Told Mum we are going on holiday overseas

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Only 3 weeks ago.
Alzheimers Key worker said to tell her just a few days before hand, but as Mum is still at that aware stage, I didn't feel it was right.

It really has thrown Mum for a loop though, and of course I get the same questions day in and day out. I'm sure Mum is driving Dad crazy.
My sister is taking our parents to her holiday home for half of the time, and my brother hopefully will step up to the plate, and is meant to be at Mum & Dads at nights for the remainder.

Mum is quite anxious about her medications, which I will have all sorted.
I know Mum so well now I can tell when something is wrong, wether shes upset, agitated because of constipation, generally confused about something, or needs reassurance. This is what worries me most.
I feel a bit of a traitor in a way leaving her, but its only for 9 days... ( gulp!)
I hope I can relax and switch off :)

We went away on holiday a year ago, but my Oh how things change in the world of Alzheimers in one year :eek:

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi Linbrusco

It sounds like you have earned a holiday. It's not easy but nine days are not too long and if your sister and brother are sharing the time, she probably won't even be aware of how many days you are away.

Recharge your batteries while you can. :cool:

Pauline
x

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Lin, I feel for you. In a few weeks we are going away for two weeks. Mentioned it to mum but she has forgotten. I will bring it up again about two weeks before.
I am worried that by the time I get back she will have forgotten me. This trip was booked months before my father's death and mums entry into a nursing home.
My husband is really looking forward to it. I am just a tad stressed about how she will go.
In five months of mum being in care I have only missed one day.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday and do get to switch off :)

CareGiver-1

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Do it -- you deserve it. It has been 14 years since my husband and I have had a vacation -- 8 of those years we have been taking care of his mother (now 90), 6 years before that it was taking care of my mother and father. There are no other family members to care for MIL, we have no funds to hire sitters, or to put her in a home. We are stuck until the angels take her. One day it will be our turn. Do it while you can.

Last edited:

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
This holiday wasn't meant to be until next year when our daughter turns 13, our son 18 and starts his next chapter at University or Tech.
But as my husband is in remission from a brain tumour, and who knows what can happen with Mum or Dad we both decided a year away is too long.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
OK today's version. She was so with it and discussing things and was great. Something we haven't had since her accident. She asked about holidays so I told her. Realllly not sure how it will go but she has now been told. Seriously what a difference a day makes. Yesterday one of her really bad days. Today a great day and most people would be unable to realize she has dementia.

CareGiver-1

Aug 21, 2014
USA
This holiday wasn't meant to be until next year ...
Time is just too precious for you and your family. Take your holiday like you planned. You've got to take these moments and cherish them, they are too important. Your mum and dad will be ok.