Some comfort

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Yesterday in the Daily Mail was an abridged extract from "More time for politics: Diaries 2001-2007 by Tony Benn.
In them he describes his feelings after losing his beloved wife.
I can relate to all that he described.
Since losing my precious Peggy I have experienced every emotion that he describes.
Funny thing it gave me some comfort reading his account.
Norman

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Norman,
I imagine the comfort you felt was similar to the comfort people feel finding TP. It's the knowledge that we are not alone in our situation and emotions that helps. Not funny at all.
Love,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Norman, I'm glad you found some comfort in the article.

The truth is that we all go through the same emotions when we lose someone we love. Not in the same order, or at the same rate, but they hit us all at some time.

Many of us here on TP have gone through the same experience, and the same feelings, and know how hard it is for you. It's still so fresh for you.

Give yourself time. It will get easier, but the pain won't ever go away. At least, it hasn't for me.

You've got many friends on TP, please come and talk to us.

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I can only but try to imagine how Norman feels, but I do have a little insight of how he still tries to help others even at this time.

Norman was speaking the launch of Counsel & Care’s Guide to Using Direct Payments, at City Hall, London earlier this month. I went along, in my misguided way thinking I would ‘support’ Norman. Actually I learned a lot from him, not only about Direct Payments, but how to conduct yourself and think of others, even in a period of mourning.

Norman is so well respected, and he spoke very knowingly about the help there is out there, notwithstanding that it is not always easy to access. His kindness and courtesy to me is something I shall always remember

Norman, I am so glad something gave you comfort, as you give so much to others.
Love, as always

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have always had a lot of respect for Tony Benn, and remember when his wife died.
I`m glad you were comforted by his words Norman, he is such an articulate and sensitive person, very often misunderstood.
And I`m pleased you were able to share his emotions. As Joanne said, that`s the reason we come to TP.
Love xx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I have written to Tony Benn and told him how his words helped me,it is in his latest book,but I do not think I will pay £18 for a copy!!!

Connie when I was at City Hall I was talking to 150-200 people,I did not know 199 of them but to know I had one friend in the audience helped a lot.
Norman

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Had a beautiful note today from Tony Benn.
He also sent me a poem which had been sent to him.
I will seek permission to put it TP
Norman

Sep 21, 2005
bradford
loved the poem

Brucie justread poem and lovedit but what really had me in tears wasthe small photo of the Matterhorn , Trev climbed the north face of this mountaun ,not too many years ago, hard to believe now, but glad he experienced life highs and lived life as a lion not a lamb, any more photos of your lovely garden ,so enjoy seeing them, and any other tp members would love to see photos of your gardens, icannot manage to attach photos, must get 8 year old grandsons help
best wishes pam

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Bruce
that was not the poem that Tony Benn sent me,I do have that one.
The I now have is "Letter from heaven".
Do you know it?
Norman

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
That is the one Bruce.
I found it a real tear jerker.
Made me cry.
It is on the site now so people can read it.
When I read it I remembered Peg saying if I died first she wouldn't be able to find the way, and me.
If she died first she would get lost.
That poem made me think about that!!
Norman

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Just sitting here weeping.

The "Do not stand at my grave" poem I also knew, but not this one.
Such comforting words, both of them.

Thank you.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Just to say Norman, that I am great admirer of Tony Benn and always have me. Somehow, the fact that he has responded to you personally,does not surprise me.

He has many qualities which make him a human being who stands head and shoulders above mere politics.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Norman

no I have not seen that one - isn't it good?

also, so true, and good advice to try and flip the thing on its head and see a bright side in a sad situation.

I'll keep this one for sure!

thanks!

Tina

May 19, 2006
Norman said:
Bruce
Have you got this one?
Norman

The "You can shed tears..." is by David Harkins. Seeing the poems you both mentioned in your posts brings back memories...we used them at funerals or in a family notice and I used the David Harkins one when I had to write a sympathy card to my uncle in memory of my aunt. Captures really well what she would have wanted for us who stayed behind. Trying to live up to it is hard sometimes though. But these words have often helped me.

All the best,
Tina

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27