“Thirty minute tooth extraction!”

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I new I had to go to the dentist first thing yesterday morning but what I hadn’t expected was all the problem it was to hold in store getting the tooth out.

We was at the dentist very early 6-30am so fortunately I was the first one to bee seen, then came the dreaded injections in the gums and roof of the mouth which I must confess I do not like, the dentist ‘a lovely lady’ had to give me four injections to get the gums and mouth numb as it was a double back tooth being removed, also the reason for four injections was because of my diabetes as it appears ‘and I didn’t know this’ (that the pre-antibiotics to kill of any infection in the gums and then the actual injection can be less effective because of diabetes medication)

After waiting fifteen minutes for the numbness to set in the dentist proceeded to ‘try’ and pull the tooth out but it seems the tooth didn’t want to move which was strange as it’s been loose in the gum for some time, well she pulled, twisted and tugged at the tooth as I grasped even tighter hold of the arms of the chair and I could see the beads of perspiration on her forehead fro all the exerted effort but the tooth didn’t want to dislodge, she knows that I have mixed dementia and kept asking me if I was OK ‘you not in pain’ which was very understanding of her, anyway she set about the tooth again and then suddenly out it came, she just looked at me and said wow that’s was a big, long tooth! ‘BUT’ it didn’t stop there as she said there’s a tiny piece of tooth still lodged in the gum and it must come out… she dug deep into the gum as her assistant held my head but again there was a problem to get the tiny piece of tooth out, I could hear and feel the instruments grinding on my tooth and pinching at the gum which seemed to go on for ages but finally she managed to get out the tiny slither of tooth which had taken thirty minutes to remove, I turned to look at Sumi but to my astonishment she wasn’t behind me as apparently she was getting so concerned about me and could see that I was getting very anxious during the long extraction that the dentist told her to go and sit in the waiting room. As I got up to leave the sugary the doctor said ‘Sorry Mr Barry that was a long traumatic extraction’ the moment I walked into the waiting room Sumi could see I wasn’t feeling too good but I said don’t worry I will be OK once we get home!

But once we got home I ended up in bed with my head severely spinning, being extremely sick and almost passing out, Sumi phoned the dentist who said it sounds as though I was having an adverse reaction to the injections and to take an aspirin and stay in bed until it passed, anyway thank goodness the tooth is out and despite the jaw aching I slept well last night…

Anyway today is another day and I feel much better so now I’m going to start making my Dundee cake ready for Christmas.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Barry
I don't envy your experience of having that tooth removed ; it sounds awful. I hope you're starting to feel better now.

Jan x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Barry. I'm breaking out in a cold sweat at the thought if it. I hope you're ok now. I can smell that Dundee cake all the way over here in Bonny Dundee!!

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you

Thasnks my dear friends and yes I feel much better now... I can smell my cake Yum, Yum maybe I can't wait untill Christmas!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Oh Barry what an ordeal and well done for coming through it so well and for telling us the tale. But better out than in by the sound of it.

The Dundee cake sounds delicious.