“Frequently Jumpy at the slightest noise”

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I have mentioned about this in some of my other articles about how sudden noises or motion can affect us making us suddenly Jump out of our skin, so I now want to elaborate on this topic which some non sufferers seem to find extremely amusing when they see it happen to us…

I realize this is something that can happen to each and every one of us even if you do not have dementia and a part of normal daily life when you suddenly hear some type of loud noise like a car exhaust pipe backfiring, or if someone drops something on the ground that makes a sudden noise… but people do not realize just how disconcerting that can be on a person that has dementia… and I’m sure that if you were to ask people with our illness what makes them suddenly ‘Jump’ you would have enough information to produce an encyclopaedia…

The repercussion of any type of ‘loud noise’ as in, Music, Loudspeakers, Traffic, Crowds, Children shouting as they play, People all talking at the same time, Motor vehicle horns, In-house music in shops, Fireworks, and even on hearing a young baby cry, the list could go on and on… but in the ears of someone with our illness such noises can cause an adverse affect in our eardrum that reverberates distortions to our brain and cause us a great deal of anxiety, confusion, and disorientation, which is not a pleasant sensation, and when this happens to me I tend to lose all awareness of ‘Time and Place’ or even what I’m doing…

Sometimes when my dear wife and I are out walking and we try to cross the road to the other side but because of the extreme noise from the traffic I immediately have a problem at the curb side with ‘Freezing’ whereby my legs start to jerk up and down as though trying to step forwards, but you go nowhere, as the intense noise only confuses the normal body movement, it also makes us lose our sense of judgment and the distance between the curb and the roadway, (at this point I should point out that zebra crossings are non effective where I live, as vehicles are King of the road)

A few weeks ago when my wife and I were crossing the road we had managed to get to the middle of the roadway where we got stuck with the traffic racing by us in both directions which frightened me so much I started to panic and became extremely agitated not knowing which way to go ‘forward or backward’ I was clinging onto my dear wife so tight as the traffic whizzed by us so close almost touching our bodies and causing sudden blasts of gushing airflow she said, ‘Your hurting my arm’ then on seeing a gap in the traffic she tied to guide me across the road, but as I tried to step forward I again became ‘Frozen on the spot’ shaking in fear… my head was pounding so much from all the noise of the heavy traffic that it was sending vibrations through my mind and body…

Finally we managed to get to the other side of the road whereupon I just sat on the curb holding my head and ears in my hands trying to block out the horrendous noise…

This is now going to sound unbelievable… but as I said even children at play can sometimes cause unfriendly noise that upsets our equilibrium, (but don’t get me wrong as I dearly love children as much as the next person) Yet now when I hear them playing, laughing, and screeching outside our house in garden the noise is like a pneumatic drill in my mind causing a total distraction from what I might be doing and any sense of logical thinking or reality is gone… an instance is that at the moment it’s a special period of every year when the children out here get exceptionally exuberant especially first thing in the morning at around 4am and again in the evening after 7pm, when they go loudly shouting dashing up and down the road letting of fireworks which I once used to enjoy but now the sudden (Whiz, Cracking and thunderous explosions) send unexpected shock waves through my entire body that almost have me reaching for the stars myself! This again can cause me deep anxiety and disorientation...

But the anomaly of this illness is that it’s not just loud noises that cause us great shock to the mind that make us jump, as it can also be triggered by an innocent light tap from behind on the shoulder or someone speaking, maybe by the family or a friend… my dear wife (who God bless her still can’t understand it) is a prime example… I can be sitting engrossed at the computer or watching the TV and have no awareness that she has entered the room until a her tranquil voice almost hits me like a ton of bricks saying something like (What would you like for lunch, or, I’m off to the market) at which point I again almost jump out my skin and jokingly say, (My daring I don’t know what will be the death of me first, the Alzheimer’s, or your, Quiet as a mouse loving care)

Another example was a few days ago when I was sat at the computer typing this book unbeknown to me our niece of 3 years old extremely quietly came into the room and I was so immersed in what I was typing that I did not realize she was standing by my side watching me until her gentle fairy like fingers touched my bare leg (as I was wearing shorts) and a little voice saying (what you doing Uncle) which made me jump so much… that it frightened her and she started to cry… yet besides my almighty shock on this occasion I was still able to laugh and to pick her up for a cuddle (to make it all better with lots of kisses…)

If only all the shocks of this terrible illness could be eradicated with just cuddles and kisses… as I’d be first in the cue…

Barry

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Barry, you describe your feelings so well and I can understand the distress that you feel.
My husband used to jump at the slightest noise or touch. Not just little starts but strong jerks.

Yor reactions are obviously much more but that may be because you are still dealing with the outside world whereas he was cocooned to some extent in a nursing home. No traffic etc. to face which must be so disturbing.

Sudden lound noises are all around us and I have to say that I react in a more jittery way than I used to with heart beating at a frantic rate. To have to face that a million times stronger must be terrifying.

I wish you could find some peace,of mind and body. Take care Barry. xxx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's becoming the same sudden noises produce a big reaction, the downside is when family or friends visit anyone prone to sudden outbursts of laughter or shoutyness (in a nice way) can very quickly make her quite aggressive and it's hard to keep everyone calm specially children. I think it's good Barry that you've sat down and taken the time to think it through some of the insights you give are very valuable.
Thanks K

nini

Sep 15, 2014
Thank you for sharing that Barry, we had wondered why Mum was so jumpy and now we understand a little better.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I am very pleased that this is so helpful as yes for some of us with dementia any sudden noises can be very distressful and YES make us somewhat verbal aggressive, one of the other problems is when there are many people in the room and maybe al talking at the same time then the person with dementia who maybe wants to join in with the conversation just can’t understand all the conversation due to suddenness or interruptions during specking and especially when people talk over each other as it all becomes too confusing for us as the noise is too much for the brain to deal with. :eek::confused:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Barry just read your thread I can relate to some of those things especially the traffic I dropped my van off for MOT a few weeks ago and walked home and was scared to death with the cars obviously there wasn’t and pavements the roads are narrow with the hedges overgrown that doesn’t help so couldn’t keep in close to hedge it certainly scared me its not like walk in Towns with pavements

cheers Tony

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I am jumpy at sudden noises or even when someone speaks when it has been quiet when I am feeling ill, I am so sorry Barry that you have to put up with this all the time I wish I could make it better for you xx

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Thank you Barry, as always such valuable insight.

It has made me think that my mum, who refused to wear her hearing aids, was not being awkward, but actually rather wise, bless her. (Sorry mum for nagging you:()

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi my friends I am pleased that this thread has helped people and I also get jumpy when someone specks and especially if they have come up behind me very quietly, and I can understand what you mean Tony as when Sumi and I go for our walks every day we have to walk in the road as there’s no footpath so he traffic scares the life out of me. Hope you’re feeling better.;) And yes turning off a hearing aid must be a blessing! :D
Best wishes to you all
Barry

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Dear Barry. Have just caught up with your posts after a while away. This one explains why my husband has refused to wear his hearing aids for a long time and hates loud noises. Wish I had known before. He is now in residential care but I notice that he gets very upset when a door bangs when he is in his room, a common occurrence with the hot summer and windows open. Will tell the manager how it feels. It would perhaps benefit her to read some of your posts so they really do understand what their residents are upset by and vice versa. Does anyonre know whether I can print them off?

Sent from my GT-N5110

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Hi Barry,
Thank you for starting this thread to give everyone including myself deep insight into noise impact on those who have dementia. I understood that there are times when C finds noise magnified and is super sensitive to it eg putting plates away I am asked or accused of breaking the plates. However the jumpiness when approaching them I did not comprehend. Indeed the utterance in shock made me jump yesterday as so unexpected. Also happens when I speak or sneeze suddenly. Will take hearing aids out when work needs doing as have put it off as concerned on impact on C. Shame but thank you so much for your clear explanations. All the very best.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hi Barry, thank you too from me for sharing this. For some years now my husband has shown agitation at the slightest noise, e.g. If there is a slight rattle coming from the glove box in the car, he has to stop to find it! And the TV is on a very low volume - not helpful to me as I'm deaf in one ear!! I just don't watch TV much so it doesn't rock the boat....

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thank you for the reply (Truth24) and YES you could print this of all you need to do is to first copy what I have written onto a words document in your own computer, to do that and if you use a mouse just scan and hold the text so that it turns blue then click right and click on (Copy) then go to your new words document and right click on the mouse again where it says (paste) and the text of my document will be copied onto your words document .
Hope this helps

And I’m pleased that this thread has been able to help so many people understand just how fraught we can become for sudden noises

sharonbrown

Oct 20, 2011
Cambridgeshire
Pain and tears

My mum has semantic dementia and is now completely house-bound. I guess there are a few reasons for this including she no longer understands the world so is frightened by everything. But a major reason is her problem with sound. She only sees a few people - our family and regular carers and we all know to keep our voices soft and gentle. Anything louder than this results in what appears to be physical pain accompanied by tears. On one of her last trips outside her home she was at a friend's house who unfortunately dropped a teaspoon onto the stainless steel draining board. Mum was instantly bent double, gripping her stomach, and in floods of tears.

Barry, I sincerely wish you didn't have this problem, but am very grateful to you for sharing it on this forum.

lambretta

Oct 19, 2013
Noise.

I have mentioned about this in some of my other articles about how sudden noises or motion can affect us making us suddenly Jump out of our skin, so I now want to elaborate on this topic which some non sufferers seem to find extremely amusing when they see it happen to us…

I realize this is something that can happen to each and every one of us even if you do not have dementia and a part of normal daily life when you suddenly hear some type of loud noise like a car exhaust pipe backfiring, or if someone drops something on the ground that makes a sudden noise… but people do not realize just how disconcerting that can be on a person that has dementia… and I’m sure that if you were to ask people with our illness what makes them suddenly ‘Jump’ you would have enough information to produce an encyclopaedia…

The repercussion of any type of ‘loud noise’ as in, Music, Loudspeakers, Traffic, Crowds, Children shouting as they play, People all talking at the same time, Motor vehicle horns, In-house music in shops, Fireworks, and even on hearing a young baby cry, the list could go on and on… but in the ears of someone with our illness such noises can cause an adverse affect in our eardrum that reverberates distortions to our brain and cause us a great deal of anxiety, confusion, and disorientation, which is not a pleasant sensation, and when this happens to me I tend to lose all awareness of ‘Time and Place’ or even what I’m doing…

Sometimes when my dear wife and I are out walking and we try to cross the road to the other side but because of the extreme noise from the traffic I immediately have a problem at the curb side with ‘Freezing’ whereby my legs start to jerk up and down as though trying to step forwards, but you go nowhere, as the intense noise only confuses the normal body movement, it also makes us lose our sense of judgment and the distance between the curb and the roadway, (at this point I should point out that zebra crossings are non effective where I live, as vehicles are King of the road)

A few weeks ago when my wife and I were crossing the road we had managed to get to the middle of the roadway where we got stuck with the traffic racing by us in both directions which frightened me so much I started to panic and became extremely agitated not knowing which way to go ‘forward or backward’ I was clinging onto my dear wife so tight as the traffic whizzed by us so close almost touching our bodies and causing sudden blasts of gushing airflow she said, ‘Your hurting my arm’ then on seeing a gap in the traffic she tied to guide me across the road, but as I tried to step forward I again became ‘Frozen on the spot’ shaking in fear… my head was pounding so much from all the noise of the heavy traffic that it was sending vibrations through my mind and body…

Finally we managed to get to the other side of the road whereupon I just sat on the curb holding my head and ears in my hands trying to block out the horrendous noise…

This is now going to sound unbelievable… but as I said even children at play can sometimes cause unfriendly noise that upsets our equilibrium, (but don’t get me wrong as I dearly love children as much as the next person) Yet now when I hear them playing, laughing, and screeching outside our house in garden the noise is like a pneumatic drill in my mind causing a total distraction from what I might be doing and any sense of logical thinking or reality is gone… an instance is that at the moment it’s a special period of every year when the children out here get exceptionally exuberant especially first thing in the morning at around 4am and again in the evening after 7pm, when they go loudly shouting dashing up and down the road letting of fireworks which I once used to enjoy but now the sudden (Whiz, Cracking and thunderous explosions) send unexpected shock waves through my entire body that almost have me reaching for the stars myself! This again can cause me deep anxiety and disorientation...

But the anomaly of this illness is that it’s not just loud noises that cause us great shock to the mind that make us jump, as it can also be triggered by an innocent light tap from behind on the shoulder or someone speaking, maybe by the family or a friend… my dear wife (who God bless her still can’t understand it) is a prime example… I can be sitting engrossed at the computer or watching the TV and have no awareness that she has entered the room until a her tranquil voice almost hits me like a ton of bricks saying something like (What would you like for lunch, or, I’m off to the market) at which point I again almost jump out my skin and jokingly say, (My daring I don’t know what will be the death of me first, the Alzheimer’s, or your, Quiet as a mouse loving care)

Another example was a few days ago when I was sat at the computer typing this book unbeknown to me our niece of 3 years old extremely quietly came into the room and I was so immersed in what I was typing that I did not realize she was standing by my side watching me until her gentle fairy like fingers touched my bare leg (as I was wearing shorts) and a little voice saying (what you doing Uncle) which made me jump so much… that it frightened her and she started to cry… yet besides my almighty shock on this occasion I was still able to laugh and to pick her up for a cuddle (to make it all better with lots of kisses…)

If only all the shocks of this terrible illness could be eradicated with just cuddles and kisses… as I’d be first in the cue…

Barry
Reading your experience on noise has I think answered a situation with my mum recently who became very upset when we were all laughing and talking loudly. I will now make sure that we remain aware of this. Thanks and I wish you well.

justjimjams

Jan 30, 2013
Somerset
Dear dear Barry, how I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you've shared.
My mum, my darling mother, jumps when I try and hug her..even though I do it so gently.
I thought she was trying to push me away - I'd be so very upset. I was hurting so much that she didn't want me near her anymore. Now I understand.

Thank you for that xx
Jax