101 emotions now she is dead ...

Davers

Aug 5, 2018
I’m not sure when I realised my Mum had this awful disease because she lived 70 miles away and a) she was ill in other ways; and b) I relied upon my ageing Dad to keep me informed. Eventually we got a diagnosis in Oct 15. I moved my parents next door to me in Aug 16 because my Dad just couldn’t cope and used to cry down the phone on a weekly basis. Initially when they moved she improved but she continued to go downhill. In the early days of them living next door we used to have a ratio of 50/50 “good” days, when Mum would be pretty with it and pleasant. But as time went by the “good” days became less and less and Mum became very aggressive verbally, and occasionally physically towards us all, but particularly towards my Dad and my son (her only grandchild, whom she had previously adored, and whom she then didn’t really recognise now that he was nearly a man, and whom she could only remember as a cute little boy). He has had to suffer her verbal abuse for the last two years when she would, on a daily basis, tell him to “drop dead” and to **** off” - she would never have used this language beforehand. Then there was the wandering around all night, raiding the fridge, leaving all the food out, moving things around, and writing graffiti on the walls! You wouldn’t believe what she used to write ... on the lounge wall in huge permanent marker pen they have “DIE **** ” and it got worse!! And then the double incontinence and taking her nappy off and treading it everywhere! It was this middle to late stage that was the worst. Fortunately in recent months we had her sufficient medicated to calm her and she would sleep for hours and days!

So my poor dear old, but mad Mum died of Alzheimer’s last Thursday night! She had gone into a care home for “end of life care,” but gradually stopped being able to swallow and only lasted 5 days. Although I had previously read up on how this works, and was prepared for the end to be like this, I have to say that it was awful watching her effectively starve to death. I have so many emotions to deal with now, that have taken me by surprise: I truly, and naively thought I would just feel completely relieved, and would take it in my stride! Firstly, I feel guilt: about not being with her when she took her last breath, and that I wasn’t holding her hand. I had been there with her two hours before - why didn’t I stay just those two hours more? Guilt for resenting looking after her, and for being horrible to her at times, shouting at her and not being as compassionate as I should have been. And I feel guilt for wishing her dead at times - what other illness though makes you feel that way about a loved one? I feel guilt for laughing about all her antics and the mad things she said, but what else was I meant to do, I had to find the funny side of it to survive? I feel overwhelming sad about the way she became, and how she lost herself and how I lost her several years ago. I feel relief at not having to change all those dirty smelly nappy things! And so the list goes on and on ...

You must all be reading this thinking what a bitch I have been! Please someone out there tell me that they had the same awful thoughts when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Please someone out there tell me that they had the same awful thoughts when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s!!
I'm sure there are a few saints lurking around here somewhere, but generally all I see is folk like you and me... human beings. Flawed, frustrated, angry, confused, but ultimately compassionate, loving human beings.

Be kind to yourself. Your pre-dementia Mum wouldn't have wanted anything else.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
No no don't let the guilt in. None of us are perfect but this dementia takes everything we give and more and then some more. I am doing my best just like you and I should not feel guilty but I do.

You are not guilty, you moved your parents in next door, that is more than a lot would do. Wishing them away is not a crime it is a perfectly normal feeling. It is a hard, hard task. I wish my dad would go but he won't, he is hanging on to the end I think and it would be so much better if he went now as he has a nasty cancer and the longer he lasts the worse it will be for him and me. I hope he just goes in his sleep one night sooner rather than later.

We can not be there all of the time and you unfortunately missed your mums last moments but you were there while she was alive and that is what counts. Please try to let go of any guilt because we don't deserve it. We just do our best even when it hurts terribly.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
All those things you feel guilty about were natural reactions to the stress of the situation. Nothing you have said is not said on this forum every day.
Give yourself a break, you are still grieving the physical end.
It's not just the pwd that is living with this disease but the family of carers that do their best in the most difficult of times.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have seen it suggested that sometimes our loved ones wait until we leave their side before they let go of life - like a final gift to spare the anguish. Don't beat yourself up.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I’m not sure when I realised my Mum had this awful disease because she lived 70 miles away and a) she was ill in other ways; and b) I relied upon my ageing Dad to keep me informed. Eventually we got a diagnosis in Oct 15. I moved my parents next door to me in Aug 16 because my Dad just couldn’t cope and used to cry down the phone on a weekly basis. Initially when they moved she improved but she continued to go downhill. In the early days of them living next door we used to have a ratio of 50/50 “good” days, when Mum would be pretty with it and pleasant. But as time went by the “good” days became less and less and Mum became very aggressive verbally, and occasionally physically towards us all, but particularly towards my Dad and my son (her only grandchild, whom she had previously adored, and whom she then didn’t really recognise now that he was nearly a man, and whom she could only remember as a cute little boy). He has had to suffer her verbal abuse for the last two years when she would, on a daily basis, tell him to “drop dead” and to **** off” - she would never have used this language beforehand. Then there was the wandering around all night, raiding the fridge, leaving all the food out, moving things around, and writing graffiti on the walls! You wouldn’t believe what she used to write ... on the lounge wall in huge permanent marker pen they have “DIE **** ” and it got worse!! And then the double incontinence and taking her nappy off and treading it everywhere! It was this middle to late stage that was the worst. Fortunately in recent months we had her sufficient medicated to calm her and she would sleep for hours and days!

So my poor dear old, but mad Mum died of Alzheimer’s last Thursday night! She had gone into a care home for “end of life care,” but gradually stopped being able to swallow and only lasted 5 days. Although I had previously read up on how this works, and was prepared for the end to be like this, I have to say that it was awful watching her effectively starve to death. I have so many emotions to deal with now, that have taken me by surprise: I truly, and naively thought I would just feel completely relieved, and would take it in my stride! Firstly, I feel guilt: about not being with her when she took her last breath, and that I wasn’t holding her hand. I had been there with her two hours before - why didn’t I stay just those two hours more? Guilt for resenting looking after her, and for being horrible to her at times, shouting at her and not being as compassionate as I should have been. And I feel guilt for wishing her dead at times - what other illness though makes you feel that way about a loved one? I feel guilt for laughing about all her antics and the mad things she said, but what else was I meant to do, I had to find the funny side of it to survive? I feel overwhelming sad about the way she became, and how she lost herself and how I lost her several years ago. I feel relief at not having to change all those dirty smelly nappy things! And so the list goes on and on ...

You must all be reading this thinking what a bitch I have been! Please someone out there tell me that they had the same awful thoughts when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s!!

babystar

Apr 10, 2013
My Mum passed away recently too and I also feel guilty about not doing more, not seeing her enough, getting frustrated with her when she was wandering off etc. It was only after she went into the care home that the frustration went away, maybe because the responsibility and worry had been taken out of the situation. It sounds as if you did so much for your Mum by keeping her with you, not everyone has that opportunity or strength.

Don't feel bad for laughing about the things she did either - I think that's a coping method many people use. As they say, if you didn't laugh, you'd cry.

And don't think of her starving to death either. This was a worry of ours but our GP assured us that at end of life stage it doesn't last long enough to actually starve to death. Everything shuts down as the body has had enough. I posted a question about this the day before Mum died and someone said she wasn't dying through not eating and drinking, she wasn't eating and drinking because she was dying. If you think of it that way it makes a bit more sense.

Wishing you peace at this difficult time.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
What you are going through is totally normal and acceptable and it is very early days yet. I too thought I would feel relief when mum died but what I actually felt was useless, purposeless and alone and I felt the guilt that I had not done more or in a different way, etc. etc. I still do to a certain extent but it's not six months yet and it is getting better.
You sound as though you did everything (practical and emotional) that you could do - for two parents at the same time, and a family.
It will get better, just give it some time. xx

Davers

Aug 5, 2018
Dear all thank you for taking the time to reply and for sending me such kind reassuring words of comfort.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I do understand how this guilt and regret surfaces - my mother died just before Christmas and I regularly feel bad when I remember little rows we had, or times when I didn't understand about dementia and tried to reason her out of absurd remarks or behaviour.

But that's what being human is about. We can't get it right all the time. What matters is love, and you obviously loved your Mum to bits - the wishes that she'd be out of her misery were part of that love, because you couldn't bear to see how she'd changed and because you knew that her old self would have been appalled.

You did all that you could for your Mum while supporting your Dad and your son. You were a good loving child to her. You must be in a turmoil, but I hope it will become a more settled sadness. I am still in the grieving process six months later, but people say that in time the good memories will surface, and I'm looking forward to that time.

Your mother is at peace now. Wishing you strength and solace. xx

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
A bitch? certainly not, a human being with feelings who tried their very best for both Mum and Dad? yes. I'm sure many people on TP will relate to what you have said, me included, and think "Yes I can relate to that". Try not to feel guilty and take care of yourself

Josiejo

May 21, 2014
Devon
I can't tell you how much this sounds similar to how I feel right now.
We lost our darling Mum in March this year and it hurts so much. The overwhelming grief and guilt that I feel is indescribable.
I felt exactly the same, watching my Mum starve to Death, I wasn't there to hold her hand at the end either.
I get up and carry on every day, because that what we are supposed to do right ? Occasionally people ask how I am and I tell them i'm ok, because to be honest it's easier to cry alone. xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I can't tell you how much this sounds similar to how I feel right now.
We lost our darling Mum in March this year and it hurts so much. The overwhelming grief and guilt that I feel is indescribable.
I felt exactly the same, watching my Mum starve to Death, I wasn't there to hold her hand at the end either.
I get up and carry on every day, because that what we are supposed to do right ? Occasionally people ask how I am and I tell them i'm ok, because to be honest it's easier to cry alone. xx

If it helps...

Don’t see it as starving to death as I’m almost certain she probably didn’t, it just seemed like that

Someone posted here a statement which is something like this...

They are not dying because they are not eating. They are not eating because they are dying.

The body shuts down whilst in the dying process and the first thing that I noticed when mum was dying, was mum stopped wanting to eat, then she rejected fluids.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Same with dad and many others regarding stopping wanting to eat or drink the trying to die process had already started. I had stayed in hospital for a week with dad then a week in his NH...even so and even though I knew death was close I popped away for an hour or so...it wasn't because I didn't want to be with dad during his final moments I did...just that I had something I needed to do...and he passed away. I regret leaving him and probably wouldn't if I had the time again but I don't allow the guilt monster in I don't feel guilty...I had been with dad every step of the way during the previous caring days of 4 years. I think as time goes on...18 months on for me...sometimes more reflective thoughts now than at the time makes us question decisions that we had to take or events of the time but deep down we all know we did the best we could within our individual caring and family circumstances

Josiejo

May 21, 2014
Devon
If it helps...

Don’t see it as starving to death as I’m almost certain she probably didn’t, it just seemed like that

Someone posted here a statement which is something like this...

They are not dying because they are not eating. They are not eating because they are dying.

The body shuts down whilst in the dying process and the first thing that I noticed when mum was dying, was mum stopped wanting to eat, then she rejected fluids.

I do absolutely get that.When the Dr's advised to stop all food and fluids due to the high risk of choking and that being an awful way to go, we as a family agreed. As a result the meds that Mum was on (Rhisperidrone) came out of her system and she became slightly more alert. Her first words to me (and we had not communicated in any recognisable form for at least 2 years)was 'I'm thirsty......I can't tell you how absolutely heartbreaking that was and still is. I looked over to the district nurse and she just shook her head.
I can't change those final days and I wish I had done things differently, but you act in the way you feel right at the time.
My Mum, like so many others, did not deserve this cruel end to her life.
I miss her and my Dad so very much every day....xx

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp