had a beloved, stinky leather jacket that he loved and wore forever. When he went into the Care home I had the job of emptying his flat and gave umpteen bags and boxes of clothes to the local charity shops but the jacket was too bad to donate to anywhere.. Because he loved it so much I found it hard to just throw it away so it sat in a bag in my porch for several months. After falling and breaking his femur he deteriorated quite quickly and died within eight months of entering residential care, which solved my dilemma of what to do with the jacket - it went to the undertakers and he was cremated wearing the jacket.
Now, three years later, I picture him in my mind’s eye walking down the road wearing that tan leather bomber jacket and I have a little smile to myself.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Now, three years later, I picture him in my mind’s eye walking down the road wearing that tan leather bomber jacket and I have a little smile to myself.
That's a brilliant picture, one to treasure.

I looked at the dress suit (black thing with spiffy white shirt, cumerbund and bat necktie) and wonder how on earth could I ever part with it but I shall. In time. Likewise with the dark charcoal grey overcoat that's only been worn a few times. I always called it his undertaker coat because it was so formal.

I've tried passing the overcoat to some close buddies but they tried it on, and were swamped, and I realised what a 'big' man he'd been at his best. Barrel chested and tall and magnificent and silver long haired like a mad professor and totally enchanting.

I'm so glad the good thought and memories are starting to take over and, although not wiping out the bad times, are coming to the fore again.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
That's a brilliant picture, one to treasure.

I looked at the dress suit (black thing with spiffy white shirt, cumerbund and bat necktie) and wonder how on earth could I ever part with it but I shall. In time. Likewise with the dark charcoal grey overcoat that's only been worn a few times. I always called it his undertaker coat because it was so formal.

I've tried passing the overcoat to some close buddies but they tried it on, and were swamped, and I realised what a 'big' man he'd been at his best. Barrel chested and tall and magnificent and silver long haired like a mad professor and totally enchanting.

I'm so glad the good thought and memories are starting to take over and, although not wiping out the bad times, are coming to the fore again.
He sounds like he was a lovely man.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a lovely photo @AbbyGee. 💕

I remember what it was like when I gave away Bill’s clothes. It’s so hard. It’s almost 7 years now since I did that. I’ve kept his dressing gown and a T shirt of his. The T shirt comes on holiday with me when I go away!