£23,000 threshold

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
Has anyone had experience of their LO being in a care home and the money running down and having to apply to local authority for funding? Social services rang me today telling me the opposite of what they said last week which is unbelievable and so confusing. The social worker advised that my mum would be better to stay in hospital while they do paperwork and get funding for care home in place rather than go to care home now, let money run down and then apply for funding as it can take a long time and care home will send invoices to my dad that he wont be able to pay

jzw01

Jun 12, 2021
Not an answer I'm afraid but a related question. How long in advance of money running out should the LA be contacted? How long does it actually take? Lots and lots of people will have gone through this and I'm sure it has been on these forums lots of times before, but I and @jackdog35, and I suspect a lot of others would welcome informaton on this.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think it sounds like the social workers have seen sense. Most care homes expect you to have the ability to pay two or three years years of fees to be self-funding. If your mum’s money would run out in weeks that doesn’t seem a option. On the other hand staying in hospital isn’t a brilliant option either, so maybe see if you can get SS to get their skates on.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
I think it sounds like the social workers have seen sense. Most care homes expect you to have the ability to pay two or three years years of fees to be self-funding. If your mum’s money would run out in weeks that doesn’t seem a option. On the other hand staying in hospital isn’t a brilliant option either, so maybe see if you can get SS to get their skates on.
I just wish they wouldn’t keep changing their advice as we’re going round in circles. Just when you think you know what’s happening, they tell you something different but I will keep on nagging as social worker didn’t seem to think it would take too long to do what she needs to do

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
The general the consensus would be to alert the LA to the funds running out a few months before they actually do. This should give the LA time to agree what they will fund and if there needs to be a family top up to secure the placement that is already in place.
In your case @jackdog35 if I remember correctly there is not enough funds to last a couple of years maybe even less . The LA will prefer not to be trying to pick up the tab for a more expensive home when they can actually get this organised now . The down side is they may not choose a home you like or is near by the upside is your mum will only need to move once and all the business will be sorted.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
The general the consensus would be to alert the LA to the funds running out a few months before they actually do. This should give the LA time to agree what they will fund and if there needs to be a family top up to secure the placement that is already in place.
In your case @jackdog35 if I remember correctly there is not enough funds to last a couple of years maybe even less . The LA will prefer not to be trying to pick up the tab for a more expensive home when they can actually get this organised now . The down side is they may not choose a home you like or is near by the upside is your mum will only need to move once and all the business will be sorted.
She literally would only have about 7 weeks until it dropped to threshold. SS have agreed that the two care homes which have assessed will be ok with LA funding. The social worker said the pending list for people waiting for financial assessments was really long so it was better to get things sorted through hospital and she would just have to stay there until they’ve done their assessment. I’m just hoping the care homes will still have rooms for her

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
At the end of the day, the social worker will be under the cosh from the hospital to free the bed which will hopefully work in your mums favour. I know it’s frustrating but just keep on getting in their face about it.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
At the end of the day, the social worker will be under the cosh from the hospital to free the bed which will hopefully work in your mums favour. I know it’s frustrating but just keep on getting in their face about it.
She’s supposed to be visiting my mum tomorrow and calling me so if I don’t hear I’ll be on the phone nagging and yes the hospital can’t keep her forever!

Jimag

May 2, 2022
Essex
I've not been on the site for a while but on my return following a long period of confusion and miss information from social workers which after having to use forceful and continued pressure to eventually manage to get a care plan in a care home that my wife deserved and needed.
My advice would be to always communicate via emails, and to confirm what social worker says verbally as my experience is that people's memories differ and you'll need proof to keep the pressure on to get a positive result.
I know these are difficult times but don't give up and get support from the CPN at the dementia care clinic who can refocus everyone's attention back to your loved ones best care requirements that sometimes gets lost in financial difficulties.
😍Jim

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
I've not been on the site for a while but on my return following a long period of confusion and miss information from social workers which after having to use forceful and continued pressure to eventually manage to get a care plan in a care home that my wife deserved and needed.
My advice would be to always communicate via emails, and to confirm what social worker says verbally as my experience is that people's memories differ and you'll need proof to keep the pressure on to get a positive result.
I know these are difficult times but don't give up and get support from the CPN at the dementia care clinic who can refocus everyone's attention back to your loved ones best care requirements that sometimes gets lost in financial difficulties.
😍Jim
I haven’t got the social worker’s email but it would certainly be worth trying to get it. What is a cpn? I don’t know anything about a dementia care clinic!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
As per previous posts, I arranged a financial assessment within 2 months of my wife's assets approaching the £23,250 threshold. It was all done within a few days, some 7 weeks before council funding started. I am not sure why there should be a delay. The capital reduction form I completed actually specified applying just 1 month in advance.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
As per previous posts, I arranged a financial assessment within 2 months of my wife's assets approaching the £23,250 threshold. It was all done within a few days, some 7 weeks before council funding started. I am not sure why there should be a delay. The capital reduction form I completed actually specified applying just 1 month in advance.
This is what I can’t understand as this is the advice I had previously been given but the social worker said there was a long pending list and it would be risky to place her in a care home if funding hadn’t been already arranged. She seemed to think it was quicker to do it while she’s in hospital. Last week she was telling me she couldn’t be put in for respite as we had no poa but today she’s changed her mind!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Ask the LA financial section about a financial assessment.

It should be done after a needs assessment which I assume has been made as social worker is talking about placement.