MIL Forgetting How to Speak English

CareGiver-1

Aug 21, 2014
USA
My MIL is forgetting how to speak English. She was born and raised in France and immigrated to the US in the early 50s. At least twice a week she completely forgets how to speak English and speaks to me in French. I don't know any French and when I speak to her in English she does not understand me. Fortunately, my husband speaks French and intervenes when she switches off English. I dread the day when he is out and she switches to French. She gets very scared and agitated when she cannot understand me and it is difficult to keep her calm. During these times she does not understand any body language when I point at things and use one word sentences, resulting in more aggravation and near panic.

Is anyone else having a problem like this?

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Never heard of that one before CG1 but I suppose there is a certain logic that it's the more recent things seem to leave the memory first and so regressing into her childhood language might be part of that. Frankly that is a significant complication for you but remember from her perspective it's you that's speaking the foreign language. I guess in a family where a lot can speak the second language it is not such a big problem, maybe it does happen but goes unrecorded where it's not an issue.
Sorry I have nothing more helpful to say.
K

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Last edited:

CareGiver-1

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Thanks Kevini and jeany123 or your comments.

jeany123 -- I read your link, it was very helpful.

My MIL is going through a point of not speaking at all because she cannot figure out the word she wants to say and just gives up. I looked up a few internet sources and found that there is a trend for dementia and ALZ patients reverting to their native/mother language -- and then the complete loss of language can follow. She cannot comprehend TV or music, cannot read, write, paint/draw, or play any kind of game. She has never been a big talker, and I'm not either, so it is pretty quiet around here most of the time. :)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sorry to hear that CG1 but never, ever give up and put some music on, try Edith Piaf or Claude François see if that stirs her up.
XXX
K

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
FIL reverted to a language he hadn't spoken for 70 years. Only a nurse in the Hospital and his brother could talk to him.

Perhaps music might calm her.

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
We live in Spain and my husband is losing any ability he had (!) to speak Spanish. The neuropsychologist told me that a second language is always the first to go and people do revert to their mother tongue.

CareGiver-1

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Sorry guys, we cannot play any kind of music -- it irritates her to no end. So silence is the key.

Last edited:

CareGiver-1

Aug 21, 2014
USA
MIL has lost the ability to understand the words "daytime" and "nighttime" in English and French. Today she is telling me that I have turned crazy. I left the room and the husband is taking care of this one.:mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch