It's not always bad

Chocolateear

Aug 7, 2014
Dorset

It's my birthday today and I deliberately kept it out of the conversation because I quite expected my husband to forget.
He is deteriorating steadily and his days are contracting as his stamina is disappearing, his mobility is getting worse and he finds his head is more and more like a snow dome that's been shaken. He can't go out alone now and his phone ends up in the bin he gets so frustrated with it.
I didn't want him to be upset or embarrassed so I thought if I didn't say anything he'd be spared the distress.
Bless his heart. He contacted his daughter on the quiet and arranged with her help to have the most beautiful flowers delivered this morning. Then, at lunchtime we made our way into town slowly and he took me to a lovely lunch. Taxi home and he's fast asleep now. The memory of today out weighs all the frustrations, worries and distress that has gone before.
I'm so proud of him because of the enormous effort it must have taken.
NPH may be gradually taking him away but it hasn't beaten us yet.:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh how absolutely lovely. You must be so proud and happy. Oh, by the way- happy birthday! x

margaret g

Nov 9, 2013
How lovely, hold on to that,, happy birthday x

Sent from my C5303 using Talking Point mobile app

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Happy Birthday to you Chocalateear, and allow me a virtual handshake to your husband for the effort he made.So happy for you.
keep smiling,
malomm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Happy Birthday! What a wonderful surprise-one that you will, I am sure, always really cherish and hold close to your heart. Great!

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I don't need to say happy birthday as it obviously was, but I will anyway. What a wonderful day and a wonderful memory it has given you. I am so pleased to read this x

Chocolateear

Aug 7, 2014
Dorset
Thank you everyone for your lovely messages and good wishes. I'm not thinking about tomorrow until it comes and even then I'm looking for all the sunshine each day brings.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Absolutely amazing. My 50th on 22nd august was a disasaster and he wouldn't even copy his name onto the card I bought. Your husband has done you proud and the ability was probably helped by your good caring and putting him in a place where he was able to cope. All I get is the more I help him the worse it gets. Make the most of such fabulous times they can be few and far between, but can happen unexpected.
Happy birthday.
Love and hugs angela.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

lu

Feb 9, 2014
Happy Birthday, Chocolateer.....It tingled right down my spine to hear you describe it. Think of this when you have a bad day...it is surprising sometimes how beautifully they can do when you least expect it. The little saying that is uplifting for me is : those who think sunshine brings happiness have never danced in the rain.....so we can find happiness dancing in the rain. Sunshine is not always part of our days.... Blessings