“Computer crashed with my brain”

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
First let me apologize for my long delay in replying to you all which was totally out of my hands, in fact I was replying to a Message on Alzheimer’s Talking Point “BUT” just as I started to type the reply my computer crashed to be alongside my brain and no matter what I tried it would not work again and has been and still is under repair since Sunday 20 Jan, I’ve been told that the hard drive was just too old causing the computer to die on me! Problem is that now “I might” have lost my entire computer data but there’s nothing I can do about it, the lad in the computer shop is trying to retrieve what information he can but I was told not to hold out to much hope so more torment for my confused mind.

Anyway I just couldn’t live without a computer any longer so yesterday I bought myself a T!!!!! i5 laptop which I’m trying to get used to using! OMG, Wow what a difference from my other computer I just hope that my brain can adapt to the totally new system as they say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks (time will tell) and a lot of practice, well at least it will keep my brain active!

To be very honest it absolutely devastated me as I might have lost all my data… all my dementia information and stories, dementia videos, all my poems and the books that I wrote about my illness “All Gone” and maybe never to be seen again… it’s as though something has just wiped out my whole life of every memory that I’ve been trying to retain, I’m sure that only a person that has some type of dementia could understand just how it’s made me feel as it’s like teetering on the edge of life and about to tumble into the abyss of total oblivion…

So my whole world crashed about my feet to be with my brain and I said to Sumi I just don’t know after over 8 years of this terrible illness just how much more I can take of all the different adversities being thrown at me day after day, I just feel like saying “Enough is Enough” as the fight becomes more arduous every day…

“BUT” despite all this I decided that even if they can repair my computer I would buy myself a laptop which I have done… I know I could always use my stepdaughters laptop but that’s in her bedroom which would not help me when I wake from insomnia in the very early hours of every morning and want to sit at the computer to relax, not only that I want a computer to use as and when I want and not to be reliant on other people since using the computer is my way of fighting back at this devastating illness.

The say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks well let’s wait and see if after over 8 years of my mixed dementia journey if I can learn how to use this completely new computer system!
I know it’s not going to be easy but I’ve been utterly lost each day without the computer and communication with friends overseas, it’s been as though my brain has been switched off, so much so Sumi said that I’ve been wondering from room to room in an utter daze not really know what I was doing and getting very irritable, agitated and anxious which has all had a negative effect on my condition and I honestly feel as though I slipped a bit further down the dementia ladder, in fact Sumi has been so worried she had a word with my doctor and asked if she could increase my medications to make me a bit more stable, she said ‘yes’ she could and it could help me for a few more years “BUT” she added that once the brain has reached the pinnacle of benefit from increased medication then there would be no more additional medications that could benefit me at a future stage of the illness which could mean that my condition ‘might’ deteriorate in a sharp decline, it would be a case of (too much too soon) “SO” I decided against increased medication at this stage I will just have to upsurge my fight…

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Hello Barry,
So it didn't take the "old dog" too long to learn how to use the new computer. It took me much longer when I had to get a new machine. As for your lost data, look upon it as an opportunity. You've been liberated from the past, and can start again with a clean sheet.
My best good wishes to you.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sorry to hear about your computer Barry , you seem to be doing well with your new laptop.
I hope the computer man can get all your data back ,I thought they could work miracles :rolleyes:

Best wishes Jeany x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Barry,

I am so sorry to hear about the computer crashing and losing all that data. I hope you realise that there will be quite a lot of things stored on Talking Point and any other site(s) you have been using.

I hope you soon get used to the new laptop and I wish you well.

Love

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Barry buddy hope your Lap Top is working emailed you some important information
hopefully you will find it interesting reading

Cheers Tony

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi Barry

may I suggest you retrieve as much as you can from the places on the net where you've published stuff and buy an external hard drive to backup your laptop hard disk every couple of months, at least you can then hang on to what you have.

If the laptop you've bought has windows 8, good luck, I've had a bit of a fight configuring mine to exclude all the blasted 'apps' that came preinstalled, but got there in the end! (Tip for windows 8 users, to close an app use 'Alt F4', if you just switch apps it keeps them all open in a sleep state but still seems to clobber the CPU)

Best wishes

Hugs

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Barry, how devastating for you! I'd find it hard to lose all the stuff on my computer but for you it must be terrible. I do hope the chap in the shop can retrieve some of it for you at least. It is said that nothing is ever completely deleted from the hard drive, even when some people, for their own reasons, try to eradicate stuff but the police can find it somehow - so it might be possible by an expert. I do hope so.

However, well done for getting to grips with your new laptop - I can't get used to them at all, being used to my desktop version!

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks

Many thanks to you all for the very good information and tips, and thank you Helen as of course you are right all i need to do is to go back over all my previous TP posts and copy and paste "Thank goodness for Talking Point in more ways than one"

God bless you all
Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keeley Jade